Splash screen gallery

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

xand

Splash screen gallery

Post by xand »

A splash screen gallery in blender3d.com will a good things.
i'm not the only who loves to remind the previous stage of blender (especially the hidden 2.13).

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

I like the idea. Thou it'd also be cool to have a gallery for all submitted splash screens. Except that there'd be a insane amount of images after a while.

ebrain

Post by ebrain »

Yeah good idea ! It would be great to remember old splashscreens :D

Bye,
---
ebrain
www.blender.clan.st

bmud

Post by bmud »

That sounds neato.. Absolutely neato.

sten

Post by sten »

bmud wrote:That sounds neato.. Absolutely neato.
hi bmud,
will you please take a look at this:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... 6155#26155

joeri

Like it

Post by joeri »

I love this idea!

bfvietnam

Would be neat

Post by bfvietnam »

Would be neat though if there was a feature in blender where you could have
blender download a new image everytime you ran it.. As a form of inspiration.. I have a cable modem, so I don't take much of a hit
when I get on the net.. 360KB per second, nothing is impossible..
But then again I used to have a modem, man 20 seconds to download someone image is not very inspiring..

The inspiration could run a number of ways:

1. wow my image just showed up on blender in the splash screen.
2. yuck, I can do better than that.
3. wow that's an awesome image, who's image is that..

In any case, it motivates the users to do their best work.

There might even be a link in blender that takes people to the site of the person who made the image in the splash screen, as well as a log of
all the images seen in the past, with a possibility of a link to the gallery
for people who just want to look at images..

To allow blender to retain its identity, the version identity could either be included with the image by the artist or the identity could be layered over it, using a URL to an image on the blender website that changes every minute or so.. So people get a minute of fame..

The feature could be toggled on/off by the user.. Showing the default splash screen..

theeth

Post by theeth »

Right now, the splash is compiled in the binary so it would be hard(er) to chnage it. If it used external file though, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

bfvietnam

Post by bfvietnam »

theeth wrote:Right now, the splash is compiled in the binary so it would be hard(er) to chnage it. If it used external file though, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Martin
I kinda figured that, but blender loads images for textures, geuss that could be reused.. Probably would reduce the executable size too.. By a little bit.. Ha! :)

I got an idea, couldn't you have the render window popup and show that image and make it disappear when the user clicks. Its a bit hard to get that splash screen to appear longer than a second.. Maybe it could be hidden
by clicking a button.. Hmm..

You could probably make it so that blender can use image textures from other website.. It would be a neat feature, for people who want to try out textures on objects but don't want to download.. That's probably asking for too much because then you would have to implement something to connect with HTTP.

theeth

Post by theeth »

You can always show the splsh screen by clicking on the blender icon in the header.
bfvietnam wrote:You could probably make it so that blender can use image textures from other website.. It would be a neat feature, for people who want to try out textures on objects but don't want to download.. That's probably asking for too much because then you would have to implement something to connect with HTTP.
uh uh, and everytime we need to sample a pixel on the texture we do an http request? (note: I'm being sarcastic)
You'll need the whole file in memory anyway, so why no just save it to disk.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any use for such a feature at all.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

joeri

Post by joeri »

I can see 3 reasons for remote textures:

1- copyright.
Sortof bullshit reason I guess, hee: "you can render it, but the texture is not yours".

2- game engine.
Download of textures "on demand".

3- online distributed renderer
Download textures needed for this frame.
Fast scene download, start background renderer, that will retreve textures it needs for this frame.

bfvietnam

Is everyone so jaded..

Post by bfvietnam »

I think it would be most inspirational to be able to see someone's
image as the splash.. Maybe the way I said it didn't appeal
to some.. I guess if you feel your work is not presentable,
it would probably embarass you if eveyone saw it for a split second.

As for borrowing textures.. My cable connection is faster than obtaining a CD.
The hardest part is getting something that looks good and a good bit of the textures that exist are in jpeg format.. Some could even produce textures with blender for blender, I still am wondering where there is not an option to use another scene as a source for a texture.. Same as for using sources from the Internet.. Can you imagine how much of a reduction that could make on a blend file.. Especially if you are working with people who use modems, their blender could download a low quality image for textures, whereas those with cable modems could get higher quality textures.. While still distributing a small blend file.

It would be good for video games too.. No need to bundle high resolution images with the game.. Gives the game developer more options on how to present the material, depending on their target audience.

I'm personally not so serious about this idea.. Except for the one of using another blender scene as a source for texture imagery.. I've had that one for a while.. I'm not talking about a remote scene on another site, I mean in the same blend file.. Like what you can do with sequence editor.

PS- I am a subscriber of Rhapsody (on demand music).. I probably will purchase into napster, but its quite addictive, I'm listening to David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World". Talk about Irony..