Creased Subsurfs

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

p_vertex_

Creased Subsurfs

Post by p_vertex_ »

I downloaded and compiled the latest CVS so I could have a look, and I have a question or two. If I take a cube, make it subsurf, increase the resolution to 3 (so I have what looks like a sphere), and then crease one of the edges, the only crease I get is a portion of the midpoint of the creased edge. Is this correct? Why doesn't it crease the entire edge, from corner to corner? Is it even possible, or desirable? I've found that I can't use the edge creasing by itself to create hard edges- I still have to rely on inserting extra loops and adjust their distance from the creased edges to get the not only the desire degree of bevel, but the appropriate degree of influence as well. I was hoping that much of these extra "support" edge loops could be eliminated, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. I am sure the creases will be a useful feature, but I was wondering if there is a way to make is to that creasing an edge (as in my example), creases the entire edge, rather than just the middle portion of it.

johannes

Post by johannes »

If I take a cube, make it subsurf, increase the resolution to 3 (so I have what looks like a sphere), and then crease one of the edges, the only crease I get is a portion of the midpoint of the creased edge. Is this correct?
yes this is correct.
Why doesn't it crease the entire edge, from corner to corner?
for this you need point/vertice weighting. blender doen't support this yet.