Uni-Verse?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

leinad13

Uni-Verse?

Post by leinad13 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:57 pm

Could someone please explain the consequences that the 1.9 million Euros will have on the Blender foundation. Does it mean that the foundation could maybe pay for such things as programmers and web developers, or artists to use the blender software to create a stunning show reel.

What does it mean. At them moment i cant see what the money could be spent on except the server fees etc... (Which i thought were cheap anyway due to sponsers)
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

fligh

Post by fligh » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:19 pm

Only a fraction of that amount goes (directly) to the foundation, and will be used (I hope) for R&D of Verse and not for the things you mention. At least not directly.

%<

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:27 pm

Ye 140,000 for the blender foundation, how can u spend that on R&D. That still doesnt explain what it will be spent on R&D can be conducted in many ways (I dont know any, but i know that it is). Will it be spent on Hardware, Services, People what. Also if this money is donated to the Blender foundation dont you think that founding members should have a say in what is done with it. Im not a founding member but if i was i would like to have a say in how the foundation was run. Unless this is a tyranny not a democracy. Of course this will probably happen, but at the moment all has been said is a few money figures. It seems alot has been conducted behind closed doors.

Then again i could be completly wrong, but it seems like at the moment not enough information seems to filter its way down to the users.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

engalicorn

Post by engalicorn » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:50 pm

im sure that ton and every other one else in charge just cant wait to tell everyone...

but everything takes time to write...
we just wish they could write faster

all in good time...

eskil

Post by eskil » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:13 am

I will try to explain.

Yes the EU has given some money but only a fraction of it goes the the foundation.

Ton has indicated that most will go to administration, of forums, sites, development, and fund raising, but some will also go to development. But we will have to see.

Some things you should know:

In all EU projects there is a lot of paper work and that costs money. usually a lot of money just run threw the cracks. Some times members of thees projects are only in it for the money and tries to produce as little as possible. But i dont think we have any members like that in our project. So dont expect too much.

The parts that are not blender will still use verse so even if we use verse the stuff will still work together.

You cant do what ever you want with the money. When you apply for the money you have to specify what you will do with it. And if you do something else EU may (at least in theory) ask to get the money back. Now one of the hardest things about applying for money for EU is that on one hand you want to be really clear about what you want to do so that you get the money, but on the other hand you want to be as unclear as possible so that you can have as much freedom as possible. Want you dont want is to work on a project and find out that what you have promised to do cant be done.

I will look in to if we can post the project application documents online so that you all can read what we promised to do.

Usually in a an open source project you dont need to decide what to do because people do what they want. so you get the stuff people do. In this case we are planing to do something new and cool but we need to have some people start it up. as soon as there is something, the community will take over. So the money will just pay for the start.

E

eskil

Post by eskil » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:29 am

Forgot one very important thing:

Obviously getting money, is a huge deal for blenders credibility. Very few project where selected, and EU is notorious for being hard to get threw to, so this really means that what we are doing is the right thing. When ton goes out to talk to companys and ask for sponsorships or when he is applying for money this will matter. It is a way of proving that we are the real deal.

E

jeotero

Post by jeotero » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:24 am

Congratulations Eskil, Emil and Ton.

Would be great to read the project documents, to know what you "promised" to do.

This surely will help blender credibility, but also the Verse credibility...

I'm sure you guys Eskil, Emil and Ton, would not waste the money as your goal is research, knowledge and having fun while hacking all this together and not money.
I'm South american, and its with jealousy and admiration that taxpayers money can be spend to increase knowledge and the research of new ideas.

I just look forward to say congratulations again in three years when thanks to this grant, Verse, blender and all your ideas had grown to new heights.

Jorge

p.d. he he sorry about the english ...

levon

Post by levon » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:09 am

go on, blow it all on crack for one weekend of fun!!!

nah this is great news, all of your apps that use verse, nil etc. are such a new way of thinking. i love the interface, though i have had trouble getting them to do much :P

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:10 am

Thanks eskil that clears it up. I didnt really know much about this type of grant and wasnt sure if you could spend it wot u like. Good luck, and all the best for the projects in the future.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

eskil

Post by eskil » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:36 pm

Apparently I cant give out the complete document, (according to swedish law it is public but according to EU it is secret) But we are working on creating a document without the secret stuff that only contains the stuff about what we are to do. so just hold on.

E