Appalling support for Max and Maya key sets

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

actuallystarky

Appalling support for Max and Maya key sets

Post by actuallystarky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:36 am

Hello. My name is Jason Stark. I am a games developer with over 15 years of industry experience. In that time I have used 3DS Max and Maya extensively for modelling and animation of characters, props and environments.

I have my own development studio, Disparity Games. We would really, really like to use Blender in our production pipeline. We strongly believe in their community-driven beliefs and would like to escape the increasingly tightening grip of Autodesk.

However.

I am currently hitting a a brick wall when it comes to support of anything but the default Blender shortcuts. Five months ago, when I first started investigating Blender I immediately noticed a number of glaring bugs in the Maya shortcuts. I entered all of them as bugs.

They are still not fixed. Some of them have been closed, but not actually fixed though amusingly the exact form of the bug seems to shift from version to version (try selecting edge loops and rings with the Maya shortcuts and you'll see what I mean). One bug has never been addressed and sits gathering dust in the bug tracker.

I can only take this to mean that the Blender dev team have zero interest in properly maintaining the Maya keyboard shortcuts. Interestingly, the incomplete and buggy nature of the Maya shortcuts have not stopped them from adding 3DSMax shortcuts. The 3DS shortcuts, BTW are in an even more broken state. I fail to see how they could possibly pass even the most rudimentary of testing.

Could the dev team please come clean, admit that the Maya / Max shortcuts are never going to work and please remove them? Either that or could they, heaven forbid, actually get them working? Having features on your intro splash screen that simply don't work and have never worked is misleading, sloppy and unprofessional.

Sincerely,

Jason Stark
Jason Stark
Founding Partner
www.disparitygames.com

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:51 am

I hear both Max and Maya have great support for their keymaps.

Blender keys are customizable now. Have at it! As always, patches are welcome.

http://www.blender.org/development/submit-a-patch/

actuallystarky

Post by actuallystarky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:24 am

stiv wrote:I hear both Max and Maya have great support for their keymaps.

Blender keys are customizable now. Have at it! As always, patches are welcome.

http://www.blender.org/development/submit-a-patch/
I appreciate the speedy and friendly reply. However, if the issues were solvable with a simple remapping my end, I would not be complaining. Indeed, I would be doing exactly what you suggested and contributing to Blender's development.

The issues I am having are with the shortcuts for selecting loops and rings in Maya mode. I've entered this bug before. It's been closed. It's never worked. In the dev's defence, it's always broken in slightly different ways. Oh, it also behaves differently depending on your platform as well (PC / Mac)

The other bug is viewport behaviour while using the knife tool, bug #34663. This bug is five months old, has never been addressed and is most definitely not fixable my end.

My initial request stands. Please make the alternate shortcuts actually work or remove them from the software.

I am happy to assist in bug tracking, reporting and if it's only keymap problems - with actual fixed patch files.

Thank-you.
Jason Stark
Founding Partner
www.disparitygames.com