blender film

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mfoxdogg

blender film

Post by mfoxdogg » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:41 am

after reading the interview with the head of the blender foundation (cannot remember his name :oops: :oops: ) and him saying they really need to work on the animation side of things,
i think the most effective way to find out wat needs to be done is to make a full length/short film using blender (like COG ):D :D

I recommend splitting the professional users/regisered users who want to to work on it into the following categories

-animators (people who do the actual animation)
-simulators/tec directors (people who mak it look real 8) [script geniuses])
-modelers (speacks for itself)
-textures (make the materials and textures)
-storyboard artists/script writers (movie people)
-RENDERERS (above all people who will render the film quickly and easy)

i hope someone will take this idea into consideration

how it is advertised/controled and how to comunicate between the various people will be up to discusion

:o :o

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:55 am

This type of things has been tried many times on elysiun and as yet has nto worked. You say professional users, they dont have time to work on an amatuer project. And the amatuer users dont have the staying power. To make an animated film it takes so f**king long, and so much work. It will never be acheived, to a great standard.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

Statik

Post by Statik » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:20 pm

The only way something like this would work is if YOU run it. Create your script, create your life of models first, and post it. Work on it as you go. Let people know what you're working on and maybe you'll get submissions from someone on a piece or model. Once that is done, start your animations. Ask for help. If you get a section ready, post a render request. Maybe someone will render that piece for you.

What you end up with, rather than a community project, is your project with community involvement. Most people are too busy to volunteer full-time on a project like this, but if you are running it, they might chip in here and there.

Statik

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:23 pm

People are working on films (short ones ) in blender already, both individually and in groups, not to mention the ones that have been made ( @ndy's stuff, OOM, Cyan Sun, etc.)
for a collaborative one, check "the muffin project" in of topic chat on elysiun. There's also X-Warrior's exodus project (much more ambitious)
And yeah, there's nothing to stop you starting one and seeing if people want to collaborate.
good luck!
PS. agree that blender's animation tools are on the threshold of an update, and many thanks to all the coders who have been doing great stuff on all aspects of the program, including fixing bugs and improving the animation tools. Which are already quite useable.

cog

Post by cog » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:04 pm

A very challenging idea. Is it possible? Anything is possible with the will. The biggest challenge would be keeping the 'team' focused over a long period.

Would it help with the development of Blender? Well undoubtedly it would but to what extent I am unsure. One of the greatest things we achieve as 3D designers is finding innovative ways to achieve ideas. Sometimes that means 'cheating' i.e. not using the 3D package in the way it was designed or even using other tools to achieve effects. That's the approach I am using with Cog and I take my advice from a master 'Rustboy'. As a result I suspect many of the innovations will not easily translate into new or better features in Blender.

As to amateurs not having the staying power, only time, and good health, will tell. But let me tell you a story. Back in 1976 my good friend Roger Finch decided that he would like to make a swashbuckling Feature Film. Some 4 years later, and with the collaboration of over 150 amateurs, including a young Kenneth Branagh, the film 'Mask' was premiered to an audience of over 2000. The film was over 1 hour 15 minutes in length, feature length I believe. So staying power is a matter of will not professionalism.

Many of the Blender shorts I have seen have been no more than exercise examples and whilst these are good for the individual to learn they can become rather repetitive. That's why I have decided to create a feature.

Cog

mfoxdogg

Post by mfoxdogg » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:04 pm

thank you for your comments and i agree that many of the shorts are lacking in inovation :cry: (which was the basis of this idea :evil: ).

so i will start a similar project and asking people to evaluate it along the way

thanks again :wink:

falkonen

Post by falkonen » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:07 pm

I think a short movie project should not be started for the reason to make a tool better.
You need the idea first. If You have that, then You can check out what tool You want to use to bring your idea to life.
:P

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:27 pm

There are a lot of short films in development using Blender. And I can say from experience it takes a long while. I am working on one (FWD-REV.com) with a friend of mine and we've been working on it for a while. We are getting closer to being able to animated things. With each new release of blender certain things become easier and easier. Blender is becoming a very usefull tool both for use as a hobby and for professional use. As for a group based one... I can't even imagine trying to organize one over the internet without any type of face to face interaction. So much work goes into them.