New Community Gallery Owned By Hacker!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

fls13us

Post by fls13us » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:51 pm

Interesting how a virus just attacked my accounts at sites D'Andrea knew I had accounts at. Renderosity-Read the thread. He went on ad nauseum about my gallery at that site. Blender.org-He could reasonably assume I found out about his site from this one. Netzero-my ISP and the location of the email address I posted in my profile at his site. Very selective virus. You're such a computer expert. What virus can be so selective about what accounts at what sites to hack? All others were fine. Face reality. Read the thread at his site CAREFULLY! All members who have accounts here and at D'Andrea's site: Make sure you don't have the same user names and passwords at both sites, especially before making any purchases in the e-shop. D'Andrea is coming under heavy investigation in the coming days. And if you're such good friends of his, have him come and defend himself in this thread. I would, if someone were wrongfully accusing me or a friend of mine of illegal behavior.

conane

Post by conane » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:57 pm

He did write the comment about using different passwords, but thats like stating the obvious. Alot of internet amatuers use the same password for all of their accounts. Theyre easy prey.

Maybe you should consider the fact that hundreds of people read those comments before your unfortunate, but well deserved loss. Its not a private chatroom you know. It could have been any of them that were fed up with your attitude, seriously. Or, another obvious answer would be a virus, downloaded with very coincidental timing. But youre right, it sounds selective. Maybe you fudge up your own comp like andy said. Incopetence has its way of messing things up you know.

He did get a little dirty with the comments, but they were provoked with good reason. To argue with someone, its more effective to stoop down to their level sometimes so they can better understand =P

Sysadm's been around a while, so its pretty naive of you to think youll be able to convince us by blatantly accusing him without even questioning the situation inteligently first. Theres still always a possiblity though. Just because hes respected and been around a long time, doesnt necessarily mean he wouldnt do something like this. Everyone has a 'dark' side ;) Its a little suspicious in all honesty.. but id hack the hell out of you too if i could, but i dont think sysadm wasted his time....

@ndy

Post by @ndy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:08 am

the biggest mistake you could probably make in the internet [besides browsing on windows without firewall] is taking everything personal and sit there interpreting too much into words you see on your screen.

i did that in the past and it made me behave like a complete idiot.
please make 100% sure that you are writing the right thing and react in a different way, a thread like this way definately the wrong approach.
and please dont make more of an idiot of yourself...

.andy

fls13us

Post by fls13us » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:09 am

This is the content of an Instant Message I just received from the administrator of Renderosity.
Subject: Spike, I was told you can help me

Instant Message from Spike: Just changed your password to "12345" on the fls13 account

Please go update it asap.

I also banned the account of the other member

Spike (Sent 1/30 14:06)

It was a person who did this and not a virus and that person was Mike D'Andrea. Ask him if his account is still active at Renderosity. I'm an idiot for bringing this to people's attention? If you say so. I still haven't gotten a response from THE ADMINISTRATORS OF THIS SITE!

You hack me if you like, conane. Just be prepared for the consequences. :D

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:29 am

Send email to info (at) blender.org, the address listed for the webmaster. Explain that your password was changed by a third party, and provide the time it was done, as closely as you can estimate. Explain that you think it was another user on the forums, state who that is, and suggest they check their access logs for suspicious IP addressing coincidences.

The point of my last post was this: the Blender community is very tight. If you're going to show up here with one post to your name, making accusations against someone who has only done good by us, you'd better have some evidence or no one will listen to you. Personally, I think that the mods should take notice of this, investigate and resolve it conclusively, if possible. Something like this could very damaging to the community, true or not.

Obviously, though, you are very reactionary. You seem to take things typed into a forum very personally. Like @ner said, this can only hurt your case. If something was done to you, the logs will show that it wasn't you doing it to yourself out of spite. When you're the new guy in the room, you have to prove yourself. Ask the due from Renderosity what the offending IP was. If someone did that to a customer account on my server, it'd take all of 15 seconds to pinpoint their IP address.

As far as the comments in the gallery, you got stoopid before he did. It looks to me like he was just returning fire.

Hos

Post by Hos » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:35 am

Well I'm, like, totally convinced! Down with SysAdm!!!!

