ATI slow down not completely solved?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Usagi

ATI slow down not completely solved?

Post by Usagi »

With the newer CVS versions that include the ATI fix I still experience a gradual slow down (Radeon 9700, Catalyst 4.6, WinXP). It is far better than before because usability is okay. But it is clearly noticable and a little bit annoying:

After about half an hour or so (I can't say exactly) the display is not as smooth as right after the start of Blender (less frames per second). When I quit and restart Blender it is smooth again (more frames per second). It is especially noticable when rotating the viewport with a fairly complex model.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Matthe

Post by Matthe »

I experienced another issue:

With my Radeon 9600Pro I've got a massive slowdown (not really workable) when I'm using a background image. I've tried different drivers: ATI, Omega from 3.9 to 4.6, but they all have the same problem.

Mats78

Post by Mats78 »

With my Radeon 9600Pro I've got a massive slowdown (not really workable) when I'm using a background image. I've tried different drivers: ATI, Omega from 3.9 to 4.6, but they all have the same problem.
Same thing on nVidia cards, at least my GF2 - and I've heard similar stories elsewhere too. Has something to do with nVidia 2D capabilities (not too great, as it turns out), maybe it's the same with ATI?

Cheers,
Mats

Usagi

Post by Usagi »

Matthe wrote:I experienced another issue:

Same here too.

alien-xmp

Post by alien-xmp »

I can't test at the moment, but I found one of the latest catalysts had quite a big 2d performance improvement.

It was wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-02-040515a-015958c.exe, but there is a newer version out now.

lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

i've got a weird slowdown problem especially with the 'Hard' slider in the Material Buttons. ATI radeon 9200, WinXp

Matthe

Post by Matthe »

Another problem just occurred: From one day to the other without any changes on system or Blender (it's really true), it's not possible to use the fullscreen anymore. The whole redraw process seemed to be corrupted. About a month ago the same happened and than all the sudden it dissapeared and now this strange behaviour is back. Any suggestions?

System:
AMD Athlon XP 1800
WinXP Pro with SP1
Radeon 9600 pro, Omegadrivers 2.5.51

Usagi

Post by Usagi »

alien-xmp wrote:I can't test at the moment, but I found one of the latest catalysts had quite a big 2d performance improvement.

It was wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-02-040515a-015958c.exe, but there is a newer version out now.
I used this one (it's Catalyst 4.6). Last weekend I upgraded to the current Catalyst 4.7 but the described issue still exists.

Matthe

Post by Matthe »

Matthe wrote:I experienced another issue:

Just noticed:
This problem is influenced by the scaling(and/or zoom level) of the bg-image. Bigger image/zoomlevel -> slower response

Matthe

Post by Matthe »

Finally I found a way to get rid of the described problems:)

Today I installed the latest Omegadrivers. With the "special/old"-opengl.dll for old games, Blender works much better. So I recommend the following procedure:

1. install the Omega drivers with "standart/new"opengl
2. copy the .dll from ...\Radeon Omega Drivers v2.5.58\2KXP_INF\OGL-Old in the Blender folder

Now I can use blender (latest CVS build) in fullscreen and the background-image is useable again :)

good luck,

matthe

EDIT: forgot the link:( http://www.omegadrivers.net/

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha »

Are there plans to slove this issue for good? With a different build of Blender I got it all working for now, but sooner or later this should be addressed directly.