Blender like maya...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Blender3d

Blender like maya...

Post by Blender3d » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:19 am

blender is a top notch animation software program.
it should keep going and form into a maya.

----------------------------------------------------
keep blender free!

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:35 am

form into maya?

how, what needs to change/improve. How is maya better?

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:22 am

Maya is better on many levels. It's worse on some others.
The main thing that is better on Maya is that when there is a new release it has new features, not just a facelift.

But lets make a little list:
It has dynamics.
Soft/Ridged bodies.
It has particles that can be changed in direction by wind, gravity or other forces.
Every slider / value is animatable.
Every slider / value is scriptable.
User can define own attributes without programming.
Driven keys.
It has deforming hiearchy (mutliple lattices and deformers on objects)
Fast bind tools for connecting meshes to bones.
IK / FK switching.
Paint effects.
NURBS / Curve editing. ( Intersect / Trim / Round tool )
N-gons.
Align tools, snap tools.
Character system with motion clip blending.
Audio in playback (for lip syncing)
Extensive Help.
Export to renderman, mental ray. Full raytracer.
Soft shadows.

Probably much more,...

steve_t

Post by steve_t » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:55 am

Here is my 18cents

- Hard edges in subsurf's
- A better way of manipulating project data and datablocks
- More and better constraints
- more options for character animation, More different kinds of bones
- Inverse and foreward kinematics
- A better way of doing facial animation and storing expressions
- Physics simulations with all objects and particles
-rigid and soft body's
-turbulance fields
- gravity fields
- Better Nurbs modeling
-surface trimming
-surface fillet
-project curve on surface
-brail tool
- Cloth simulation would be a pluss
- Better UV mapping
- better unwraping
- easier manipulation of uv's
- Better layer controll
- making sets and groups
- I personally like the split polygon tool.
- Some good network or cluster rendering options
- Ofcourse Paint effects

A number of these are being worked on right now. Some of them can be done through python like beast, dynamica, blendercad, cloth. Some must be hard coded like physics.

I was getting really excited about that VERSE thing.
I was having dreams that someday someone could be modeling in the US, someone could be texturing in Finland, someone could be animating in Japan, and someone could be Setting up the lighting and making test renders somewhere in Africa. All of them working on the same project with the same models and getting updates in realtime.
It could be the next big thing... but I havn't anything in a while about that.

Well this is all that I could think of.
Personally I like allot of blender stuff better than maya so I hope that this crazy development keeps going as fast as it has been.

Later,
Steve

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:41 am

okay you guys, lets stop worshipping maya, thats for a maya praise forum :roll:

blender is blender, and its an awesome program unlike any other, and it is constantly maturing and becoming more proffesional. why you (Blender3d) would want to turn it into maya i have no idea
:?

anyways, yes, maya is a great program, but we dont need any more maya-to-blender-comparisons/bashes.

just my two cents! :)

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:44 am

joeri wrote:The main thing that is better on Maya is that when there is a new release it has new features, not just a facelift.
2.31 was a little thin feature-wise, but it was really a bugfix release. What's the release schedule for Maya anyway? Once every year?
That could be the object of a full debate I guess, whether more time between releases is good or bad.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

steve_t

Post by steve_t » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:32 am

Comparison is not only good but nessisary! Every company must compare itsself to the industry leader inorder to gague their efforts and where they lie as a whole.

I wasn't bashing blender by anymeans by listing the things maya has that blender doesn't. Maya rightfully should have more features than blender... 1.it's the industry leader 2. they get like $6000 a copy.

I have a student version of maya unlimited and I still find myself going back to blender because I like it's way of doing things better.

A few years ago no one ever thought that linux would compete with microsoft, and look at where we are today. Now not many think that blender can compete with the big 3d apps. I think that in a few years they are all gonna be feeling the heat for real!

