Blender Bundle

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

V3nomX

Blender Bundle

Post by V3nomX » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:31 am

hi all,
I was wondering, wouldn't it be nice for newbs, lazy and/or just curious people to have a blender binary for downloading..containing most of the available scripts and plugins already set into the blender menus?

I understand that many people (as me) will never download such file, I just love my less than 3mb blender, but I think many people who try blender for the first time just get a fast overview that ends up with : "blender cannot do this, blender cannot do that.." . Maybe if they get a blender copy loaded with makehuman, L system, import/export scripts, fiber&co..things will change. It could be a good promotion for our favorite 3D app.

What do you tink?
Last edited by V3nomX on Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rico.

http://www.blender.clan.st
The French Blender Portal

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:58 am

why not. sombody needs to do it tho- I could only give a linux build,

macouno

Post by macouno » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:28 pm

Well yeah there's been talk about this before.

But I think you'd have to go all the way and make an installer that also installs the right version of python and yafray... and sets all the path's automaticly.

You'd really have to make it an all inclusive package for absolute dummys... otherwise there really is little point... so things like makehuman may also need to be programmed into the blender interface somehow.

Trouble is... the people that could do this... don't need it cause they're handy enough to put things together themselves. So how are you going to get someone to fix it up???

tbaldridge

Yessssss....

Post by tbaldridge » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:00 pm

This would be great. You don't know how many times I have tried to get python and such working on a Mac. I am having lots of problems, let alone show someone else how to do it.

Timothy

ox

Post by ox » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:22 pm

It's essential and should have been done long ago. With the current expansion of the blender user base perhaps there are those skilled persons on board to get the job done.

V3nomX

Post by V3nomX » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:22 pm

yep.... :oops: didn't thought about the python issue...yafray is not such a problem..but to tell a noob to install python...he will listen for 2mins and then give up..

tbaldridge: what os do you have? On panther python 2.3.3 is already installed...just need blender 2.33 to work with it...u don't even need to set the path (like for yafray). But I don't think the blenderbundle is the solution for your problem. If u want to work seriously with blender, get the base and add only what you need...u dont have to load all the glitter&gold that will eat ram cpu or whatever... As I said..it's more a way to show more capabilities of blender in one package, kind of promotional blender pack.
Rico.

wavk

Post by wavk » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:01 pm

I think the next release will be a nice present for you :)

Friday13

Post by Friday13 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:17 pm

wavk wrote:I think the next release will be a nice present for you :)
Indeed! But don't give away the surprise :P (then again, I already know)

V3nomX

Post by V3nomX » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:24 pm

I think the next release will be a nice present for you :)
- the new particles is enough as a present :)
-a good present would be import/export .map, .bsp, .md3 :lol: :wink:
-when is the 2.34 release?(give it away give it away give it away :twisted: )

8) hmmm...ok ...so no choice...I'll wait until next release to see what you are talkin about :)
Rico.