Custom shader support question(s)

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

CKbehemoth

Custom shader support question(s)

Post by CKbehemoth »

I've been playing around quite a bit with custom shader programs (via Cg and GLSL) and am intrigued by the possibilites. I realize the whole field is somewhat unsettled ATM ( ie varying levels of driver support, etc) but it raised a few questions in my (admittedly Blender newbie) mind.

Is there user interest in shader programming tools, a la the 3DS or Softimage style plugins?

Is there any work on blender in this area already underway?

Would there be a critical mass of developer interest?

How hard, technically, would it be to integrate something in this area into Blender?

I've been poking through the source lately, but I'm not up to speed yet. So, I thought I'd post a few open questions and see what thoughts other might have.

TIA, now back to my day job... :-/

Bill

elam

Post by elam »

I've been thinking about this for a while. I haven't used the 3d max or XSI plugins. Are they used to preview shaders that would be applied to a model?

I have been thinking alot about using GPU's for real time rendering. There is some interesting work in this area. But, like you, i've only poked around the source. Join the development mailing list if you haven't already. All the good programming talk is done there.

Cheers.

alien-xmp

Post by alien-xmp »

I'm still just playing around with shaders (ARB_vertex_program & ARB_fragment_program) at the moment in tuhopuu2. I'll probably go to GLSL when drivers become available. (ATI supports it, but nVidia only have developer beta releases for Windows available.)

Cg compiles to ARB_vertex_program & ARB_fragment_program, so you can use that.

Panther

Post by Panther »

(ATI supports it, but nVidia only have developer beta releases for Windows available.)
That's not entirely true... NVIDIA has supported the possibility of using GLSL since release 56.64 of its ForceWare driver.

I say 'Possibility' because you have to activate it via a registy entry within Windows ( don't know about the other OS's though ).

To be honest I'm not sure which entry needs changing, but one of the easiest ways is to use a program called OpenGL Extensions Viewer ( http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview ), which gives you the option to enable GLSL from its 'Registry' tab - Almost too easy !!! :wink:

It's a useful tool for those interested in finding-out what their GPU's can / can't do.

Hope this info's of use.

alien-xmp

Post by alien-xmp »

Well whaddya know! New nvidia drivers for linux were released yesterday with GLSL support, and there are windows drivers with a higher version than my beta developer drivers.

CKbehemoth

Nice!

Post by CKbehemoth »

Thanks for the heads up. I've been zig-zagging between GLSL and Cg. I want to get behind GLSL, if only since it feels like the Right Thing, but it also feels somehow more complicated... I'll have to see how good the GLSL support is.

The one down side I've found is that I can't find a way to get the assembly code back out; it goes from GLSL src to machine code inside the GL driver, and I can't even tell how may instructions are generated for a given shader.

Ah well - veering off topic - thanks for the notice - I'll be d/l-ing them asap.

B
alien-xmp wrote:Well whaddya know! New nvidia drivers for linux were released yesterday with GLSL support, and there are windows drivers with a higher version than my beta developer drivers.