Extrude popup

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

fligh wrote:A possible solution (without popup) would be: When you hit E the new verts are created 1 unit away from the verts they are exrtuded from (at the moment the default direction is Z but it could be changed). Then, if you decide to RMB or Enter to cancel, the new verts are just an X away from removal.

%<
To confusing. :D

theeth

Post by theeth »

Carnivore wrote:The verts are "an X away from removal" because if you extrude and cancel, only the new vertices are selected, they are simply in the exact same location as the original verts making it look as if those were selected too. Try it.
Ok, try it when extruding a face, or better, a group of faces linked together.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore »

Right you are. But if no doubles or anything are created that way (it looks like "grab faces" or smth) and you cancel, what's the problem? *confused*
Either way, anything is just an "U away from undo" anyway. Can't argue with that, can you? ;)

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

I think I am going to try this.

The first method will be getting rid of the evil popup.
Then second will be to create a Draw mode. In draw mode the extrudes will be activated by the move command. So that means that the G key will act as an extrude command and automaticly a move command. In addition to this the mouse draw command will also act as a g command as normal. So you could truely just select a face and draw a line to have the face extrude. Now only if it could extrude as separate faces.

All of this is truly useless, but it will make for a faster extrude. Which in it'self is also useless, but useless features can be fun .. eh what ever. I will see if I can do it with a LOT of help from the commune...

till then ... ^v^

theeth

Post by theeth »

Ok, and how do you just move without extruding when using your funny feature?

Martin
- John Lennon

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

theeth wrote:Ok, and how do you just move without extruding when using your funny feature?

Martin
It is all in blender already . I will just be remapping the functions around. With bad spelling :D

The G key does the moving. And the Draw mouse in a line will create a grab command. All of that is already in blender. All I would need to do is make Blender create the extrude fisrt then go into grab command.

chrismontijn

Post by chrismontijn »

I see there is a lot of discussion on the topic. I must admit that i did not look too deep into the matter at forehand. Maybe this is a solution:

when you press "E" a popup is displayed with two options:

once
continuesly

"once" works as the original entry.
"continuesly" results in a repeating extrude. When user clicks left mousebutton, he confirms previous extrude and begins new extrude. This repeats until ESC is pressed.

Problems: i do not see how to scale or otherwise transform extrusions when working continuesly. But then there is always the old way of doing things...

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

chrismontijn wrote:Maybe this is a solution:

when you press "E" a popup is displayed with two options:

once
continuesly

"once" works as the original entry.
"continuesly" results in a repeating extrude. When user clicks left mousebutton, he confirms previous extrude and begins new extrude. This repeats until ESC is pressed.

Good idea !
Like I said this is mostly a useless feature. Skin grafting will be a better feature, but I can not even fanthom the Idea on how to do that . So I will just do this. Untill I can figure out how the make IK chains springy

theeth

Post by theeth »

chrismontijn wrote:Problems: i do not see how to scale or otherwise transform extrusions when working continuesly. But then there is always the old way of doing things...
That's not a problem, as long as you call the transform function, you can freely switch between scale, grab or rotate.

Martin
- John Lennon

chrismontijn

Post by chrismontijn »

theeth wrote:
chrismontijn wrote:Problems: i do not see how to scale or otherwise transform extrusions when working continuesly. But then there is always the old way of doing things...
That's not a problem, as long as you call the transform function, you can freely switch between scale, grab or rotate.

Martin
Ah. And for the sake of consistency, continuesly extrude should end by pressing X, so the active vertices will be deleted. But maybe that is too counterintuitive...

Chris

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

chrismontijn wrote:
theeth wrote:

Martin
Ah. And for the sake of consistency, continuesly extrude should end by pressing X, so the active vertices will be deleted. But maybe that is too counterintuitive...

Chris
But that would remove the face for it and leave a hole.

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

So shall I start ? What code am I looking for to remove the pop up box for extrude ?
In space.c

Well I now know how to make it NOT work
I removed the box pop up, but now it will not extrude
:p

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

Almost there ! Intrr help a Bunch. Well pretty all of it , But I hacked it :D
It removes the pop up.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek »

One possible solution to the canceling of extrude would be this

Press E
--Code Pushes Undo Mesh
--Code Creates 2nd Set of Points
--Code Calls Grab

User Moves verts around

If User Cancels Grab
--Code Pops the Undo Mesh and mesh is back to before E

If User Confirms Grab position
--Verts are placed and everyone is happy

I'll look into coding this and see how the workflow goes.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek »

Ok, by making transform() return a short (1 for not cancelled and 0 for cancelled) instead of void, extrude_mesh() can now check if the transform was completed or not. If it was completed, I just popped the 'extrude' step from the history. Otherwise the new points are placed in their new positions and only 1 step is put in the history called 'extrude'. and there is no 'Extrude' popup either. Would you like me to commit this to tuhopuu so you can check it out? I tried a little modelling with it, and it speeds up workflow IMHO.