Why Blender progresses strangely?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

E2CMonkeyboy

ignoramus popularus

Post by E2CMonkeyboy »

Well, well - is this the pot calling the kettle black? Seems this troll spoke an opinion on "General News and Chat" - specifically the "why blender progresses sooooo strangely" and struck a cord with someone - my opinion is just that - mine. But here I am allowed to express it.
About the manual - I have the cow one - sell the current one in stores and I'll go out and buy one - sorry - wont buy a car without a test drive either - guess that makes me a mountain troll.
And - before you spout flames in any direction just ponder this - the Micro$oft crowd goes home after creating their devilish software and feeds their families with their earnings - you - who wants blender for free go home and feed your family off what income? Certainly not your "open source" I hate Micro$oft free software.
Blender is a nice program - can be much better - but if everything were ok with it - then would there be none to complain?
C'mon folks - lets get off the high horse and help blender for what it is - the garage ham radio - the kit plane - I didn't see credits scroll by Toy Story 2 for blender when my kids watched it, nor Ice Age, nor any other 3D movie so far. But one day - if the "my software is sooo cool its open source and free, free, free" folks let their ego's deflate and pitch in and help blender then just then we'll see blender in a 3D movie one day. But by goodness - that will mean blender would have sold out and gone comercial!!!!! - what a dichotomy ha folks? You all want sigraph to support open source and not be so comercial - but would you not cut off one of your - never mind - wouldn't you like to see it in the movie theaters?

man
never mind - I feel like a parent scolding their child for getting a C when you know they are capable of gettings A's.....

-Monkey

And yes - I do feel better now :D

Mats78

Post by Mats78 »

I really liked the part where "no wonder miscrosoft and 3Dmax have no worries"...

-giggle-

ascotan

Post by ascotan »

Jez alot of flaming here! If you have a feature request mmh you could simply post it here:
feature requests
Or you could try to work with others on some implementation of your ideas.
I didn't see credits scroll by Toy Story 2 for blender when my kids watched it
I not sure I care if blender is every used to develop movies, but I do think it's a great educational tool both for modeling and coding. (I also think this it's a great tool for games. :) )Blender has a lot of potential and I think a lot of that potential is in its ability to be shaped by coders and users (like linux).

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Hey Monkeyboy, what's with the name?

:)

leinad13

Post by leinad13 »

ascotan wrote:Jez alot of flaming here! If you have a feature request mmh you could simply post it here:
feature requests
Ye thats great lets add to the already thousands of features requested which are never assigned to anyone anyway. SO whats the point in that.

EDIT: I jsut checked again and i was right of the over 500 requests 1 has been assigned to a coder. Now thats what i call bloody usfull.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

E2CMonkeyboy

ok, now that's discussion!

Post by E2CMonkeyboy »

And to you Monkeyboi - its a call sign :)P - as you can imagine on the sexy scale - from Mavrick and Ice Man flying F-14's - you can probably imagine what I fly ;)

But onto blender - seems 500 features and 1 assigned is a little excessive - but once again - am I the only one who see's almost no activity on the developement forums?

Blender has come along way - and I've come along way in using it - but I'm still a beginner and its a hobby only. I've seen some outrageous stuff developed by it and I'm still building boxes with miffed up textures but I know what can be done - its the whole teaching thing - blender is sooooo under documented. I'd like to see the new manual - but they seem to not want to put example chapters on the net - so I guess I wont own it (like I said before - I won't be the first guy to buy a new car without a test drive...)

-Monkey (the real one)

:wink:

leinad13

Post by leinad13 »

No they are posting the content of the manual on the web but not the designed version like they said they would. So you will probably get just as much info from the manual as i would, and i bought it :shock:

But at the time i was glad to buy it and support development, but im not so sure anymore, the community and foundation seems to have taken a direction i dont really like. And the long delay for the manual, means i wont be ordering another of the future ones, unless promised free beer.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

sten

Post by sten »

leinad13:

hey....you got no paitience what so ever do you?

and if not using Blender what tool would you use, you have such much money buying another of the not-free-tools?? (as in the big ones, max, maya, lw and etc.)

I would consider getting the manual a pretty cheap learningcurve :)

:roll:

leinad13

Post by leinad13 »

Yes i know i have no patients but i cant help it. And you cant deny that the feature request page is a bit of a joke. And imagine you bought a book off amazon, then you got an e-mail saying it had been shippped. But you read on their site it hasnt and then it takes another 2 months to be shipped. I dont think you would be a happy bunny. I work in retail and i know that that is not good customer service.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

sten

Post by sten »

heh hell no...

I have inside information and I was one of the very first to order it, as matter of fact #12 and all via Blender's E-shop...and also, I know personally the person head of the documentation, and I have no problem getting a high quality manual/guide to stunn the world with...I dont know, maybe it has to do with age, the older the more paitience you got :)

so I have paid, and I can wait, I want a product with high quality rather than a shitty one...

so if you aren't satisfied with the fundings ,community, features, coding, development and everything else, why do you still hang around even?

my 2 kronors :P

leinad13

Post by leinad13 »

Because their is always hope for things to get better, i honestly think that at the moment the foundation is a low patch. But it will pull through and out.

I also know that the manual will be a whoping great 750 page masterpiece probably. But You also have to see it from a customers point of view when something is 2 months later than it should be, people get pissed off. I have seen here on the forums people who are genuingly upset because now the manual is late they probably wont have time to read it etc...

And i notice you convieniently have avoided the topic of the feature request page which is a riduclous farce.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

sten

Post by sten »

lol,
don't know I shall respond to your last comment...

:roll:

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Post by Michel »

leinad13 wrote:...but not the designed version like they said they would.
Please, can you point out the location where that has been said, because I think I've missed something. It has never been said that the designed version will be put online.
leinad13 wrote:But at the time i was glad to buy it and support development, but im not so sure anymore, the community and foundation seems to have taken a direction i dont really like.
Why? Because the features you've requested are not being implemented? Tough luck.
I work on stuff that I like - because I work on it in my free time. I'm not forced to do anything I don't like. For that I have my 40-hour job.
You seem so interested in Blender 3.0, I can build a blender 3.0 for you if you want - including a special michel designed splash screen. It still would contain the same features as the current 2.32 version though. I don't spend my time on such senseless stuff though.
Open source development is work that is done by volunteers because they themselves want to work on something they like to see improved, not something others demand to see improved. If that would ever happen with blender development - which I'm sure it won't - I would quit immediately!

Note: I really listen to user requests - and if I'm capable and knowledgable about the area, I'm willing to work on it.

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

leinad13

Post by leinad13 »

I dont demand features, and i complelty understand that all development is done by volenteers but what do you think of the feature request page, dont you think its a bit pointless. Even though your the only one with something assigned to them. My interest in Blender3 is because of what a coder themselves said which is that certain features are very hard to implement in the current code and would be easier to implement in Blender3. I think that the sooner we move onto even just discussing Blender3 the better, because you and i both know that it will be the biggest hardest and best step of all.

Also alot of things about Blender seem to be discussed in IRC meetings, someone said somewhere that there are logs, but i cant find them. I really like to know whats going on but so much seems to be decided behind closed doors. Not to say the elast, the EU funding money. Does anyone know whats happening with that?
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

unixminion

Re: ignoramus popularus

Post by unixminion »

A load of flaming was once here... please ignore this post.
Last edited by unixminion on Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.