cheating for speed!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Darqus

cheating for speed!

Post by Darqus » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:27 pm

this post is more or less a feature suggestion list for ways to improve speed by cheating in yafray.

(for animations) *store radiosity and GI data for static scenes. - walkthroughs and flyarounds will litterally fly - blender has this but it isn't nearly as beautiful.

* separate area lights from photon lights - more often than not you aren't going to need a total radiosity sollution for animations, it looks great and is wonderful to have as an option but the complexity of it all really slows things down.
http://www.coala.uniovi.es/~jandro/nona ... 000005.jpg was made entirely without GI and went blazingly fast at that!

* a photon requirements calculator - shouldn't be to hard to figure out. ie - how many verticies does the scene contain, how many bounces etc.

and lastly * a render preview - is always nice to have around to tweak things...

anyone else have any suggestions about cheating for speed?

just my £0.1

macouno

Post by macouno » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:46 pm

Nice ideas.... personally I'd like a button where you can select whether or not textures get rendered at all. Since I'm doing a lot of anim stuff, I also do a lot of preview animation renders for which I don't need a lot of quality or textures.