Extrude popup

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bellorum

halelujah!

Post by Bellorum » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:43 pm

It's not a matter of people being too lazy to learn things. Keep in mind that while it might be easy for you to remember a particular key combination, but I can't remember them for the life of me. (All I can remember is that some Alt/Ctrl/Meta key is used. Or is that some other program?) And what about the user who has to bounce from one application to another? Should they be penalized for not being able to keep the magic keystrokes of a dozen applications in their heads?

As far as scripts are concerned, they do create an extra step (actually several extra steps) for the user, since you can't call them from hotkeys or the menu. Wings users use Extrude Along Normal all the time - it's one of the most common operations in box modelling. Imagine that you had to call a script every time you'd do Grab, and you get the idea.
Amen, brother. You said it all:)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

tuinbels

Post by tuinbels » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:26 pm

niket wrote:tuinbels,
Thanx for your efforts but we all know that using scripts for like these tool is just temporary it lower your speed so practically just a toy.. sorry to say but it is fact.
Strong opinion you have...
Next time you may want to include some arguments to support that opinion, otherwise you should keep it for yourself...

I do realise that as a script it has its drawbacks, and that it would be nice and better to have it hardcoded in blender, but then you need someone who is willing to code it. Until that time, use the tools you have to do what you want to do.

On a sidenote, the script has the advantage that it works from faceselect mode, with the result that you can select exactly those faces you want to extrude, without extruding the faces inbetween that share the same verts.

AFAIK, it is impossible to do that from editmode in blender.
So maybe its better to first rewrite/modify/implement a real/other faceselectmode (as in wings) and after that, add tools that work from faceselectmode. Because just implementing it in editmode will never work as in wings.

just my 2 cents... :)

greets,

Wim

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:48 pm

dcuny: You are absolutely on the right track!

tuinbels: I am doing a proposal about implementing a proper Face and Edge mode, so that the Mode selector will show the following:

• Object Mode
    Vertex Mode
    (basicly as current Edit Mode)
    Edge Mode (as Wings Edge Mode)
    Face Mode (as Wings Face Mode)
    UV Mapping (basicly as current UV Face Select mode)
    Vertex Paint
    Texture Paint

I'll post it in the Interface and Tools forum under the Interface Improvement Proposal post when it is done

niket

Post by niket » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:01 pm

ilac wrote: Don't know where you're getting your facts from but I strongly suggest you change your sources...

You have a right to your opinion but you have no right to call your opinion a fact.
hum, u feel that then sorry, but my arguments is
1) to use u need to enter first in face mode.
2) i can't figure out how to do many repetive extrude oprations. because it duplicate mesh.
3) in my job local extrude in X,Y,Z works for many cases.
and as u said it is just better than nothing. but it is also a life saver when all other doors are closed.
:)

tuinbels

Post by tuinbels » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:27 am

niket wrote:my arguments is
1) to use u need to enter first in face mode.
2) i can't figure out how to do many repetive extrude oprations. because it duplicate mesh.
3) in my job local extrude in X,Y,Z works for many cases.
Thanks for the feedback! :)

1) is the same as in wings,
2) Like extruding a face several times? This was already possible, just increase the segments slider.
2) changed the duplicate thing, you can now choose to use the original mesh, or create a new one.

The new/edited mesh stays now in faceselectmode (stupid mistake of me)
And an advantage is that you can use UNDO. If you already edited the mesh before using the script, enter editmode from faceselectmode and pressing UKEY will undo the extrude.

I hope it is usefull now :)

greets,

Wim

almost forgot the link:
http://users.pandora.be/tuinbels/script ... gnormal.py

niket

Post by niket » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:10 pm

I hope it is usefull now
Too much usefull thanx man..! now works smooth
:D