Blender 3!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

leinad13

Blender 3!

Post by leinad13 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:39 pm

So nothing much has been said about Blender3 for a while now, so i thought i would bring it back up.

Has the planning stage for Blender3 started at all yet, if not then i think maybe it should be thought about starting. I read somewhere that some features would be best implemented with a whole new code structure, so we should try and hurry onto Blender3.

Also when i last asked about Blender3, i was told that the current code was undergoing modularisation. (Spliting into different modules) So that it would make it easier to move selected parts of the current code into Blender3. What is the progress for this looking like. Recently i looked at teh code and it seems not much has changed.

I am begging that we start talking about Blender3. It is going to be so amazing. I think that it shouldnt be rushed and thats why we should start planning. Class Structures, Features, GUI. etc.....
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

sten

Post by sten » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:48 pm

if it would have been started, I guess there would be a newsrelease about it ;)

lol

Arathorn

Post by Arathorn » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:07 pm

We just had a massive gui upgrade and a new manual. Do we have to change a lot of things now already again?

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:18 pm

>so we should try and hurry onto Blender3.

Why even?

unixminion

Re: Blender 3!

Post by unixminion » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:05 pm

leinad13 wrote:So nothing much has been said about Blender3 for a while now, so i thought i would bring it back up.

Has the planning stage for Blender3 started at all yet, if not then i think maybe it should be thought about starting. I read somewhere that some features would be best implemented with a whole new code structure, so we should try and hurry onto Blender3.

Also when i last asked about Blender3, i was told that the current code was undergoing modularisation. (Spliting into different modules) So that it would make it easier to move selected parts of the current code into Blender3. What is the progress for this looking like. Recently i looked at teh code and it seems not much has changed.

I am begging that we start talking about Blender3. It is going to be so amazing. I think that it shouldnt be rushed and thats why we should start planning. Class Structures, Features, GUI. etc.....
Ok.. Blender3... hmm....

2.32 -> 3.0?

Sorry.. we dont version netscape style here... let's talk blender 2.4! even that is iffy...

2.3->3.0 implies a massive change... MASSIVE like remember blender 2.25->2.32? WELL.... that's only 0.07000 of a full version change....

3.0 will likely be so advanced that we cannot even comprehend it now... it'd be best to wait until say OpenGL2 becomes standard so we can talk class structure and hardware assisted raytracing dont you think? Or we can be sloppy about it and talk about it in terms of today's technology..

remember lad, patience is a virtue, don't forget that.

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:20 pm

I suppose ye that OpenGL2 is a must in Blender3, but why i brought it up was because i think that even now we can be talking features, and how to technically implement them. Features that would be hard to implement into Blender 2.4. But yes you have changed my mind and i do think we should focus on 2.4.

But i jsut keeping thinking of a totally C++ blender with some of the best programming structures etc....

Also OpenGL2 supports hardware raytracing, now that will speed things up if im not mistaken.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

mr_rob

Post by mr_rob » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:38 pm

leinad, are you a C/C++ programmer?
Later,
Josh
:twisted: :twisted:

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:58 pm

leinad13 wrote: Also OpenGL2 supports hardware raytracing, now that will speed things up if im not mistaken.
Dude, Im not sure you know what your talking about hardware raytracing?? yeah right.
Do you mean hardware refractions?
or programmable shaders??

If sombody has a clue, Id be interested :)

leinad13

Re: Blender 3!

Post by leinad13 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:30 pm

unixminion wrote:....it'd be best to wait until say OpenGL2 becomes standard so we can talk class structure and hardware assisted raytracing dont you think?....
Woa dont have a go at me i was just asking about what HE ment
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

blendix

Post by blendix » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:41 pm

ideasman wrote:
leinad13 wrote: Also OpenGL2 supports hardware raytracing, now that will speed things up if im not mistaken.
Dude, Im not sure you know what your talking about hardware raytracing?? yeah right.
Do you mean hardware refractions?
or programmable shaders??

If sombody has a clue, Id be interested :)
I'm no expert in this, but as far as I understand 'hardware raytracing' will not be an OpenGL 2 feature, but it will be possible. The GPU (graphics card CPU) can do vector math built-in, which makes it do it faster than the CPU. With OpenGL 2 you can pass some computations, needed for raytracing for example, to the GPU. This can certainly speed up the rendering process, as the GPU now isn't used when rendering. It has nothing to do with the OpenGL shaders, although they are pretty advanced, they're still not suited for rendering.

unixminion

Post by unixminion » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:45 am

leinad13 wrote:I suppose ye that OpenGL2 is a must in Blender3, but why i brought it up was because i think that even now we can be talking features, and how to technically implement them. Features that would be hard to implement into Blender 2.4. But yes you have changed my mind and i do think we should focus on 2.4.

But i jsut keeping thinking of a totally C++ blender with some of the best programming structures etc....

Also OpenGL2 supports hardware raytracing, now that will speed things up if im not mistaken.
I think you misread there partner.. I said hardware assisted raytracing..

GLslang is a shader language that is in OpenGL2, you can make shaders for OGL2 in GLSlang, a type of shader called a fragment shader is called for each pixel of a rendered object... therefore you can write a shader that performs raytracing on the GPU.

I recently learned Cg (the NVidia Shader Lang..) and I have the source to a few realtime fresnel shaders.

loos

Post by loos » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:15 pm

Actually you can do Ray Tracing on hardware. A guy I used to know from college has a couple of papers on ray-tracing and even photon-mapping using hardware. Check out the papers near the bottom of the page:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~tpurcell/

intrr

Post by intrr » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:35 pm

So much useless talk :) Why not JUST implement new features instead of worrying about version numbers :-)

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:46 pm

itrr: because the quality of a program is not equal to the sum of its features.

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:57 pm

Well I even don't think about Blender 3, because I really don't want to miss the awesome things that will be in blender 2.35 or 2.37 :shock: Well so stop thinking about blender 3.0 unless you're in the blender 3.0 project to think about what must be in it when it's done. The rest just think about blender 2.33 the ultimate blender version. :P