how do i get crash reports

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

alltaken

how do i get crash reports

Post by alltaken »

i have been having VERY RANDOM crashes (and i mean so random i can't see a pattern)

i am wanting to capture these multiple crashes per day, and send the reports to someone who can understand them.

i am on WinXP home SP1 running blender 2.34

just curious how to go about this.

also jsut as an idea, would it be a good idea to have a crash report capturing feature built right into blender, a quality feedback agent type deal?

they seem standard nowdays in software.

Alltaken

sten

Post by sten »

in system enviroments, add where your blender.exe are located...

open a DOS console (terminal) run from there:

blender -w -d

-w for windowborders...

-d for debug info...and when blender crashes, the terminal/console will still be running with info in it...about the crash...

I hope this made some sense :P
....and that it works...

/.Z

ox

Post by ox »

Hey Z, It made a lot of sense. I have now added -d to my launcher and found it vey interesting. I posted concerning a couple of crashes I had with FC2 but embarrissing as it was, I could post the print out :oops: Thanks man. You have lifted me a little higher.

sten

Post by sten »

hi ox :)

I run FC2 myself...no big problems here though...

great that you found the -d option worthfull :)

if you type 'blender -h' you get all options :)

ox

Post by ox »

OK, help me out here. I just had another hard freeze. Everything locked up tight and I was unable to access the term, reboot the x server, nada, zero. I tried searching the var log files after a reboot for the record and couldn't fing it. Is there somehwere to look for the print out of a crash once there is a hard lockup? (geeze - sorry for the linux 101 lesson /.Z :oops: )

sten

Post by sten »

hi ox...

what hardware specs. does your system have?

what gfx card? ever tried to use the static linux version of Blender, it has built in OpenGL, but not as good as native (dynamic version) drivers...but it works :D

just to sort out the errors, I am myself quite new to linux, but my FC2 system seems to work pretty well, and if you got a problem, you can always come to #blenderchat or #blendercoders to ask for help, server: irc.freenode.net

/.Z

ox

Post by ox »

I only use the static version since my system is basically a dinosaur (like me :shock: ) I'll try the IRC channels and see. I have a savage 4 graphics card.

alltaken

Post by alltaken »

ztonzy made perfect sense

now can i make this into a batch file or a shortcut or somthign for the desktop, to avoid the long and arduous process of typing a few little letters every time i want to use blender :P :P :P

(by this i mean can someone post the required code to make a batch file containg Blender -w -d, i can set my variable i think, maybe i'll get mum to do it)

he he he

:D :D :D

Alltaken

alltaken

Post by alltaken »

i've done this as you said (-w -d)

however in windows i seem to get no error printouts in the dos window. however Windows XP seems to take over the error printout with the "crash report" that microsoft wants to be sent.

i am wondering if the microsoft error message is taking over the Blender one, or conflicting with it in some way (like supressing it or somthing)

it just seems a bit strange.

either that or windows is supressing software errors before the software has ever noticed a problem.

Alltaken

ox

Post by ox »

I don't think it is windows specific. When I choose -w -d and run from a terminal in FC 2/blender 2.35b the terminal window crashes without a print out? I've been slow to download the latest release but will try it today.