Blender 3D Ported to Sky Operating System

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

VSTM

Post by VSTM » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:55 pm

dandeloreon1984 wrote:nice to see that, i should probobly give that a look... how about releasing an installer for free on the site, because alll i see is live cd roms, and all of those are unavailable, anyways, whatever happened to atheos?? because it seems to have died... http://www.atheos.cx/
Yes, atheos is dead. I think the developer basically stopped caring, though I'm not totally sure, because I don't know him. A friend of mine claims he does, but I haven't talked to him about it.

My point: Some developers thought the death of atheos, by way of the creator's apathy, was a shame so they got the rights to develop the source code and called it "Syllable". Syllable can be found at http://www.syllable.org/.

Actually, the "about" documentation from the syllable sight says it better:
Syllable History

The Syllable project dates back to July 2002, but the story begins well before that.

The history of Syllable really begins with an operating system named BeOS, which was developed throughout the 1990's by a small company named Be made up primarily of former Apple employees who were dissatisfied with the direction of Apple. They developed BeOS as a modern, powerful speed demon of an operating system that was particularly suited for heavy multimedia applications (you should have seen a BeOS machine running thirty simultaneous videos, smooth as butter).

Though Be was eventually bought out by Palm and BeOS was liquidated, it inspired a young programmer named Kurt Skauen in his efforts to create a hobby operating system. In the late 90's and early 00's, he created AtheOS, borrowing heavily from BeOS' file system and programming API.

After a few years, Kurt abandoned AtheOS to pursue other dreams. In July 2002, a team of devoted AtheOS enthusiasts forked AtheOS and made Syllable.

Since then, the Syllable development team has been working to polish Kurt's work and turn it into a general-purpose operating system that anyone can use.
As far as I know, blender has not been ported, so this post is obviously out of place, but just yesterday news was posted on the syllable sight saying that POVRay had been ported, so at least that's related.

There's my two cents.

Err three cents. I forgot to mention that the "Cosmoe" Operating systems is largely based off atheos. Cosmoe, however, uses linux. Cosmoe can be found at http://www.cosmoe.com/

bfvietnam

Post by bfvietnam » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:37 am

I am not using the Blender community to advertise SkyOS. That would be a waste of my time, how much traffic to SkyOS do you think we would receive from a forum post on the Blender community forums? The answer: not much.

Really how much use is yet another operating system? Operating systems
are nothing more than elaborate event driven simulations. I have a brother who works for HRL, who could write one for a distributed machine with one hand tied behind his back. Now lets see you try to create a 3D application.. I think you were advertising. Its rather pointless to purchase an operating system albeit with a tight kernel, than to purchase a 3D application.. Blender is free, your OS is not.. Good luck with the commercial pipe dream.

theeth

Post by theeth » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:37 am

bfvietnam wrote:Operating systems
are nothing more than elaborate event driven simulations.
Be glad I wasn't drinking anything when reading that, I would have chocked to death...

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

JWalton

Post by JWalton » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:48 am

huh, my post was remove, without mention. glad to see, the blender communiity is still only interested in their own group think. well good luck. theres more that have fallen, than risen in this world. you're in good company; As Richard Feynman was prone to write ' there plenty of room at the bottenm' (under different ciscumstantces of course)

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:53 am

JWalton wrote:huh, my post was remove, without mention. glad to see, the blender communiity is still only interested in their own group think. well good luck. theres more that have fallen, than risen in this world. you're in good company; As Richard Feynman was prone to write ' there plenty of room at the bottenm' (under different ciscumstantces of course)
First of all, what'd this guy say? Taking a stab at English is one thing, but good grief! Hitting us with a Confusious saying at the same time? Now I'm really confused! :?

SkyOS guy...? How many more OS's do we need? Seems like you're re-inventing the wheel again!

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:44 am

Dont be judgemental of skyos-
OsX, BeOS, Solaris, Irix, Windows are all commercial- This guy has made skyos and it happens to be commercial too.
If your against commercial software then I guess you wont be using it. (I know I wont anytime soon) - But that dosent mean nobody will, and he should be knocked for telling us all that blender works in his OS.

I have always got the impression that blender was OS agnostic-
If there are the users and sombody wants to compile it then so be it.

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:18 pm

ideasman wrote:Dont be judgemental of skyos-
OsX, BeOS, Solaris, Irix, Windows are all commercial- This guy has made skyos and it happens to be commercial too.
If your against commercial software then I guess you wont be using it. (I know I wont anytime soon) - But that dosent mean nobody will, and he should be knocked for telling us all that blender works in his OS.

