a "bug" I'd like back

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

NateTG

a "bug" I'd like back

Post by NateTG » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:02 am

Loopcut affected hidden verticies many moons ago. This was reported as a bug (so I'm told) and fixed. I would like that bug back (or atleast an option).

Here is why. Imagine: You are modeling the most gorgeous face, you have your edgeloops nicely laid out. But it's pretty high-res, so you hide the back of the head in order to clear up your screen. Now, you need to cut the loop that runs down the nose. You cut it. But now you have triangles on the forehead because Blender didnt cut the rest of the loop which runs around the back of the head. Now you have to unhide, cut, hide. Work. unhide, cut, hide. Work. unhide, cut, hide. Work.

The reason I'm posting is to determine what the other people think. Is this a bug that should remain squashed or should it be resurrected?

hanspb

Post by hanspb » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:30 am

I think the loop cut should affect hidden faces. Otherwise we will have too many unwanted tiangles. In some cases it might be desirable not to, so the best in my opinion would be to have both options.

-Hans Petter

ilac

Post by ilac » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:24 am

I agree. After all (though could be a bit complicated in certain situations) if you do not want to affect the hidden faces all you need to do is Loop select followed by Knife tool which won't affect the hidden faces!

NateTG

Post by NateTG » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:34 am

hanspb wrote:I think the loop cut should affect hidden faces. Otherwise we will have too many unwanted tiangles.
exactly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Can we get a coder's opinion?

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:45 pm

I like not affecting hidden faces. If it is brought back, perhaps as an option?

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:36 pm

I personally didn't have a problem with the way things were, but I also see that there should be an option to limit your loopcut to affect only the desired faces.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

shadowman99

Post by shadowman99 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:59 pm

It would make sense to me that if I am selecting a loop and it runs into my hidden faces, that those faces should mementarily become visible. As the cursor moves over different edge loops You would see the yellow outline run into the hidden area, and the impacted faces become visible. When you hit Enter or click your mouse on a specific loop in order to work, you would be prompted by a popup to choose if you want hidden faces to be selected for this operation.

For those who don't like popups, I think an option toggle in the drop downs is appropriate.

NateTG

Post by NateTG » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:33 pm

an option could be similar to the "smooth" option currently available for loopcut. (press S). perhaps you could press H to toggle "Cut hidden." No popups, easy to change. Of course the question becomes: what should the default be?