macintosh render size limits???

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

alltaken

macintosh render size limits???

Post by alltaken »

do macintosh computers have a lower render size limit enforced?

if i try to render a A3 300DPI image on our dual 1.8 Ghz G5's with 2 Gb ram. or our dual 1.25Ghz Dual G4's with 2 Gb ram at university. (running OSX 10.2 i believe) then the computers crash.

whereas if i make a render of 50% that size (1/4 the work) blender renders it all fine.

i am curious if the limit of rendersize is somewhere less than 4680 x3506 (or whatever A3 300DPI is)

everything at home seems to render fine on my PC at those sizes.

just really curious on this.

Alltaken

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton »

There's certainly no enforced limit, but there's pointer magic (read abuse) in Blender that might be the problem for it.
Deep inside of the render code still some opimizing happens assuming the available amount of memory would never be more than 1 giga :)

The mac I use now has a humble 384 meg tho... can't help testing. I propose to post this on the tracker though, as a reminder (to self) to have it solved.

BTW at siggraph I got some hints what to do for the move to 64 bits for the next osx release. We then can safely address all of the available memory (max 8 Gig I recall).

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Over the last few weeks, I've rendered out over 20 different A3 posters (some at 300dpi, some at 600dpi), with hundreds of thousands of particles (but no raytracing), and they've been just fine on this comparitively lowly Powerbook 1.25Ghz G4 / 1GB RAM with OS X 10.3.5. I have been rendering in 3x3 parts though, so perhaps you should give that a try if not already.