Blender's imports-exports

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

What programms do you want Blender to work with?

3d studio
16%
Maya
6%
Bryce
1%
Lightwave
9%
All
34%
Other
33%

Total votes: 97

darklynx

Blender's imports-exports

Post by darklynx » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:01 pm

No i'm not talking about commercial affairs :wink:
One of Blender's greatest disadvantages is to my opinion that you can't import or export to other 3d file types than .blend.
It would be great if the next version could import/export .3ds files.Although Blender is almost perfect :D it could kick asses working with other programmes.Also no entereprise would even try Blender knowing that it can't cooperate with other programms.

lisabeeren

Java3D

Post by lisabeeren » Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:02 am

I want it to write java .class file for use in Java3D.

I do have plans to write a plugin, once I find the python api

J.

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:45 pm

Hey, dude, you forgot Softimage XSI!!!!!!! :shock: :cry: Now *that's* what I call a 3D app....

Seriously, though, I think that i/o to other packages would just make Blender the king... No other big 3D app has even tried to do anything like that before (softimage are making moves to, admittedly, but that's only to Maya...).

André

Post by André » Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:24 pm

id like to export meshs to ut2003ed... is there a plugin? or a blend2ase (dont forget uv maps :D ) script?

ACK_DESIGN

Rhino3D

Post by ACK_DESIGN » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:07 pm

I'd like to see Blender import directly from Rhino. Now I have to export to VRML first. Rhino is a fantastic NURBS modeler.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:42 pm

Import of 2d vector formats would be great - especially DXF. This would mean you could use the power of for instance AutoCAD (I am not aware of any decent free alternatives - if anyoneknows of one please tell me) to generate accurate geometry that could then be extruded etc. I once got as far as a filter that translated circles into lines - but it needs to go further. I'm afraid I don't have access to a computer that I can install software on (i.e. that I own) at present (I don't even have access to Blender!!!) so I can't help just now - but maybe when the holiudays come...

neil

Post by neil » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:42 pm

Import of 2d vector formats would be great - especially DXF. This would mean you could use the power of for instance AutoCAD (I am not aware of any decent free alternatives - if anyoneknows of one please tell me) to generate accurate geometry that could then be extruded etc. I once got as far as a filter that translated circles into lines - but it needs to go further. I'm afraid I don't have access to a computer that I can install software on (i.e. that I own) at present (I don't even have access to Blender!!!) so I can't help just now - but maybe when the holidays come...

jean-michel

other: Povray

Post by jean-michel » Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:34 pm

If I had to choose one program I'd like to see Blender play nice with, it would have to be Povray.

An easy interface and/or method of exchanging data with povray would be fantastic. Povray is already an excellent ray tracer, so adding hooks to blender to allow it to trade data or interface with povray makes a lot more sense than adding ray tracing capabilities to blender itself (as some have advocated) IMHO.

sakke13

Rhino import

Post by sakke13 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:41 pm

ACK_DESIGN said exactly what I wanted to say. Rhino3d import would really be great. Really.

Take a look at http://www.opennurbs.org/ and http://www2.rhino3d.com/resources/displ ... isting=105

I think it wouldn't be too hard to get Rhino import to Blender. File format is open and developer kit is freely available.

This is very important to me since I do all my modeling in Rhino and getting my nurbs models to Blender would be nice.

Bluejay

Poser Integration

Post by Bluejay » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:11 pm

For us hobbyist it will be incredibly useful to have integration with Poser. At minimum it would be nice to have Poser compliant Wavefront (.OBJ) support so one could use Blender to make morph targets.

Simple OBJ support is usually not sufficient as Poser is VERY picky about what can happen with the models (extremely precise values for vertices and the like). You have to make sure the OBJ import and export process is sensitive to Poser’s quirks.

Further than that it would be nice to be able to import Poser files and animations. Poser is great for the initial character designs and short animations, but you have to export the results to a more capable package to produce anything non-trivial.

Oh heck, maybe I need to learn Python :)

Jamesk

Post by Jamesk » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:43 pm

Hmmm... with the current status of things I assume that the .blend file format is available and perhaps even documented somewhere? [note to myself: get someone to tell me where to find that] How about setting up some form of generic parser, maybe even as an external program that could simply convert .blends to any of the other formats... I mean, there are already quite some 3D converters out there capable of handling a whole lot of formats. The main reason for .blend not being supported by such apps is the fact that the format has been very very closed up until now.

And aside from that, a java .class-exporter would make me extremely happy! Otherwise it's probably a good idea to focus on 3ds and obj, making them as good as possible. Why? Simply because these are the most widely used formats. Almost all major 3D apps can handle them.

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:59 pm

Jamesk wrote:How about setting up some form of generic parser, maybe even as an external program that could simply convert .blends to any of the other formats...
Eeshlo made one already, even before the opening of the source. It's used in his LightFlow export script and can export just about anything.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

darklynx

Post by darklynx » Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:01 pm

Jamesk wrote:Hmmm... with the current status of things I assume that the .blend file format is available and perhaps even documented somewhere? [note to myself: get someone to tell me where to find that] How about setting up some form of generic parser, maybe even as an external program that could simply convert .blends to any of the other formats... I mean, there are already quite some 3D converters out there capable of handling a whole lot of formats. The main reason for .blend not being supported by such apps is the fact that the format has been very very closed up until now.

And aside from that, a java .class-exporter would make me extremely happy! Otherwise it's probably a good idea to focus on 3ds and obj, making them as good as possible. Why? Simply because these are the most widely used formats. Almost all major 3D apps can handle them.
No there are no clues for the blend format anywhere as far as i know.Now the project is open-source we should inform www.wotsit.org about the blend file format.This will help Blender expand its horizon :D

Jamesk

Post by Jamesk » Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:55 pm

theeth wrote:Eeshlo made one already, even before the opening of the source. It's used in his LightFlow export script and can export just about anything.
Now that you mention it, I recall some post from eeshlo concerning that. It unloaded all the Blender internals to a python-file or something like that?

ox

Post by ox » Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:03 pm

I would like to see blender handle terragen files also