Why does Blender have so bad Video Import support (linux)?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bog

Why does Blender have so bad Video Import support (linux)?

Post by bog »

Afther struggeling a great deal to import a movie into blender, the only thing I have managed is to import movies converted to mjpeg files.

It seems to me as if Blender is realy bad in video import. Why dosent it handle dv files, xvid, divx, rawrgb, rawyuv, and so on....
Is it realy so that it is not possible to make the program import more types of movie than raw and mjpeg.?

Alle the other LINUX programs (Video Conversion programs) that I can finde read all types of files. Mayby there is a good reason for blender not handeling this under linux, but I have not managed to see it.

If somone knows about a decoding program that makes raw files that Blender support it would be nice to know about....

Anyhow..
Thanks for a great program.

z3r0_d

Re: Why does Blender have so bad Video Import support (linux

Post by z3r0_d »

bog wrote:It seems to me as if Blender is realy bad in video import. Why dosent it handle dv files, xvid, divx, rawrgb, rawyuv, and so on....
Is it realy so that it is not possible to make the program import more types of movie than raw and mjpeg.?
nobody has done it yet

it would probably be best done by using another library (like from mplayer or something), which is pretty much what is done in windows (uses the windows codecs)
bog wrote:Alle the other LINUX programs (Video Conversion programs) that I can finde read all types of files. Mayby there is a good reason for blender not handeling this under linux, but I have not managed to see it.
because blender is not a video editing program there is no reason it should export to more formats than it does

any competent video program can load what blender puts out, there isn't a problem. if you want to input stuff into blender then use that competent program to convert.

bog wrote:If somone knows about a decoding program that makes raw files that Blender support it would be nice to know about....
oh

someone else will have to answer that

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

mplayer can decode any video into a raw avi format.

man mencoder

bog

Post by bog »

I tried using mencoder to convert to raw with little luck.. Blender wount accept.

Anybody know whats wrong with this:

mencoder Samuria\ klipp\ 1_skyting_01.avi -ovc rawrgb -nosound -o test.avi

Thanks