chromium - opengl tiling

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

JWalton

chromium - opengl tiling

Post by JWalton »

anyone have experience with chromium and blender. in particular what's the performace penalty, and can full screen blender screens up to 5120x2048 be utilized?

sgefant

Post by sgefant »

Some time ago I did a quick test with 2 linux boxes (blender spanning 2 screens), and it didn't work as expected. Kind of reminded me of the early days of DRI, as blender only displayed as a flat grey square.
Performance penalty probably depends on the network connection.

sgefant

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

seems like MUCH has changed since then.

http://chromium.sourceforge.net/present ... rames.html

sgefant

Post by sgefant »

if by "then" you mean when i did my quick test, that was only a few months ago.... Actually, I don't think it was chromiums fault that it didn't work, it probably was due to me using whatever pc's I could get my hand on or my own stupidity.

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

sgefant wrote:if by "then" you mean when i did my quick test, that was only a few months ago.... Actually, I don't think it was chromiums fault that it didn't work, it probably was due to me using whatever pc's I could get my hand on or my own stupidity.
i'll take that as a positive indication. thanks. what version of linux, and distribution did you use?

sgefant

Post by sgefant »

JWalton wrote:i'll take that as a positive indication. thanks. what version of linux, and distribution did you use?
Both machines were running SuSE Linux 9.0 with whatever kernel version it ships with (2.4.21, i think). One was a P4 based system with an ATI FireGL8800, the other one has an Athlon XP and an old NVidia card (I forgot which model). I suspect mixing workstation and consumer cards was a bad idea, though I had no chance to play with chromium again after replacing the NVidia with another FireGL card.

Let me know if you are more successful than me.

kidb

Post by kidb »

sgefant wrote:
JWalton wrote:i'll take that as a positive indication. thanks. what version of linux, and distribution did you use?
Let me know if you are more successful than me.
Debian unstable, P4 2,4 Ghz 1GB, Quadro FX2000
Debian unstable amd64, Athlon64 3400, 512MB , slightly modified Nvidia6800GT
Debian unstable amd64, Asus Notebook L5D, Geforce 5650go
Kernel 2.6.8.1, OpenGL version string: 1.5.2 NVIDIA 66.29
Copper Gigabit Ethernet
Resolution 3x(1280x1024)
Chromium over DMX.
Works

You have to compile chromium with dmx-support, then setup as written in mothership/configs/autodmx.conf.

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

thanks i rather use redhat though.