Widecharacter (unicode) 3D fonts !

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

phase

Widecharacter (unicode) 3D fonts !

Post by phase »

Hey all,

I managed to expand Blender's font loading routine, so it collects
the characters from a specified (unicode) text file !
This is a dirty hack which breaks the possibility to type in the text
manually, but allows you to load exotic characters for a Text object.

Don't expect this feature to be part of the upcoming 2.32 release,
but I will try to clean it up so it can be added to Tuhopuu Blender.
Perhaps it can become part of the official Blender in the future.

Regards,
Rob.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

That sounds like a nice feature for workflow improvement. Screenshot looks nice too :)

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Looks like something that would help with making matrix-like animations...heh...

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

This is an excellent development; it will finally allow real opening and closing quotation marks to be used easily. It's a minor detail in functionality, but goes a long way in making the program complete. Great work.

Matt

modron

Post by modron »

I have a program that makes ttfs from black and white images that i am using to make an alphabet that resembles a series of sci fi panels. If anyone else wants to give it a try, it's called font creator 4, and you can use it for 30 days without buying it. I've been able to make some fairly complex designs into fonts, and though I have noticed, every once in awhile, you will get a face intersecting where it shouldn't be, it's quite easy to go into the font program and simplify the offending geometry from there. Really handy. I also used it to create some exotic architechtural elements.

modron

Post by modron »

I have a program that makes ttfs from black and white images that i am using to make an alphabet that resembles a series of sci fi panels. If anyone else wants to give it a try, it's called font creator 4, and you can use it for 30 days without buying it. I've been able to make some fairly complex designs into fonts, and though I have noticed, every once in awhile, you will get a face intersecting where it shouldn't be, it's quite easy to go into the font program and simplify the offending geometry from there. Really handy. I also used it to create some exotic architechtural elements.