I don't get it...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BSfire

I don't get it...

Post by BSfire »

I used to think that Blender was just for creating images. Then the nice people at Blender foundation let everyone use Blender Publisher- so I started making games. Sort of. At the very least I made it interactive. Now everyone talkes about scripting and compiling and all sorts of initialed words :?: :!: :?: :!: . Could someone PLEASE explain? It would make my day...

Thank you... :cry:

Eric

Post by Eric »

Do you know how a computer program is built?

That's what we're (supposed to?) talk about in this forum, about how we can improve blender's functionality.

_florian_

Post by _florian_ »

hi

welcome to blender.org. this is a site for blender development.
if you search blender user / artist forums then www.elysiun.com is for you.
there is also a python forum. but mostly it's about using blender.

florian
GIT d+ s:- a- C++ UL+++ P--- L+ E--- W+ N+ o-- K- w++ O-- M V--
PS+ PE Y+ PGP++ t+++ 5 X+++ R- tv++ b++ DI- D- G e+ h-- r- y++

Jamesk

Post by Jamesk »

Heh heh... I can see how confusing all this would seem from the outside. I used to think Blender was more or less incomprehensible even three years ago when everything was normal. I've tried to put myself in the state of mind I would be if I had heard about Blender for the first time like two months ago or something... and I can't stop laughing :lol: . It must be mega-confusing!

But as florian says: Elysiun is the place to go if you're strictly 'user' about all this Blendering stuff.

Trob

Post by Trob »

Nice to see other swedes here =) Changed from 3DSMAX -> Blender cause the better UI and Python. :wink:

BSfire

Post by BSfire »

Any ideas on how to be not so strictly user? I program in delphi, I'm not quite so stupid as I know I sound... :?

MrMunkily

Post by MrMunkily »

Well, blender's programme din C and C++ - If you get into those then you can help in that way. Otherwise, just use one of the open betas - You'll be helping in a big way to squish bugs.

Umm, when do we get a bugtracking system?? I think it ought to be a priority.

_florian_

Post by _florian_ »

MrMunkily wrote:...Umm, when do we get a bugtracking system??...
its working now. check your local nav bar. :P :P :P
bugs are not cool. but the bugtracker is!
florian
GIT d+ s:- a- C++ UL+++ P--- L+ E--- W+ N+ o-- K- w++ O-- M V--
PS+ PE Y+ PGP++ t+++ 5 X+++ R- tv++ b++ DI- D- G e+ h-- r- y++

BSfire

Post by BSfire »

Ok. I get the C and C++, But, Open Beta? And also, any suggestion on sites for learning the language, so I can see what it's like? :roll:

beatabix

Post by beatabix »

http://www.cplusplus.com

that should set you on your way. after that you'll be needing a little info on openGL:

http://www.opengl.org

then, well, you can figure the rest out for yourself. (nb-> i'm still a long way from figuring out any of this)

BEAT

BSfire

Post by BSfire »

Cool. Thanks Beatabix, but any ideas on a good, posibly free, compiler program?

This has really helped :D

lokmer

Post by lokmer »

You should pick up the GNU Cross Compiler (GCC) available at gnu.org. If you're running linux, it's included in all distributions by default.
-Lokmer

BSfire

Post by BSfire »

Does anyone know a good editor program? :)

BSfire

Major Help Needed!!

Post by BSfire »

Ok. I have a compiler, an editor program, piles of tutorials and the blender source. One question for the experts- WHERE DO I START! :shock: The blender source is so long and seperated.... Which file is the main, and how does it all link up...

the_razor

Re: Major Help Needed!!

Post by the_razor »

Well first of all you should try to get the sources to compile, which you probably wont't succeed in without major hacking of the current Makefiles... which is why ppl are trying to make a make system based on autoconf/automake which makes compiling easier on *nix based (and possibly on a cygwin) systems.

So if you are a *nix user I'd suggest you'd help on that first. e.g. get the newest CVS(from the foundation project) source and make/tweak the current Makefile.am:s(and configure.ac) so that it will eventually compile with the simple ./configure;make command.

Ofcourse you should get developer access to the CVS if you want to commit files (where I'm currently at... as I've been a bit lazy to ask for it myself), or you could just try to email somebody who has access already(and hope that he/she reads the mail and commits it).

-the razor-