Real Time HDRI

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Money_YaY!

Real Time HDRI

Post by Money_YaY! » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:50 am

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

That would be neat ! , Just neat, not usefull persaé just neat.

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:36 pm

Is this similar to OpenRT?

http://www.openrt.de/

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:24 am

ZanQdo wrote:Is this similar to OpenRT?

http://www.openrt.de/
Dude! those are sweet ! Wish Blender had them... Ugh, the ammount of coders is not enough ! There must be some sort of way to mash all of these programs together and make a super ap[pp :P

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:28 am

jesus kick ass!

Hugh

Current Status?

Post by Hugh » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:43 am

Having interactive global illumination, or at least the more mundane features of OpenRT available in Blender would really rock my boat...
With SIGGRAPH 2005, they'll release a freely usable Linux-version, that would be a good start.
Has anybody been checking this out or been in contact with those people?

See: http://www.openrt.de/getting_OpenRT.php

intrr

Post by intrr » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:10 pm

Money_YaY!: I do think that you could earn even more Money_YaY if you stopped trolling around with feature requests, and actually *used* the 4239843289432 features that are already there. Don't you think? ;)

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:23 pm

intrr wrote:Money_YaY!: I do think that you could earn even more Money_YaY if you stopped trolling around with feature requests, and actually *used* the 4239843289432 features that are already there. Don't you think? ;)
Now you got my nerves ?\:D

First it is old feature request,
Second I make money with blender :D
Third FASTER render times, Faster perview,, Hell! Just any real preview of lighting and textures on the screen without prerenders is stupid badly needed. Not going into it, ....

But to comment on the HDRi, it's simple to ask cause it's not impossible anymore. It has been seen in games for a year now. A game player plays a game and thinks Oh this would be awesome to crate somthing in, so they come to free blender to check it out and see nothing of the sorts.. Leave..
Go to pirate software that might have it.. Which on last count do have it to somepoint,, which is where blender could jump the curb for a few months..

:twisted:

simonharvey

Re: Current Status?

Post by simonharvey » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:27 pm

Hugh wrote:Having interactive global illumination, or at least the more mundane features of OpenRT available in Blender would really rock my boat...
With SIGGRAPH 2005, they'll release a freely usable Linux-version, that would be a good start.
Has anybody been checking this out or been in contact with those people?

See: http://www.openrt.de/getting_OpenRT.php
It is realtime because they run it on a 'computer' that only has 44 CPUs. Which is at a frame rate of 6 FPS for AA images (devide that by 44) or about 30 FPS for non AA images depending on the scene, etc...

jazzroy

Post by jazzroy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:13 pm

well realtime HDRI exists also for common PCs since 2003, just check

it runs smoothly on my laptop... :shock:

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:34 pm

jazzroy wrote:well realtime HDRI exists also for common PCs since 2003, just check

it runs smoothly on my laptop... :shock:
You are aware it is the very first link in the thread, right? ;)

/Nathan

snow

Post by snow » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:56 pm

Hi, ok, it sounds like there's a lot of confusion about this stuff.

HDRI stands for high dynamic range imaging. In itself the technology is simply about storing images as floating point values. This allows you to store values that are much brighter than what your screen can display. I.e. Your screen can't even come close to displaying the brightness of the sun because you'd be blinded if it could :P .

What you're talking about is the applications of HDRI: Image-based lighting, color bleeding (i.e bloom), automatic exposure adjustment and a bunch of others that I don't know.

Modern games commonly use the gpu to achieve (some of) these effect. I believe image-based lighting is only now starting to make an appearance, although bloom effects have been around for a bit. It is indeed possible to implement HDRI techniques in realtime on the gpu, but you need a pretty decent video card. So it may be possible to put it in the game engine for example, but I think it's maybe a little early. (Not everyone has GeForce 6 range cards yet).

OpenRT on the other hand is completely different. It is a real-time raytracing api (that also supports HDRI I believe). It runs on the cpu and optionally across a clusters of computers. While this could be used for previewing, I highly doubt that it will (at this point at least). For many applications you need 20+ computers to get real-time performance. Maybe when we have cpu's with 20 cores... But blender already has a previewing system (being implemented at the moment), so I don't really see the point.

Blender is currently getting support for HDRI in its internal renderer. (This is the OpenEXR thing that keeps being mentioned). I think some of the hdri effects may already be possible with sequence editor and composite nodes. In fact Blender already had fake color bleeding (bloom effect) in the sequence editor before OpenEXR was added and the renderer recode started.

At least that's what I know about. Yeah, ok - I officially talk too much. :?

Hugh

Thanks for clearing things up

Post by Hugh » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:13 pm

snow wrote:Hi, ok, it sounds like there's a lot of confusion about this stuff.
Yes indeed, I just ran across this and thought it was interesting, but did not have the time to look into it more closely - thanks for clearing things up and for the insights on exciting Blender-developments!

So is it possible to test the new renderer with preview in a recent CVS/SVN-build already?
Esp. for inexperienced Blender-users (like me - I have known and tried out Blender since 1.x, but never had much time to dive in, so I'm pretty new to actually using it for more complex scenes), it would certainly speed things up.
Great to hear that Blender is getting real HDRI-support btw!
(Not everyone has GeForce 6 range cards yet).
Still on good old Radeon7000 (VE) here...cough. For some reason, GeForce6-cards are really hard to get here in Austria.
I guess the GT is recommended over the normal version, even if the latter one has 256MB instead of 128MB..?

snow

Post by snow » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:33 pm

I'm pretty sure preview render is in cvs - I haven't really tested it properly yet, but I think it works just fine. Try one of the test builds - I think there's a few quite up-to-date ones in the testing builds forum. (Btw. I was on a TNT2 until a year and a bit ago - cough - hack - cough :P ) Umm.. Okay - there's a big chance that I'm wrong about this, but I think the GT is specifically intended for SLI (I.e. multiple video cards). I'm not sure which will outperform - My advice is go and check Tom's hardware guide (google it if you don't know).

Edit: (Shift-P to activate preview render btw.) :wink: