which processor is best with Blender?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

blend3d

Post by blend3d » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:53 pm

Just a note to say I have an HP laptop with an Athlon M2000, 512 Ram and the ATI mobility 64 Meg shared video memory. I love the laptop but I have to turn down the Direct X acceleration to about 30% when using Blender then Turn it back up to run Visual C 6.0 with Forms in MFC and Media player 9.0, Would I do it again? Yes! it is an annoyance but my last laptop was a TI with a p133, Blender would not really even start up, I do wish the ATI drivers for this would change but so far no real change with each release of the drivers. On a side note I use a Nvidia MB from Gigabyte, an Athlon 2400 and an Nvidia FX5200 video card at home and it plays well with everything.

Antares

Re: which processor is best with Blender?

Post by Antares » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:37 pm

well guys..
talking about AMD vs Intel and not a single sod mentiones my intel compiler optimized version of blender?

obviously nobody is interested in getting their rendering times cut down by 40-60%.
finty wrote:which processors perform best with Blender?
would an AMD Athlon 64 be better than a Pentium 4 and how much better would it be than a Celeron. I'm going to buy a laptop and I want blender to run as well as possible at a budget. here's 2 alternatives. which is the best to go for;

AMD Athlon 64 3000 / 512 ram / 64Mb ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 Graphics

versus

Intel Celeron 2.8GHz / 512 ram / 128MbATi Radeon 345M Graphics Card
now some on-topic comment :
some days ago i did a test on a Athlon 64 with 2GhZ with my compilation of blender. render time was cut down by 30% for this scene:

http://www.silentthunder.de/pics/queen/origins.jpg

same scene rendered on a 3200 P4 cut down the rendertime by 40% with my compilation. and YES that's a valid comparison because the tests are based on 2 renderings for both machines and just calculate the speed increase for every machine, which both had 1GB RAM.

my vote goes for intel in any case. my next computer will defenitly include an intel CPU.

BTW:
celeron vs athlon 64 is one of the worst comparisons i've ever seen. better compare it to a "normal" intel CPU.

BTW2:
hyper threading wont help you, cause blender isnt supporting multithreading rendering like e.g. lightwave.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:36 am

Antares wrote:well guys..
some days ago i did a test on a Athlon 64 with 2GhZ with my compilation of blender. render time was cut down by 30% for this scene:
what was the amd64 30% faster then???

theeth

Post by theeth » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:57 am

ideasman wrote:
Antares wrote:well guys..
what was the amd64 30% faster then???
Faster than the render time of the non-optimized version.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:14 pm

If you're using a build compiled with the INTEL optimizing compiler than no kidding that the INTEL cpu is performing better. Ugh

theeth

Post by theeth » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:58 pm

IoN_PuLse wrote:If you're using a build compiled with the INTEL optimizing compiler than no kidding that the INTEL cpu is performing better. Ugh
It optimizes for SSE2 and other general optimization method. AMD released (or is it not out already?) their compiler too, but I haven't heard any good of it yet (doesn't mean it isn't mind you).

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon