Fall From Good Manners

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

teachtech

Fall From Good Manners

Post by teachtech » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:02 pm

Not to sound like a prude or anything :wink: , but am I the only one to notice that the threads on the site are taking a downward swing. It seem like some people are trying to stir up trouble and see how far they can pull the community down and it seems to be working. Being a high school teacher I hear the gutter talk all the time in the halls, but until recently, it stayed off the site. I liked that professional attutude. So many people are contributing time to the success of the program. If I could code, I'd be doing the same thing. Since I can't, I'm trying to do my part by promoting it to my students, staff and at state conferences through presentations. I'm currently writing a student workbook for the classroom and will make it available to anyone who wants it when it's done. It's going to be 70-80 pages long when finished with lots of screen shots. This is my contribution to the community. I've become the Blender poster child in south-central Pennsylvania.

The best thing we can do for these individuals that want to tear apart the community is to not respond to their comments. If we continue to have these flame wars on the official Blender website, I'm not going to be able to link it to my site and the school district's site. Sooner or later, someone will complain and that will be the end of it.

So let's all be professional and keep this project as great as I know it is and as great as I know it can become! :D The word is speading.

(ok- let the flaming begin) :wink:

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:33 pm

Well, first of all, people are trying to ask questions about how ti use things and so on, well that doesn't make trouble, but a better idea is posting that on www.elysiun.com, or if it's blender developement related let them post in a topic that's made for it. Another things is, people are posting things that are complelty nonsens, like first there's someone posting a topic about blender 2.33, then another guy post a topic about blender 3, and a day later I see a topic about blender X or 4, well that's a good example of things that just shout out, "I'm crap". What we need on blender.org is people as moderators and keep the nonsens out of blender.org forums. So if this would be a nice idea, well count me in for a moderator, but first make a sort of list where people can see what they are allowed to do and what not. :)

Sometimes teachers things all students are bad, well guess who am I, a 19 year old student, but taking the Blender Foundation seriously. I want to help people, post comments to help, and give a feedback on further developement. And I'm even working on a website that will offer huge resources for Blender. Well that's all, but I agree with teachtech, there are people making jokes with us sometimes. :?

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:56 pm

Thanks for the support jd-multi. Yes, people are posting here when they should post to elysiun. I may be guilty of that at times too.

I hope my comments didn't come out that all students are bad. I have no idea on the age of the profanity splashes on here. I actually think the opposite of what you think of teachers- I think most students are good most of the time. I can't think of a reason why someone would want to teach if they think that, unless they like to go home in a bad mood every night. I've always said to people that as long as I get more students that want to be here and learn than students that don't want to be here, then my job is great. So far so good after 15 years. :D My comment about the gutter talk in the halls was intended to show that high school students know about bad language and use it (blame my generation and the media for making seem so great to do so) and they aren't getting any new vocabulary from here. It just doesn't need to be here.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:10 pm

The more popular a site/project gets the more attractive it's forums will be to trolls, I see this in the Firefox forums all the time...

dreamsgate

Post by dreamsgate » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:42 pm

teachtech: I agree a lot of trolls have appeared lately. If we all ignore them they will find somewhere else to play.

Now about that workbook, I would like to see that when you are done. :D

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:11 pm

Thanks dreamsgate I'm hoping to have the manual completed within the next few weeks. Times been tight lately and I only get to work on it for a while after my kids go to sleep at night and I pass out myself. I'm not trying to make a substitute to the manual, but something that can be used along with small demos in the classroom. At the end of each unit I have a small activity that needs to be completed and checked off. I fugure each unit can be covered in a 45 minute class period or less (maybe 2 units per period depending on the units). I have some freinds that have told me I should see about getting it published, but I'd rather give back to the community. Maybe our leader (Ton) may show some interest in it. :wink:

There seemed to be a need for something like this. There's lots of great tutorials out there that others have made and that helped me learn, but tough to use in the classroom. I tried to come up with a good sequence of topics (which I seem to add on to weekly) and it doesn't have everthing-just the basics to get a good feel of Blender. From there, we can point to the manual and other turorials.

When I finish it, I plan to convert it into a PDF file. If the size get down to a manageable download (I don't have much space and the file's 25M right now in PageMaker). I'll make a link to my website. Otherwise, I'll need another solution.

Carrot.nl

Post by Carrot.nl » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:58 pm

dreamsgate wrote:If we all ignore them they will find somewhere else to play.
I absolutaly agree
dreamsgate wrote:Now about that workbook, I would like to see that when you are done. :D
I absolutaly agree with that too. So I guess I have nothing new to say here. :P :D

All jokes aside. I must say I did see al lot of negative/agrasive responses lately. and I must agree it is better for the community to appear to be grown up. :wink:

Carrot.nl

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:40 pm

I dont know if any of this refers to me at all, i admit that recently i have caused some controversy on the forums, but i never use foul language. And i never direct insults to people. I myself i have seen this manifest itself in several bad language posts. Ands thats all. A bit of controversy here and there isnt anything to complain about. If people do complain about it but im sorry but they are intolerant and arrogant.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

Jellybean

Post by Jellybean » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:30 am

leinad13 wrote: I dont know if any of this refers to me at all, i admit that recently i have caused some controversy on the forums, but i never use foul language. And i never direct insults to people. I myself i have seen this manifest itself in several bad language posts. Ands thats all. A bit of controversy here and there isnt anything to complain about. If people do complain about it but im sorry but they are intolerant and arrogant.
Emphasis mine.

Unless you consider intolerance and arrogance as virtues, it would seem this post is insulting people who do not share your opinion.

The complaint made here, the controversy, if you will, is that this forum seems to be losing a professional attitude it has previously enjoyed, and the poster has reason want it to stay professional. Rather than become defensive and pass it off on others, why not accept this as something everyone should consider, and as an example of raising an issues without causing controversy.

engalicorn

Post by engalicorn » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:30 am

I have been saying this for a very long time. I first knowticed the unprofessionalism on the IRC channel #blenderchat. I asked people to keep the topics clean and decent and people seemed to respect that.

I try to remind people that though the Blender community is made up of mainly adults; kids and youths will be the blenderheads in 5 or 10 years. If we keep a friendly respectful atmosphere and make other people aware that their topics (if innappropriate) are not welcome then new blenderheads will keep it a respectful and friendly atmosphere.

Everone should use good judgement.

Cheero

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:36 pm

First of all we need another topic called questions or what else, because people are posting questions in news and chat topic, like Blender 3?, well that's no news, thats a question. Or something like, Blender bugs?, well no news, just a question again. So maybe each topic has to have some rulezz, what can and can't be posted. :?

Carrot.nl

Post by Carrot.nl » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:19 pm

Good idea :idea:

unixminion

Post by unixminion » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:30 am

<-- Guilty

I agree... that the forums are taking a downward turn.. and yes I am guilty of throwing random insults trying to defend blender...

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:55 pm

Well I saw the first topic closed by Ztonzy, well great, that means we have someone now tkaing some real action on nonsens topics, or topics that has been misposted. Well we need now a Sticky topic on top, with the rulezz, and updated, so make one before we get actions why topics are closed, and also say what to do if they can't post in here, like: If you want to ask questions about modeling, game engine and so on, and not about coding and such, use www.elysiun.com :D

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:25 pm

I'm grateful for all this interest in keeping things out of the gutter around here :wink: I know the community has always been a "cut above the rest". It's quite impressive to see so many people working globally to the success of Blender. So much has happened that probably wouldn't have happened if NaN was still running Blender.