personal key

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jm
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:31 am
Contact:

personal key

Post by jm » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:56 am

hi

I have a question.
I am slowly starting use blender like a commercial tool, exactly BlenderEngine in 2.25 right now. So my question is if will be here chance to have personal key to lock "my" blender file(exe).
If the key cost or will cost money I will pay it with plessure.
please, give me the light to this problem.
(sorry my En)

thx jm

jesterKing
Site Admin
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Finland

Post by jesterKing » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:01 pm

There is no signing with the new gameengine and runtime creation.

/jesterKing

(edit: upcoming version, of course, not current).

jm
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:31 am
Contact:

Post by jm » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:47 pm

I know.
That is why I post this Question. I hope that if will be here more people than I with the same request, maybe advance designers make some utility in new version with engine.
Maybe if it will be this possible, more people will do with Blender games or something like this in a future.
Otherwise is the engine in blender "only" toy.
(I think that this question is in the right time)

jm

lemmy
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:17 pm

Post by lemmy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:25 pm

Yeah, I want to be able to lock my files! I mean, ton himself said you can sell your works, but how can you hope to sell them, if other people can just look at the workings of it, and take it apart?

Blender seriously needs this feature.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Visit L3D for cool 3D stuff!
Home of Legacy of Taro, the 3d action/adventure samurai game.

dreamkatana
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:27 am

Post by dreamkatana » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:27 pm

I agree with u JM.

Blender.org should return with the personal keys, we could buy it in the E-shop for a simbolic price, like one dollar.

madcello
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:51 pm

Very true!

Post by madcello » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:26 pm

I totally agree with the need of a personal key!
And it could be released a small program to create DAT files (i think is simple), since .Blend files don't show the lock personal information!!

yamyam
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:39 am

Post by yamyam » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:28 pm

"Very difficult with OpenSource".

We reached the result above when we talked about this issue in BF forum of Elysiun. Because gameEngine has to decrypt locked file with no sign to execute it.
If gameEngine will only run with a sign like some archive softwares(e.g. unzip), It's not difficult to solve this issue.

alien-xmp
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by alien-xmp » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:36 am

It's not possible, since you have to distribute the decryption algorithm and decryption key in order to play the game.

Therefore, a hostile user can use the decryption algorithm and decryption key to get the blend back.

You're better off trusting the user, and using copyrights. Set up a text window with a license, so that when someone opens the .blend in Blender they see the license, which would explicity prohibit redistribution.

jm
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:31 am
Contact:

Post by jm » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:40 pm

alien-xmp wrote: You're better off trusting the user, and using copyrights. Set up a text window with a license, so that when someone opens the .blend in Blender they see the license, which would explicity prohibit redistribution.
And what can we do , when we will use this engine like a commercial tool?
You know commercial, not free. Why can I use other engine to build what I want if here is this user frendly engine. For some things is unnessesary use high end engine. So for what is this. For teeneger game, learning or what?(ofcourse this is also good reason)

tell this to modelers and people who use this tool to make some visualization or graphic design. "so, make some picture and give it free to consumers, why not?" and what about food, why can I do something else, if I am in this "good" and if here is request.

..you are right a can write some utility by my self, but i'm not so good. so I'm trying to speak to you,maybe you have same "problem" and we will help us to each other.


jm

Carnivore
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:27 pm

Post by Carnivore » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:57 pm

If you want to create commercial games and such, then there should be an .exe exporter somewhere... I've seen Blender-made .exe games. (everyone should know nurse.exe :wink: )

dreamkatana
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:27 am

Post by dreamkatana » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:34 pm

Carnivore wrote:If you want to create commercial games and such, then there should be an .exe exporter somewhere... I've seen Blender-made .exe games. (everyone should know nurse.exe :wink: )
Of course there is an .exe exporter, we are not blind. But the .exe file still can be opened in Blender.
Wake up boy.



Bye.

alien-xmp
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by alien-xmp » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:18 am

jm wrote:
alien-xmp wrote: You're better off trusting the user, and using copyrights. Set up a text window with a license, so that when someone opens the .blend in Blender they see the license, which would explicity prohibit redistribution.
And what can we do , when we will use this engine like a commercial tool?
You know commercial, not free. Why can I use other engine to build what I want if here is this user frendly engine. For some things is unnessesary use high end engine. So for what is this. For teeneger game, learning or what?(ofcourse this is also good reason)

tell this to modelers and people who use this tool to make some visualization or graphic design. "so, make some picture and give it free to consumers, why not?" and what about food, why can I do something else, if I am in this "good" and if here is request.

..you are right a can write some utility by my self, but i'm not so good. so I'm trying to speak to you,maybe you have same "problem" and we will help us to each other.


jm
I don't mean you have to distribute for free.

As the creator of your game/design, you own the copyright to that design, and can license it however you want. If you want to charge money for it that is your right.

I am saying that a technical solution is not the answer, because there is no way to trust the computer your game is being run on.

I don't know of any other engine (OK, I haven't looked that hard) that *do* offer this kind of protection. Copy protection schemes protect the .exe but don't protect the game data (models, textures and sounds etc.) (It might be in publishers interest not to do this to encourage mods)

If you are in graphic design or visualisation you have it a lot easier (comercially), because you are doing it for someone, ie to develop a product's ad campaign, or to try to sell your work freelance.

Either way, if someone is distributing (part of) your copyrighted work without a license, you can contact them and either 1. get them to stop or 2. work out a license where they continue to distribute, but pay you royalties on each copy. You do have legal protection!

BTW, I am not a laywer, this is just my understanding of it. There was a point in here somewhere, and I think it was this: a technical protection is too easy to be broken to rely on.

alien-xmp
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by alien-xmp » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:52 am

Or I could just remove Blender's ability to load runtimes. :?

pildanovak
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:32 am
Contact:

Post by pildanovak » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:15 pm

or maybe there are some utilities to recode .exe files on the net(?), so they are signed and cannot be decoded anymore. I've heard about such utils. that's usable for all kind of exe files, including blender. This wouldn't help the web plugin though

dreamkatana
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:27 am

Post by dreamkatana » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:26 pm

alien-xmp wrote:Or I could just remove Blender's ability to load runtimes. :?
Hey Alien, that would be a great and easy solution. Nice Idea and we will not need personals keys anymore.

Could u propose this idea in the Testing Builds forum?



Thanks.

Post Reply