=D

Chris

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:53 am

uhh, you seem to act if this is a big deal

so, I have quickly compiled some immediate instructions on what to do
  1. calm down, please
  2. wait 30 or more seconds
  3. try to calm down some more
  4. consider how this thread is not the proper means to discuss this (we are apparently not about to rally against SysAdm)
  5. calm down some more
  6. umm

theeth

Post by theeth » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:50 am

Hos wrote:Well I'm, like, totally convinced! Down with SysAdm!!!!

=D
Off with his head! :wink: :roll:

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

engalicorn

Post by engalicorn » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:10 am

im all for artistic freedom and tollerence... if you were exploring the female figure then that would be fine. However this seams like a disgusting fantasy... a woman being beaten while held in a degrading position!

And if you are suggesting that a british subject would inflict this kind of torture on a witch then your quite mistaken. Do not forget that the witch trials were conducted by religious persons, with morals. Call it art if you like. But dont hide behind the fact that you think its art.

And if you found this scene in your history text then why would you choose to model it? I It is a disgusting depiction of torture, and if that tickels you fancy then i would ask you to keep it private.

Thats my two cents

ps. if you want to avoid online conflicts like this... avoid depicting torture in your art... for somepeople it is very close to home.
i wonder the the artist of the dolphine had his password changed... just a thought..

Carrot.nl

Post by Carrot.nl » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:18 am

engalicorn wrote:ps. if you want to avoid online conflicts like this... avoid depicting torture in your art... for somepeople it is very close to home.
I totaly agree! :!: :(

Another thing. On this moment the site is like the main gallary of the blender community. What message do we want to give new blender users. Kids could come to the site. There's nothing to pretect them from this horror. :x

ilac

Post by ilac » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:06 pm

fls13us wrote:"You must have missed those. And he indirectly admits what he did when he writes, "I would look into using different passwords for different websites."

And in fact, my user name and passwords to this site, Renderosity, D'Andrea's Blender site and my ISP, netzero, were all the same. Amazing how he knew that.
Why shouldn't he know that - when you told him yourself?

fls13 [Jan 29, 2004 @ 11:53 PM]
Gee, then how come my passwords to Renderosity, Blender.org and my ISP, which were the same as they are to this site, mysteriously changed about 2 hours ago? And here's an email I got from Renderosity a few minutes ago after I fixed the password. Hello fls13, This email is just to verify your email change. There is no need to reply. Who's the 13 year old, Mike?

SysAdm [Jan 30, 2004 @ 05:30 AM]
I tell you what... I will delete this entire comment thread for this image and I will NOT comment on it. I will leave it up to others to decide it's fate. As far as your mysterious accounts being changed, I would look into using different passwords for different websites. I have no idea what happened to your accounts, but I assure you, if I had anything to do with it, it would have been a lot worse. Like I said, all the users passwords are encrypted on THIS site, I don't know about your other sites.
You call that indirectly admiting?! :roll: Logic and common sense are not your strong points are they?

Grow up.

fls13us

Post by fls13us » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:20 pm

I like the way you morons pick and choose what to comment on. Whoever hacked my accounts, and it was D'Andrea, was a MEMBER at Renderosity who has since been banned, because the people who run that site, unlike this one, are professional. Pull your heads out of your asses children. And as for the content of my pick, so what? And where is he to defend himself, jackass?

B@rt

Post by B@rt » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:44 pm

Dude, just admit you threw away your cookies and forgot your original passwords ;-) Now go play somewhere else.

Cheers,

B@rt

ilac

Post by ilac » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:47 pm

fls13us wrote:I like the way you morons pick and choose what to comment on. Whoever hacked my accounts, and it was D'Andrea, was a MEMBER at Renderosity who has since been banned, because the people who run that site, unlike this one, are professional. Pull your heads out of your asses children. And as for the content of my pick, so what? And where is he to defend himself, jackass?
Pick and choose what to comment on?? So far you have proved absolutely nothing of all your accusations. On the other hand, I've proved that you twist the truth by quoting things out of context and lie about them. Which leads me to believe that everything else you've said so far is also a lie.

The only person visibly doing anything illegal so far is you. Ever heard of Libel? That's what you're doing. Get your conclusive proof before opening your mouth again.

I'm very surprised you haven't been banned yet - quite possibly because this is the very first time we have had to deal with someone so rude and immature on the Blender.org phorums. You're nothing but a troll.

Daniel_P

Post by Daniel_P » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:50 pm

I'm lurking around in several blender-related forums for over 2 years now, and I NEVER met someone like you. Congratulations, 7 posts and everybody loves you...

goodbye...

D.