Looking at buying a Dell M60 laptop...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sedgetone

Looking at buying a Dell M60 laptop...

Post by sedgetone » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:18 pm

... anybody out there using one? I'm going to go with the nVidia® Quadro™ FX Go1000 128MB option and dual boot it Fedora Core2 and WinXP Pro.

Sedgetone :?:

Ringo7

Re: Looking at buying a Dell M60 laptop...

Post by Ringo7 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:26 am

sedgetone wrote:... anybody out there using one? I'm going to go with the nVidia® Quadro™ FX Go1000 128MB option and dual boot it Fedora Core2 and WinXP Pro.

Sedgetone :?:
Sed, I'm using a Dell M50 notebook at the office to run all our Blender and video presenatations. It's been fine for couple of years but recently the video adapter died (Quadro also), been repaired and now I'm getting intermittent hardware errors on the hard drive controller. It's simply crapping out on us now.

We had a ton (no punn intended) of Dell notebooks at work but most had similar problems after a while and the support went down the tubes. Our I.T. dept. no longer buys Dell products and I won't be ordering another one either to replace the M50. My advice is to check the user ratings on one of the high-end HP notebooks.

Regards.

Ringo7
Last edited by Ringo7 on Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

sedgetone

Post by sedgetone » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:56 pm

:cry: Oh bugger... I've ordered and payed for it already. I've had a nightmare time trying to find a laptop that's got all the features I need for running Cubase and all my softsynths plus doing Blender: ie 3x USB2, 1x Firewire, 128M Nvidia card, WiFi and a big screen.

I tend to use WinXP for Cubase and music related stuff and Linux for Blending, DV editing and GIMPing about. Ho hum... guess I'll let you all know how I get on.

Sedgetone

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:58 pm

sedgetone wrote::cry: Oh bugger... I've ordered and payed for it already.
I'm sure you'll be fine with the new M60. We've pounded this M50 for a couple of years and it served us well.

Good luck to you.