Any word on ATI slow menu issue...will the fix be in 2.34?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

saetrum

Any word on ATI slow menu issue...will the fix be in 2.34?

Post by saetrum »

Hey everyone.

I have searched the forums for information about the ATI slow menu issue, and it is all a few weeks old (at the newest).

It appears that the latest test builds do not address this problem. The problem, on ATI cards (most noticeable on older models - particularly 7000 or VE), menus redraw extremely(!!!) slowly. I believe their was a news item about ATI sending some video cards to help identify and fix the problem, and a comment was made that it was planned to go into 2.34.

I realize that the gradual slow down of blender with Radeon cards is supposed to be addressed by 2.34, this is a separate issue (dealing with the way menus are drawn to the front buffer). I have turned off anti-aliasing, and do not use international fonts. Are there any other know solutions to this problem? Workarounds? Even a status report from someone looking at this would be encouraging.

Thanks!

bfvietnam

The quick fix is enough..

Post by bfvietnam »

Well there is a fix that someone mentioned back aways, that is to
obtain the atiglx.dll file from a previous install of the driver libraries, I think
if you do a search for it you will find the reference. That's what I'm using now for 2.33a and it works fine, but I guess it could be a problem if there
comes support of features in new versions of blender that are not in the
driver library. I know of the slowdown, and the delay problems you speak of,
the dll file copied to where blender.exe is, solves the problem for me, and I think for a lot of otehr people. Maybe this problem is something different. I'm using a 9600 SE.

Samjh

Post by Samjh »

I've been using Gabio's build (22 July), and it works perfectly with my ATI Radeon 9600XT.

Prior to that, I've been using the opengl dll file from Cat 3.8.

z3r0_d

Re: Any word on ATI slow menu issue...will the fix be in 2.3

Post by z3r0_d »

saetrum wrote:Hey everyone.

I have searched the forums for information about the ATI slow menu issue, and it is all a few weeks old (at the newest).

It appears that the latest test builds do not address this problem. The problem, on ATI cards (most noticeable on older models - particularly 7000 or VE), menus redraw extremely(!!!) slowly. I believe their was a news item about ATI sending some video cards to help identify and fix the problem, and a comment was made that it was planned to go into 2.34.

I realize that the gradual slow down of blender with Radeon cards is supposed to be addressed by 2.34, this is a separate issue (dealing with the way menus are drawn to the front buffer). I have turned off anti-aliasing, and do not use international fonts. Are there any other know solutions to this problem? Workarounds? Even a status report from someone looking at this would be encouraging.

Thanks!
the slow menu problem on all graphics cards is due to them having poor front-buffer [as in you can watch them draw, as opposed to the back buffer where they would show up all at once] drawing performance

often times changing the color depth to 16 bit helps significantly

I don't think the way the menus are drawn is going to be changed immedately

saetrum

Post by saetrum »

Thanks for the replies...I guess I wasn't very clear. The solutions you offered do indeed work for the blender slow down that occurs with ATI cards, but they don't work for the menu redraw problem which z3ro_d referred to.

Here is a link to the news article I'm referring to:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... le&sid=131
ATI sponsors 3d cards
Posted by: ton on May 06, 2004 - 03:35 PM

The reports on Blender's slow menu drawing with new ATI cards and drivers has resulted in a good contact with someone within ATI developer support. Since a driver upgrade or fix is not (soon, or at all) to expect, I asked them for some recent 3D cards to hand our to our developers. The more people in our team use ATI, the better we can track errors and/or find the required bypass.

To my suprprise they sent 5 cards! All good and recent models. After careful deliberations with the admins in the bf-blender project, we choose 5 developers who could use it best and/or provide us best results. Congrats Jiri, Jesterking, Kester, Desoto, Zr!

On this ATI error... the real reason is that front buffer drawing gets less and less well supported with recent 3D cards. Blender relies on that for the menu and button system to update.
We are currently revising an alternative drawing method to once and for all solve these errors, and for all platforms with equal good quality. Hope it's ready for the 2.34 release.
* emphasis added

So it looks like this issue isn't being addressed yet? It's too bad, I love blender, but the menu issue is a real problem for me. Don't know if I could stand to go back several versions just to get it working again. :(