- steve

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:21 am

I was mearly answering the question z3ro_d asked:
z3r0_d wrote:How is maya better?
Steve_t seems to have pretty much the same stuff on his list.
And we didn't even mention the "undo" word.

Theeth:
Photoshop is released once a year or so, with a bug fix 2 months later.
A new photoshop will have (a) substancial new feature(s). A tool for the user to make his life on the job easier.
The new features are well documented and easy to learn; once a year.

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:29 am

So I'll make a list of what blender is better at then Maya :D

Polygon modeling ( hotkey - mouse coordination )
Fast subsurfs.
Object Isolated View ( "/" key )
Material assigning ( local mapping, every box will have own texture space )
Packed file.
Hotkey's.

And I wanted to say Game Engine, but I'm not,... there is no game egine.
Now there's an area where blender could really stand out of the crowd.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:51 am

I have a student version of maya unlimited and I still find myself going back to blender because I like it's way of doing things better.
Right on. I re-installed my old copy of Cinema 4D yesterday, and was uncomfortable at once with the workflow. This is the absolute strongpoint of Blender. This is however only one of few advantages over commercial applications like Maya, 3DS MAX and the likes. I really do feel Blender should conform more to the standards of the industry. I'm not saying it should become a clone, but if a certain function works well in Maya, why not have it work the same way in Blender - why rework the weel? And this whole attitude that "why have a way to this in one step, when you could it with just a few steps more in Blender?" is really annoying. I say "Why not?", if it helps make the program even better. I know this is a free program, and I shouldn't bitch about it, but if I, and others make suggestions it's because we want Blender to become the best there is.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

jo

Post by jo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:24 pm

ok, maya is a very powerful program. but blender is over 7000 $ cheaper ;-)

niket

Post by niket » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:46 pm

joeri wrote:So I'll make a list of what blender is better at then Maya :D

Polygon modeling ( hotkey - mouse coordination )
Fast subsurfs.
Without much powerfull Tools and Real Face mode , Edge mode modeling in Blender is so smooth. and when i model i feel like i am fighting with the system. maya never do what i want. and in blender i always produce clean mesh. and in maya i never ever able to produce clean mesh. :D

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:44 pm

I'm on a BA animation course in England at the moment, I have to use Maya for several hours every day, but I used Blender for 2 years in my spare time before I started this course, and it was Blender that got me started in 3D.

And which do I prefer?.....Blender, to be honest!!! Yes, Maya has a huge feature list. Yes Blender is cheaper. But neither of these is what's influenced me. The reason I prefer Blender is because of its interface, and because of its predictability. When me and my classmates are working on a project in Maya, every day you'll hear one of two questions:

1) How the hell do you do XYZ in Maya? I can't find it anywhere...
2) I just clicked on XYZ, and it's doing something completely different! Why???

Blender's interface is cleaner, and much easier to use. Once you've gotten used to the way that Blender's interface works, everything just makes sense. You know where to look for a feature if you're not sure where it is. Blender is also much more predictable - if you perform an operation, you just know it'll work.

Maya's interface on the other hand is much less intuitive. You need to know a lot more about Maya's internals and how everything interacts before you can really use it properly (and even then it can still surprise you).

IMHO, if Blender can increase its feature list without sacrificing its frankly awesome interface style, I dont think it'll be long before AW starts to feel the heat...

Just my $0.02, dont want to start a Blender - Maya war or anything...

LethalSideParting

steve_t

Post by steve_t » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:00 pm

One thing I HATE aboit maya is that it doesn't trust me to make my own decisions. If I want to delete verticies I want to delete some frickin verticies! I don't need to dig through sub menus to over ride it. If I want to delete an edge I want to frickin delete an edge! I don't care if it screws up my mesh! I am the ARTIST ...I have the VISION so back off!! Respect my authority!

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:30 am

Gahahah thats soooo true! I use to have maya from a friend and then trashed it. Bah only good thing in maya its animation system (powerful I must say)