I have always got the impression that blender was OS agnostic-
If there are the users and sombody wants to compile it then so be it.
Full ack.

(But it's a fact that the OS market is oversatiated like the fall of BeOS/etc. demonstrated. So I wish the SkyOS team the best, though I don't think that it will be a great success.)

bfvietnam

Post by bfvietnam » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:20 pm

theeth wrote:
bfvietnam wrote:Operating systems
are nothing more than elaborate event driven simulations.
Be glad I wasn't drinking anything when reading that, I would have chocked to death...

Martin
This is like when I told people smalltalk is an operating system.. Nobody would have thought of a language being a operating system, but squeak is just that, and its also smalltalk.

A OS is a event driven simulation.. Mouse events, disk events, etc.. They all drive the flow of execution. Maybe you know something I don't.. I never did very well at event driven simulations, so maybe I'm using the wrong concept.. But operating systems have seemed simple to me.. I mean, what is it, a system that processes events, sets up timed interrupts, that later interrupt a process, put the state on a stack, pop off another processes state, sets up another times interrupt, give the new process some execution time, then on the next intterupt, hands execution to a disk process, or a I/O event, or a DMA task, etc.. How it makes these decisions is with a multilevel priority que. There are tasks to read the mouse movement and collect mouse events, there are tasks to read the keyboard, possibly mouse events send off interrupts and the keyboard does too (since polling input would be too time consuming). Then there are tasks to manage the disk io.. There are college courses on this stuff.. I still have yet to see a OS that does something like MVS where you could modify the os while working on it.

Blender is unique, there is no open source you can pull from and make something like it, other than it..

My point was that the developers of SkyOS are not creating anything new, they are taking old technology and pretending to be more than it really is.. Yet another OS.. And if they think its more of something else, different like Blender or Smalltalk in how it does things, they should continue and better yet outline the features that make it unique.. But when I see such an effort go commercial and it not having quite the following one would expect from a significant piece of technology, then to turn around and treat others like they are nothing, I figure it as being peculiar, as if to defy common sense. Its reverse psychology applied to marketing, its like public relations and marketing rolled up into one: this is what the world needs, learn it love it, pay for it, what you are using sucks, its pretension.

They want acceptance, and unless they are non-commercial or providing something unique that can't be had in open source, or at the very least have a business model like AVG Virus Killer, they aren't going to get that acceptance.. To tell you the truth, I hadn't heard of SkyOS until they put up their ad here.. Going to their site reminded me of when I tried to get a copy of BeOS a ways back (I think the feeling was that I could get BeOS as a trial, and then found out the company had gone under, but I could find plenty of sites with BeOS software).. ITs the feeling of being denied access while being seduced with claims.

I pay for software that's worth it, and that I get to try before I buy, but using a new OS is too subjective, it means I have to rebuild my whole toolset on that platform, what's the point? What is the value-add? Ask that of your sales branch SkyOS, if in fact you have a sales branch, more like a few guys sitting in a back room consulting with the janitor closet.. A good value-add is like, giving something away in order to gain something or offering something that is attractive. Its a common term used in business to justify a business relationship.. What do you bring to the table that I should consider signifianct? Can I get a taste?

Commercial software will have a hard time coexisting with open source. But that's reality.. Until then, the open source is forcing many businesses to do what they wouldn't have done, had not open source existed.. That's the beauty of open source, its a marketplace watermark.. If its not as good as in open source, its not worth the time..
Last edited by bfvietnam on Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfvietnam

Post by bfvietnam » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:49 pm

ideasman wrote:I have always got the impression that blender was OS agnostic-If there are the users and sombody wants to compile it then so be it.

Well OS's are not religions. ITs just a matter of how much time you want to waste learning to use another OS, when really you have the OS you need..

But there is a difference between pissing on a significant technology from a unrelated insignificant technology.. Unless its understood that SkyOS is significant technology compared to blender, and that its following is comparatively large, I'm not going to give it the respect its developers would expect of me. I just laugh at their scoffing snobbery.

What set off my attack was that the os was free, and then it wasn't.. And then after my attack, the developer of the OS came in here to say Blender was insignificant and that he wouldn't waste his time advertising SkyOS.. Well if it sounds like a salesman, it must be a salesman.