Can some explain blender and its possible applications

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

whackazog

Can some explain blender and its possible applications

Post by whackazog »

I'd like to know what applications this program is designed to handle, is it a competiter to flash, java, photoshop? Who's using this, and for what? Is it designed for the internet, editing video, creating games? I see this is a well operated open source community but I just cant figure what this program is used for. I see pics and 3d models, I just dont see it being applied anywhere. Perhaps its just a hobby item for geeks to play with and communicate about. Other then that, It seems pretty useless.

ilac

Re: Can some explain blender and its possible applications

Post by ilac »

whackazog wrote:I'd like to know what applications this program is designed to handle, is it a competiter to flash, java, photoshop? Who's using this, and for what? Is it designed for the internet, editing video, creating games? I see this is a well operated open source community but I just cant figure what this program is used for. I see pics and 3d models, I just dont see it being applied anywhere. Perhaps its just a hobby item for geeks to play with and communicate about. Other then that, It seems pretty useless.
:roll:
It's a 3D program. It competes with other 3D related programs (which Flash, java, and photoshop are NOT). You use it to create (model and texture) 3D 'stuff'. You can also use it to animate your 3d 'stuff'. There are various applications of this 3d 'stuff': artworks for fun, work, adverts (print and TV), posters, illustrations, architecture, commercials, FX, concept visualisation, interactive material, animations etc etc etc.

Its just as much "its just a hobby item for geeks to play with and communicate about." as any other software out there - and I don't just mean 3D or graphical software.

If you think its useless, then you obviously don't need it so move along or take the time to look up 3D and it's applications and uses. You might discover a new calling! :wink:

whackazog

Post by whackazog »

Ok, it competes with other 3d programs, like? And dispite your list, I just dont see it beening applied in everyday situations, maybe you can list some links to sites that use it, not just fun pics. I cant really say its like photoshop or flash in the hobby for geeks, those are commercial products used alot, and community would be created outside the site. I think this program isnt going places dispite its potential that I'm not aware of because, I think only individuals use it. There dont seem to be a market for it.

And dont take a hostile tone with me mister, I'm just trying to determine its potential application in business, something you must no little about. :twisted:

theeth

Post by theeth »

cant really say its like photoshop or flash in the hobby for geeks, those are commercial products used alot, and community would be created outside the site.
You're right, there's no 3D graphic community, that's something that just doesn't exists.

Just how did you find this site here anyway if you don't know anything about 3D graphic?

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

leon

Post by leon »

you know what's funny? The name whackazog sounds just like something out of fantasy novels, like tolkien etc. A troll maybe?

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 »

now now leon, no need to be rude to a guest, :)

if you find the time and are willing to do the effort, go to the first page of this site once again and read about the EU-support.

because something isn't the widely used today, doesn't mean it won't be in the future.

take linux, ten years ago not that many people knew about it, these days redhat has a deal with china to supply software (china having the biggest population .......)

No Market leader is oppointed forever, kingdoms rise and fall :)

Blender may make it or not. I do know that a lot of people (more and more everyday) are joining hands to make it work

Anyway, Sceptisme or critisicme isn't wrong, just as long as you inform yourself addequately and are open for new idea's and change

oh well, babling, just my 2 cents

Greets
pinhead_66

ilac

Post by ilac »

pinhead_66 wrote:now now leon, no need to be rude to a guest, :)

if you find the time and are willing to do the effort, go to the first page of this site once again and read about the EU-support.

because something isn't the widely used today, doesn't mean it won't be in the future.

take linux, ten years ago not that many people knew about it, these days redhat has a deal with china to supply software (china having the biggest population .......)

No Market leader is oppointed forever, kingdoms rise and fall :)

Blender may make it or not. I do know that a lot of people (more and more everyday) are joining hands to make it work

Anyway, Sceptisme or critisicme isn't wrong, just as long as you inform yourself addequately and are open for new idea's and change

oh well, babling, just my 2 cents

Greets
pinhead_66
I don't think its Blender software per se that he is enquiring about. He appears to have no concept whatsoever of 3D or its uses... (ever been to the cinema or watched TV or played a 'recent' game??) Otherwise he'd be trying to justyify its existance in relation to other 3D programs, like Maya, XSI, Max etc and not a 2D image manipulation program like photoshop, a 2D vector animation program like Flash or a programing enviroment/language like Java.

Whackazog: My post was not meant to be hostile and sorry if it came across that way, but you shouldn't be passing judgement on things BEFORE you know what they are. I suggest you have a look at all the links Theeth posted or just put '3D' through google - then come back and discuss 'marketability' and application of 3D.

