Blender 3D Ported to Sky Operating System

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Hexydes

Blender 3D Ported to Sky Operating System

Post by Hexydes » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:09 am

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that the Sky Operating System (http://www.skyos.org) has ported and now fully supports Blender 3D, so if you could add us to your list of supported operating systems, that would be great.

Thanks!

Kelly Rush
hexydes@yahoo.com

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:37 pm

Very cool to see! Congrats on the port! May have to give skyos a try.

chimera

Post by chimera » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:47 pm

yes me 2 :) gotta love unix-like oses :)

dandeloreon1984

Post by dandeloreon1984 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:04 pm

nice to see that, i should probobly give that a look... how about releasing an installer for free on the site, because alll i see is live cd roms, and all of those are unavailable, anyways, whatever happened to atheos?? because it seems to have died... http://www.atheos.cx/

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:09 pm

I had several times contact on the irc developers channel with someone using the nick RobertS who worked on this.
Last thing I heard (2 days ago) was that there were still bugs to work on. But the port went surprisingly smooth. :)

For a new port to be included in the 'official supported' list we just need active support from someone (a team preferable) to check on commits regularly and help testing and building releases.

Further, I guess, the distribution of this version is best off now via SkyOS channels.

kencanvey

Post by kencanvey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:24 am

Just been to the site, I feel theres something not quite right here, or is it just me?

When I tried to get to any of the links for downloads, even after registering, I get url not found errors and/or redirected to some site seeling tablets and crap.

Whats going on is this a hijacked site or just genuine errors?

Ken

Hexydes

Post by Hexydes » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:15 am

You can't download SkyOS yet. You can only get it if you register as a beta tester. You can do this via the website.

kencanvey

Post by kencanvey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:24 pm

Yea thats what I got from the website eventually.

So I have to pay $30 for a beta free OS, or I can wait and get it for nothing when it is released.?

How confusing, I may not bother.

Ken

Hexydes

Post by Hexydes » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:11 pm

You have two options if you want to use it.

1) Become a beta tester. You will have download access to every single beta that gets released, as well as a hard copy of the final when it is released.

2) You can wait until the final is released. We will be offering a free test version, which will most likely be in the form of a LiveCD (no install to computer option). You can use this to decide if you'd like to buy SkyOS. SkyOS Final will not be out for quite a while though, so if you want to get your hands on it anytime soon, you will have to become a beta tester.

dmoc

Post by dmoc » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:53 pm

Got hw 3d support yet?

kencanvey

Post by kencanvey » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:31 am

Hexydes
From the web site, under about:

"SkyOS is a free operating system written from scratch for x86 PC's."

This is somewhat misleading then is it not, or is this one of those free as in free as a bird? or does it just need updating.

Is SkyOS Free of charge, free of limitations, opensource what?

Ken

dcuny

Post by dcuny » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:12 pm

I'll agree with this increasingly off-topic thread. At first glance, it seems that Sky OS is supposed to be free. Further digging through the confusing site gives the impression that somewhere the project flipped over into becoming commercial, but never bothered to update links.

It's too bad, it looks to be an interesting project.

bfvietnam

SkyOS is not free..

Post by bfvietnam » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:18 am

Why don't you just fess up to it..
You are using the blender comunity to advertise
SkyOS? A commercial Operating System, that looks like
Linux.. It probably has better performance than Linux,
but whatever happened to BeOS, it was supposed to be
like the poor mans SGI.

BTW, if someone signs up as a beta tester do they have to sign an NDA
that would say they should never in the future implement anything like
it or be sued.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated that its not free like Linux.. But then again,
why would I have a reason to install anything else but Windows XP, unless the OS was free or performed better..

kAinStein

Re: SkyOS is not free..

Post by kAinStein » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:23 pm

bfvietnam wrote:Why don't you just fess up to it..
You are using the blender comunity to advertise
SkyOS? A commercial Operating System, that looks like
Linux.. It probably has better performance than Linux,
but whatever happened to BeOS, it was supposed to be
like the poor mans SGI.
Errr... What does Linux look like? ;)

But on the rest: ACK. I'm also asking myself what is behind of SkyOS. Is it commercial, is it a free project? There are no answers on the website. But they are asking for coders. I'm surely not against that Blender is ported to commercial operating systems (what else are Windows or MacOS for example?) but it seems that there is a system behind the fact that SkyOS is partially hidden in some haze - and I don't like it much...

Btw.: The BeOS development has been continued by a company called Yellowtab and they are selling it under the new name "Zeta". But opposing to what Yellowtab is promising it still seems to be an alpha or beta version with bad hardware support and things like that... Kinda sad that it hasn't improved in the last years... I remember seeing BeOS the first time on a BeBox in '96 or '97 and I was totally amazed...

Hexydes

Post by Hexydes » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:35 am

Hi,

I am not a regular at these forums, so I am sorry for not responding quicker, I simply don't watch these forums.

We are not trying to hide anything at all. Someone hit it right on the head. SkyOS, when it was just a small hobby was free. However, it has grown into a complete operating system now, and we have decided to change it to a commercial project.

I am not using the Blender community to advertise SkyOS. That would be a waste of my time, how much traffic to SkyOS do you think we would receive from a forum post on the Blender community forums? The answer: not much. I was trying to find a way to let the Blender developers know that we ported their excellent software, and to post news about it, or add SkyOS to the list of supported systems, or whatever they would be interested in doing.

So to summarize, SkyOS is a commercial operating system now. We are in the process of updating the site to reflect this new status. Sorry for the confusion.

I most likely will not happen upon this thread again any time soon, so if you have further questions, feel free to visit our forums and ask them.

http://www.skyos.org