Recommended ATI reg settings for Radeon 9800 users etc

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

A2597

Post by A2597 »

well, have you tried the 3.9 drivers? I don't get the slowdown with those.

I also lose about 10 FPS in games, but eh....
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

Ran13

Post by Ran13 »

Hey, that's GREAT news!

I would really like to use Blender for the Torque-based game I'm working on.

thoro

Post by thoro »

Yes, the 3.9 drivers seem to be ok, I use them at work. But I built this machine for Graphics AND Games and so I like it to be as fast as possible :D

A2597

Post by A2597 »

heh...the same problem I have...LOL.

ebrain

The same problem...

Post by ebrain »

Hi guys :)

I've the same problem of slowdown menus with a Radeon9800Pro 128MB under XP Pro. Hope that it will be ok in the 2.33 release... :?

Keep up the good work, and may the force be with U :wink:

IoN_PuLse

Re: The same problem...

Post by IoN_PuLse »

ebrain wrote:Hi guys :)

I've the same problem of slowdown menus with a Radeon9800Pro 128MB under XP Pro. Hope that it will be ok in the 2.33 release... :?

Keep up the good work, and may the force be with U :wink:
Or you could use Cat 3.9s.

ThePyro

Post by ThePyro »

For those that use ALL IN WONDER cards rather than vanilla Radeon, the 3.9 Catalyst drivers cause OpenGL applications to crash immediately on startup.

Luckily, there is a fix. I did the 2nd option (manually editing INF file with notepad) and Blender is running okay now.

_namke

... volunteer?

Post by _namke »

Hi,
I'll be happy to volunteer my services to try and squash this bug - It's been a few years since I programmed OpenGL, but I'm sure it'll come back. I suffer from the 'Radeon problems' (I have an old Radeon 7000) of slow menu-drawing (slow text) and gradual slowdown if using recent drivers.

At the moment I don't have a development setup at home, but it'll be easy enough to install cygwin won't it?

So, if there is a need for coding help, I'll be glad to help!

_namke

(WinXP pro, P4)

Ran13

Workaround for ATI GUI slowdown

Post by Ran13 »

Go the the ATI site driver downloads section and select the appropriate OS/graphic card. This will (most likely) link you to the d/l for the current Catalyst 4.4 drivers.

At the bottom of that page is a link to "Previous driver versions".

D/L the Catalyst 3.7 driver package. Run the EXE and it will extract the driver install package to:

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\

In this directory will be a directory named (for XP/Win2K users:
\wxp-w2k-7-93-030812a1-010735c-efg\

This is where the driver install package is located.
DO NOT RUN THE SETUP. You don't need to install the old driver.

Navigate down thru the dir structure to the following dir:
C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-7-93-030812a1-010735c-efg\2KXP_INF\B_10679

In this dir you'll find a file called:
atioglxx.dl_
This is a "packed" version of the ATI OGL driver.

If you have a recent version of WinZip, simply double-click the file and WinZip will open the packed file revealing the full OGL driver: "atioglxx.dll".

Just extract that file (atioglxx.dll) to your Blender install directory.
Usually C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\

Launch Blender....
no more slowdown. :D

noel

Post by noel »

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro on XP at work and we run Unigraphics (high end CAD) and we had a problem with slow display of toolpath strings. We solved it by changing the open gl compatibility settings: set to force 16-bit
( I think it was on force 24-bit by default )
I've installed and run the new blender and there doesn't seem to be any slowdown. CPU meter keeps going back to zero.
Maybe using 16-bit isn't something you'd want to do, I don't know.
Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

Noel.

bfvietnam

Re: Workaround for ATI GUI slowdown

Post by bfvietnam »

Ran13 wrote: Just extract that file (atioglxx.dll) to your Blender install directory.
Usually C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\

Launch Blender....
no more slowdown. :D
Yeah this is working for me, it seems.. And its a lot better than
reinstalling or switching drivers.. The link you gave to ATI's website
doesn't mention this, but it does show that there is a problem.

I found out that if I rename the file to "atiglxx.zip" Winzip will not recognize it, but if I locate winzip when it asks for the application to open the file with, winzip recognizes the extension and I guess determines the kind of compression from the extension.. You probably already have windows configured to do this from the last time you tried to open one of these files.. The rest of us have to specify to windows to open the file with winzip, then in the future when we find a dl_ file, it will automatically show up as a winzip file.. But again renaming the file doesn't work, I guess dropping the file on the menu bar of winzip would also work, but I haven't tried this..

Anyhow, placing the dll file in the blender directories, without renaming it to glxx.dll, still seems to work.. Why does it not require renaming the file?
Besides that why does blender know to load it?

Ran13

Post by Ran13 »

The *.dl_ extension is typical windows compression ....used to be, in the days before *.CAB files, ALL windows files were on the install disks as *.XX_ where "XX" was the first 2 letters of the file extension. In fact, Win2000 still has the de-compression app in the WinNT/system32 dir..it's called "wextract.exe" and is listed as the "Win32 Cabinet Self-extractor". Files are still stored inside the CAB files with the *.XX_ type extensions.

I may have associated the extension with WinZip earlier, but I doubt it...WinZip has native support for CAB files and I assumed that the *.XX_ type extension would be recognized by WinZip as a CAB compressed file. Which it apparently did. What version of WinZip are you using? I'm using ver.8.0.

As for why Blender uses the DLL in it's home dir automagickly...this is true for ALL apps....when you launch ANY app that looks for external support files, in searches in the following order:

First, it looks in the same dir as itself...then, if the req'd support file isn't located there, it looks for the PATH environment variable and searches all the directories listed there. All your apps that require things like DirectX drivers, OGL drivers, printer drivers, TWAIN drivers, etc, etc...go thru this process when launching. When you install Win2K or WinXP, the Windows dir and the /system32 dir are both added to the PATH environment variable by default...so ALL apps know to look there for drivers if they are not located in the home dir.

A2597

Post by A2597 »

THANK YOU RAN!!!
that fixed the problem! OK, we need to get JUST the dll out there...
I have it in a self extracting file, compressed to 1.48 megs, soo, we need a host now. :)

Ar2ro

Post by Ar2ro »

A2597 wrote:THANK YOU RAN!!!
I definitely agree!

THANK YOU RAN!! :D