Major Ton To Ground Control....

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Doogs

Major Ton To Ground Control....

Post by Doogs » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:34 pm

Ton,

Bro... You need to clue us simple-minded right-brained artist non-coders in to actual progress via blender... I know you pretty much laid out the foundation in which you would LIKE things to progress... but there ARE going to be linux/win "official" or "main coded" versions, right? I think im not only speaking for myself, but lots of us don't see any action. Can you somehow allow us to join a mailing list or something so we can atleast hear what smart coders are actually doing to a "main" compiled source? maybe? and maybe a time frame of when ODE will atleast be implemented? Please coders, don't leave this msg with a bunch of flames (you know who you are)... Instead maybe a productive means in which the generic USERS of blender might be able to understand the progress and what time frames we may look forward to. I know you have a news topic posted but can there be any specifics at this time? is there a coder board meeting in which you all will leave us artist types info maybe on features that might be implemented? anything?

wuv
Doogs!!! :oops:

FNG

Post by FNG » Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:52 am

I agree that it can seem that nothing is happening sometimes. However i also know that the people working behind the scenes are working very hard and doing a great job, as has Ton to bring us this far. Cheers.

I know i always enjoy coming to the site and reading some (any) new news - just gives me confidence things are still ticking along :) Mabey a simple statement each day or every other day just to update ppl and convince new ppl to the site that things are happening could be written. I realise that everyone is donating time for free, so please don't take this the wrong way, and i thank everyone for doing a great job. Just an idea........ :wink:

ox

Post by ox » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:24 am

:shock: I'm so hyped up about it I can't stand being in my skin :lol: And I don't have a clue what I'm getting into! I'm so hungry for info I went to Http://www.ingiebee.com and downloaded all the tutorials. I might of skipped one or two). I get a suspicion that this new found freedom for the blender is right on the cutting edge and about to explode into a fantastic tool for great and small to express art in a first class fashion. In much anticipation....

Dani

Post by Dani » Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:19 pm

I agree with you too.
But I think right know they are trying to clean up everything to make it easier for them to code great features for us :)

Yo!
DAni

Doogs

Post by Doogs » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:29 am

ok first off, none of your guys names even remotely is TON :) just kidding...

So anyways I realize theyre probably still in the cleaning up phase, but a few MANDATORY questions must be asked, such as:

WHO IS THEY?

and

what are they cleaning up? (at the moment)

sigh

Doogssssssssssssss

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:40 am

Have you paid any money towards Blender? I just had a thought that maybe if you haven't contributed to a FREE product yet, (meaning money), maybe you don't have the right to complain about lack of updates.

Sure it'd be nice to know what's going on, but there's something called asking respectfully, and also something called patience.

FNG

Post by FNG » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:19 pm

Hope that wasn't aimed at me. We know people are working hard and we know that we will have to wait we were just suggesting ideas that could keep people informed and hopefully keep any new members that come to have a look coming back rather than thinking things may not be moving along, which they are.

On the question of money in fact i have contributed...I had a C-key, both manuals, and contributed to getting it to open source. I know this doesn't give me a right to criticise the people putting time and effort into this, and i would never do that. But suggestions, good or bad, will allow this project to move forward. No one in this message group has been critical, only suggestive of what might make things better..........in the end we are all users of Blender, all appreciate it and all want to make things as good as they can be :D

Doogs

Post by Doogs » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:12 pm

number one, i did contribute to blender, i bought 2 of the books and a decent sum to the foundation....

number two i am not complaining, merely requesting information.

love always
doogs

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:46 pm

Hi,

Yeah, the speed of development seems to be quite slow... I've had really ugly backlogs of work in administration, taxes and financial planning. That eats up about all my energy. And I detest that kind of work! :-)

There's an article at the homepage to give some more info. To answer your main question: yes, we will make official Foundation releases. Tested, compatible, bugfixed, etcetera!

-Ton-

dreamerv3

Post by dreamerv3 » Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:37 am

No news? No way to get updated info?

Is there a crowd of windows users here asking for "official update news" pages?

Sure we'de all like that but the fact is you can get much information right now, why don't you

checkout the source from CVS and go through it, if you know C in the least (well a decent amount anyway) you'll be able to pick up what's happening, read the comments (I hope they've been translated to english... ;-)

If you cannot read sourcecode then use IRC (yes there is life beyond Instant Messenger)

Get the server address from this website and log onto: irc.openprojects.net

then join either #blendersauce --this is where the coders discuss work so it mich be best to limit your talks with them in order to not piss them off and allow them to work, they ARE donating thier time, you must remember that.

or join #blendershat which is the blender talk channel and discuss away with other users or coders who might be there, thats how you get cutting edge news.

Well what are you waiting for? A shiny M$ "official blah" page stamped with the imperial seal?

Sorry this is opensource, you gotta go get it...

Doogs

Post by Doogs » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:57 pm

OK sorry for being like this but how come every linux user is a jerk?
Sorry for not being as elite as all you coders but im not just speaking for myself here that it is good to hear from Ton and what is going on with the code. We raised 100k together, so if you have a problem with calmly asking for updated news, go code a program about it. thanks

doogs

Dani

Post by Dani » Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:01 pm

(i think talking about OSes is like talking about religion 8) )

Dani

theraz

think more about what you say

Post by theraz » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:52 pm

I'd like to address that "all Linux usera are jerks" comment.
We aren't. We are a group of peole who are used to software and the development of said software in a very different way than Windows users are. Therefore, when you come into a project that is being played by the rules we use constantly, and bitch and complain about how things are working, we get touchy. Have faith, there are scores of coders working on this, and Ton is busy with the foundation. Real work has to go into the actual infrastructure of this project, and results are not going to happen instantly. I am a four year user of Linux, with NO coding ability myself, but I have beta tested for tens of projects, and know how things happen. So, don't be a Windows bull in our Open Source china shop! Relax, when everything is ready, and the structure is set, Blender will kick into high gear, and you will be able to see how things are going!

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:03 pm

Dani wrote:(i think talking about OSes is like talking about religion 8) )

Dani
No, >all< religions sucks, all OS:s does not suck, rather most . :)

FNG

Post by FNG » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:12 pm

You've got to remeber that a large number of Blender users and potential Blender users are not programmers - it has been around for a long while without been opensourced. In order to keep potential users engaged in the project while it goes through its "start up" organisation etc i believe a page just letting people know that things are progressing would be useful. I know details can be found by trawling through the CVS, and i have done that. I dont think a page detailing all the changes would be required but news, like the one Ton posted recently, is great and keeps people coming back to the page, and ultimately Blender, in the future.

Cheers
FNG