Registry entries for 3D apps (Ati related)

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Merlot

Post by Merlot »

Just copy and paste it into the directory with blender.exe - it works perfect for me too - thank goodness because I panicked when I first got my new Radeon 9800 XT card and blender was hardly usable!!

There were lots of forum topics on elysiun that I found to learn how to do this - but I really think there should be some sort of official note about it somewhere, (over and above just this forum post), considering the popularity of the ati cards - and as outlined above, it's an easy fix to do.
I'm confused.

thoro

Post by thoro »

Ton suggested to put this to the FAQ and/or Downloads page, and the easiest way to do this would be a direct download link to ATI's website. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a direct link to the DLL.

All I found was a link to the complete Catalyst package, but you would have to unpack the DLL manually, and I think this could overstrain many users.

Maybe we should ask them to put this single file somewhere on their website and provide us with a direct link?

MrD

Post by MrD »

I'm still waiting for them to grant developer status, but that should be within the next day or two. If that happens I can compile a new set of drivers to distribute as far as I understand the agreement. Not sure about single files though.

They said however that the new drivers set will be released by next week. Here's hoping they will have this fixed by then (but not really expecting them to get it right).

thoro

Post by thoro »

MrD wrote:Here's hoping they will have this fixed by then (but not really expecting them to get it right).
LOL, the 'hotfix' extends my patience :wink:

I finally updated my PC at work to current Catalyst drivers this morning... yeah!

Ran13

workaround for ATI GUI slowdown

Post by Ran13 »

For those who need a step-by-step ;)

Go the the ATI site driver downloads section and select the appropriate OS/graphic card. This will (most likely) link you to the d/l for the current Catalyst 4.4 drivers.

At the bottom of that page is a link to "Previous driver versions".

D/L the Catalyst 3.7 driver package. Run the EXE and it will extract the driver install package to:

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\

In this directory will be a directory named (for XP/Win2K users:
\wxp-w2k-7-93-030812a1-010735c-efg\

This is where the driver install package is located.
DO NOT RUN THE SETUP. You don't need to install the old driver.

Navigate down thru the dir structure to the following dir:
C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-7-93-030812a1-010735c-efg\2KXP_INF\B_10679

In this dir you'll find a file called:
atioglxx.dl_
This is a "packed" version of the ATI OGL driver.

If you have a recent version of WinZip, simply double-click the file and WinZip will open the packed file revealing the full OGL driver: "atioglxx.dll".

Just extract that file (atioglxx.dll) to your Blender install directory.
Usually C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\

Launch Blender....
no more slowdown. :D

ruedebeuk

Post by ruedebeuk »

Has anyone tried this method on a notebook PC yet?

My Promedion D500P (mobility Radeon 9600, 128 Mb) came with drivers from the manufacturer (Clevo), so I'm not sure it's safe to use this fix on my PC.

Greetz,

Erwin

MrD

Post by MrD »

Shouldn't hurt anything and if there is a problem just delete the .dll file after. From what I understood though this problem does not occur with the drivers distributed for the Mobility cards.

soulstorm

Post by soulstorm »

I have the same problem with my ATI Rage 128 Pro. All text is very slow. Is there an older driver that works with blender?

The ierd thing is that everything works fine if I turn hw acceleration off - but who wants to do that?

Trying the oldest driver I can find tonight...

soulstorm

Post by soulstorm »

No dice....

Can't fid older drivers than I currently have (v5.13) I hope it gets fixed soon :cry:

hoxolotl

Post by hoxolotl »

"it works" is all I have to say...
Radeon 9600...
with the atioglxx from ati drivers 3.7 and catalyst installed drivers 4.4

I had a nice easy way to test before this fix ( I ran every setting possible, and moved my mouse in a circular motion over an active blender window while seing cpu load increase), until I did the fix I could see the cpu going up just by moving the mouse over the blender window...

:D I'm so happy.

_namke

Post by _namke »

soulstorm wrote:I have the same problem with my ATI Rage 128 Pro. All text is very slow. Is there an older driver that works with blender?

The ierd thing is that everything works fine if I turn hw acceleration off - but who wants to do that?

Trying the oldest driver I can find tonight...
The 'Slow Text' problem is not the same as the 'gradual slowdown' problem. Slow text is due to blender drawing in the front buffer (which ATI cards are not particularly speedy at). Unfortunately, it looks like there may have to be a serious re-write of underlying code before this is fixed (I've been trying a few things out, but they seem to cause more problems than they solve :( )

Ran13

Post by Ran13 »

Slow text is due to blender drawing in the front buffer (which ATI cards are not particularly speedy at).
Firstly...I'm not a progammer, so my understanding of such stuff is tenuous at best, but I did do some googling to try and determine what the problem may be.

I think it boils down to the fact that Blender uses a method of writing to the front buffer while double-buffering is enabled. This is fine, and OGL compliant, but is not really well supported in ANY consumer class video card. "Gamer" cards are optimized for the normal method of writing to the back buffer and then doing a buffer swap (when double-buffering is enabled.) I googled some docs from a presentation given by the Chief Application Engineer at NVidia which stated, in brief, that one should avoid writing directly to the front buffer like the plaque (on consumer class cards). So, apperently, it's something not well supporteed on ANY consumer class card, it's just that ATI seems to have a lot more difficulty with it.

You may want to investigate the use of a p-buffer to draw the GUI off-screen before rendering to the front buffer...that's what the papers from NVidia suggest for this type of thing.

soulstorm

Post by soulstorm »

it looks like there may have to be a serious re-write of underlying code before this is fixed
Yes maybe if they could do the menus like the dropdowns in Unreal Tournament. No slowdowns there...

Surely the text output code in blender is a very small part of the code. I hope it is easy to fix. In the mean time I'll just blender @ work.