Extrude popup

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

chrismontijn
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:48 pm

Extrude popup

Post by chrismontijn » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:01 pm

Could someone explain to me why I need to confirm when I extrude in editmode? There's no other option, so why the popup? If you need to extrude a lot, it's a bit annoying. Also, you don't need to confirm scaling or the like...

Or is there a way to disable it?

Chris

kino
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:37 pm

Re: Extrude popup

Post by kino » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:28 pm

chrismontijn wrote: Or is there a way to disable it?

Chris
No but an option to disable will be good

if you are able to code
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... pic&t=2660

kino
kino3d.com italian site

ideasman
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:37 pm

Post by ideasman » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:43 pm

With extrude, even if you cancel it (hit escape) the extrusion is executed with no offset.

(just hit G again and see)

Now blender has an UNDO I think the workflow can be improved by removing confirmation popups like this one.

- if the user didnt want to do it then he can undo it, rather then being asked weather he want to do it in the first place.

Thats my view ;) whats the concensus?

- Cam

Eric
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:01 pm
Location: Sweden, Norrköping

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:10 pm

ideasman wrote:With extrude, even if you cancel it (hit escape) the extrusion is executed with no offset.
You're wrong.

theeth
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:47 am
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Post by theeth » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:25 pm

Eric wrote:
ideasman wrote:With extrude, even if you cancel it (hit escape) the extrusion is executed with no offset.
You're wrong.
He's right, and that's exactly why there's a confirmation pop up, since cancelling the grab following the extrusion doesn't cancel the extrusion.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

meestaplu
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:45 pm
Location: CT

Post by meestaplu » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:35 pm

<I have removed this content>

Here is what ideasman was saying:
If you press the EKEY and then accept the confirmation dialog, an extrude operation takes place. If you then hit escape or right click, the extruded vertices remain, but are not offset from the original vertices.

However, if you hit escape at the the confirmation dialog or otherwise do not accept it, the extrude operation doesn't take place.

And here's my view on things -- it's not a consensus, really, but maybe it's a consensus of all of my brain cells!

The confirmation dialog should be removed; it slows down workflow slightly, and now that undo exists, the slowdown is unnecessary. However, it should be possible to cancel the extrude operation by right clicking or pressing escape; this would be consistent with canceling other operations such as grab or rotate.

What does anyone else think?

Matt
Last edited by meestaplu on Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt_e
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by matt_e » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:54 pm

It would be faster, but remember not all extrudeable obData types have Undo yet. Anyone want to volunteer for curve undo? :)

Eric
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:01 pm
Location: Sweden, Norrköping

Post by Eric » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:12 am

meestaplu wrote:
I see that you have not yet advanced beyond the form of debate used often by three year old children. Come on, you post on this forum quite a bit; you should know better than to provide unsubstantiated, confrontational answers. I trust you'll do better next time. :wink:
You're wrong ofcourse.
meestaplu wrote:Here is what ideasman was saying:
If you press the EKEY and then accept the confirmation dialog, an extrude operation takes place. If you then hit escape or right click, the extruded vertices remain, but are not offset from the original vertices.

However, if you hit escape at the the confirmation dialog or otherwise do not accept it, the extrude operation doesn't take place.
You probably understand, just aswell as I, that I read ideasman's post completely wrong and judged from that.

fligh
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:28 pm
Location: US

Post by fligh » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:02 am

meestaplu wrote:
However, it should be possible to cancel the extrude operation by right clicking or pressing escape; this would be consistent with canceling other operations such as grab or rotate.
and I assume then that you mean by using RMB or escape that the extra verts from the extrude are also deleted, and this would be consistent with... ?
I'm happy the way it is. Multiple extrudes are available in the mesh tools as 'Extrude Dup'.

%<

meestaplu
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:45 pm
Location: CT

Post by meestaplu » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:46 am

Eric wrote:You probably understand, just aswell as I, that I read ideasman's post completely wrong and judged from that.
No hard feelings, Eric. :D
fligh wrote:and I assume then that you mean by using RMB or escape that the extra verts from the extrude are also deleted, and this would be consistent with... ?
I was thinking it would be consistent with canceling other operations, like grab or rotate, but now that I think about it, grab and rotate only cancel transformations. They don't delete anything. Now I see what you're talking about, and I agree with it. Don't know what I was thinking earlier.

Matt

ideasman
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:37 pm

Post by ideasman » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:14 am

Im sticking with my opinion that the popup is not needed

* Esc/RMB is not deleating anything realy, just not executing the creation of new verts.
*If the user wanted to extrude with no offset then he'd just make sure he didnt move the mouse.
Just do a: ( E, Enter )

Im not that fussed, and broken's point is good, but I dont think the lack of undo in other datatypes should stop this if its ultimatly better for workflow.

Whats the concensus now ;) ?

- Cam

matt_e
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by matt_e » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:20 am

ideasman wrote:Im not that fussed, and broken's point is good, but I dont think the lack of undo in other datatypes should stop this if its ultimatly better for workflow.
Well it's not so good for workflow when you extrude a point on a curve, and don't have that extra bit of 'safety'.

I think what's largely causing this problem is that extrude isn't really a 'feature' in itself. Extrude basically just creates a new vertices attached to the selected vertices, then calls the grab function. If the extrude function was somehow, an 'all-in-one' thing, then by cancelling the manipulation (grabbing) then it would cancel the creation of the new vertices too. Is there any way that this could somehow be shoehorned into the current system? Relying on undo is not as good a solution as it could be - ideally, people should be able to get what they want the first time, without having to go backwards and forwards. IMO not having undo for so long is a contributing factor in Blender's fast workflow.

Money_YaY!
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:47 pm

Post by Money_YaY! » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:50 am

I to was going to try and do it but have no time. And can barely read the code to hack it in. So unless somebody can post a few details for what to hack I can do little for the idea. Would like to but just can't .

Now if we could get an "extrude mode" Where what ever face you select and press g-grab it would just do the extrude right away with out any stupid e key or pop up thing.

So it would also work like right click select face draw a mouse line and that would do the exturde thing . That would be cool and fast .

fligh
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:28 pm
Location: US

Post by fligh » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:19 pm

A possible solution (without popup) would be: When you hit E the new verts are created 1 unit away from the verts they are exrtuded from (at the moment the default direction is Z but it could be changed). Then, if you decide to RMB or Enter to cancel, the new verts are just an X away from removal.

%<

Carnivore
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:27 pm

Post by Carnivore » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:16 pm

The verts are "an X away from removal" because if you extrude and cancel, only the new vertices are selected, they are simply in the exact same location as the original verts making it look as if those were selected too. Try it.

Post Reply