Blender is multi-purpose 3D open-source, application which can be used in most 3D related fields. it might not be on par with some of the major commercial brands in some areas but it delivers and many have been using it commercially for several years - I have been doing so for about 4 years now, mostly in the architectural and TV commercials field.

odyssey

Re: Can some explain blender and its possible applications

Post by odyssey »

whackazog wrote:I'd like to know what applications this program is designed to handle, .... Perhaps its just a hobby item for geeks to play with and communicate about. Other then that, It seems pretty useless.
whackazog, welcome to the forum. :)
Firstly, I have to point out that Blender is a tool, it doesn't do everything but it does a lot. Simply, and in its most basic form, it is an app for building 3D constructs. Your only limitation is the expanse of your imagaination.

Apart from being just a 3D modeller, it's also a content creator and compiler (for want of a better word) for game development; but the end result doesn't have to be a game, it could just as easily be an interactive presentation (see the PowerPoint plugin docs).

Perhaps you need to see how the business world is making use of Blender ? Myself, as well as my own multimedia business I also have a 9 to 5 working for a large oil and gas exploration firm. Blender is the choice 3D app for creating subsurface topography, modelling and animating fluid migration, whipstock and horizontal drilling plays, architectural walkthoughs for existing and concept facilities. Heck, we've even created offshore rigs and support vessels to animate our ventures for Investors, Public Relations and media.
whackazog wrote:Perhaps its just a hobby item for geeks to play with and communicate about. Other then that, It seems pretty useless.
Such a statement tells us you have very limited exposure to both the real and virtual world. An item is only rendered useless if it is failed by the imagination of its User.

First try using it, and when you run into difficulty, you'd be awed by the support, even from those of us you've flamed. :wink:

~Ciao !

@ndy

Post by @ndy »

whackazog wrote:I just dont see it beening applied in everyday situations
to make something clear, blender won't clean up your house or fix your lunch. :P

//edit: got a 'failed sending email' error again, and the post has not been updated... someone should really look into that.

.andy
Last edited by @ndy on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whackazog

Post by whackazog »

I dont think I was flaming anyone, it might have been the geek remark, which was just my way of descripting the community, I had thought the techys that mess around with technology were confortable with that term as I see them using it and selling it(example: www.thinkgeek.com). With links and some helpful posts I was able to learn what exactly blender is, I had no idea previously. I found this site when I was searching for open source projects, if that answers the question about how I found the site if it doesnt have a community. I guess stamping something 3d isnt the best descriptive term if you arent familiar with this medium like someone pointed out I wasnt. You hear so much about 3d, it becomes passe, when what you look at is still on a 2d display, and and we all know those 3d movies were a fade. Only good use for 3d is in models that you can move to see other angles from, not really a 3d image just containing the info for all angles to rotate it.

I found other app's from those links and see that like linux theres better commercial products out there, so ya I was right when I said this must be a hobby(flame) :P and technical like linux, so only geeks will be the ones using it.

Mats78

Post by Mats78 »

So at the end of the day this has gone nowhere... sigh.

I'm really sorry whackazog, I don't want to be rude, but comments like that make you look like an idiot.

If you have no interest whatsoever maybe you could consider _not_ starting threads like this one (I could start another endless fight about Linux vs. $ but for what?). There are a bit more important things in life so please, next time, if you don't like it leave it alone and go on - do the things YOU like... you don't always have to tell the world about it. Not wanting to use Blender is ok also.

Regards,
Mats

basse

Post by basse »

some of the uses for blender (or other 3d apps):

* designing
* presentation / visualization
* illustration
* animation

I use blender at my work. I do architectual visualizations.. I do posters, cards.. web page graphics.. where ever I need pictures.

and on the side, I'm doing game graphics.. animations.. short movies.. music videos.

just because you don't know what 3d applications are, doesn't mean they are useless.

.b

ghosty

Post by ghosty »

whackazog, I see you have done a little reading about what 3d is since the beginning of this thread. However, as I can see from what you said, you still need to do more reading before starting any meaningful disscussion.

As to the "geek" remark, no body here say they use blender because they are geeks (at least I did not), so please don't generalize other people base on what you think of them.

Aslo, you might want to double check what you type before hitting that submit button. too many typos.

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose »

whackazog

please be carefull what you're saying with that hobby thing.

Blender is multi platform! It runs on operating systems you don't even know they exist.

It is open source!
Every one can get the source code, look at it, see how it works, alter it .....

I'm a software pro for some ten years now.
I 've seen sources of profesional products.... hardly could believe this was running at all.

Though there are some historical "treasures", blender's code is far from beeing a quick and dirty hackers community scrambled egg. I know some pro coders that would whish their code was half as tidy as blender's is.

just my $0.02
bjornmose

fligh

Post by fligh »

Hey whahkazog, I know exactly what you mean! I saw something called "Excel", and another one called "Access", and they actually expected me to pay money to use them. I mean, what's up with that, and who could possibly find any actual use for these?
Just amazing what the industry will come up with to try to convince us what it is we can't do without.

%<