Meeting with John "Mad Dog" Hall

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

JWalton

Meeting with John "Mad Dog" Hall

Post by JWalton » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:32 am

Well, I had a nice 2 hour meeting with Mr Hall at work today with about 8 other people. I am pleased to report he is a rational, and well spoken person. Also, in addition to many other things, he indicated that all the the linux zealots have left, and have found some other zealotry to occupy themselves. Linux is finally on the road to recovery. Contrast that with a meeting with RMS about 6 years ago that was decidedly unbalanced.

cheers

Goofster

Post by Goofster » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:13 pm

I guess this would be a bad place to ask...."who the hell is John Hall?"

the only "mad dog" I know is the DJ from Frasier :)

Roel

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:35 pm

Whatever gave you the idea that RMS was a spokesman for the linux community? Torvalds and Stallman are not the same person.

JWalton

Post by JWalton » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:57 pm

stiv wrote:Whatever gave you the idea that RMS was a spokesman for the linux community? Torvalds and Stallman are not the same person.
i didn't say that. the reference to RMS was an example of a zealot. of course i could have picked any number from here, i would think.

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:05 pm

sten

Post by sten » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:02 pm

@Goofster,
I wanted to ask the same question! :P

bfvietnam

Re: Meeting with John "Mad Dog" Hall

Post by bfvietnam » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:08 pm

He makes good Mad Dog Ale (from a microbrewery in New Jersey), I attended the Linux World Conference in 1999.. Yeah , I don't know why they call him mad dog, must be the beard..

JWalton

Post by JWalton » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:07 pm

he is also the godfather of linus's two children
well there's not much to add to people that use there own name for a domain. especially .org

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:44 am

JWalton:
He now, he got kicked off the GNU site, so he needs some space somewhere.

bfvietnam

Post by bfvietnam » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:17 am

Did Stallman get kicked out of GNU, didn't he come up with that organization? He thought up the GNU Public License (with the help of a lawyer) and created that organization primarily to develop tools that were "Not unix".. In fact he was going to come up with an operating system called "Herd", and had plans for GNU to do this way before Linux ever came about.. You will recognize this by looking around for GNU source code developments pre-linux.. Linux just augmented the acceptance of GNU developments. But Stallman originally wanted GNU to support Herd not linux.. That's the way he described it when I attended a talk he gave at my college around 1996.. But maybe he's changed his tune..

As for Linus, he developed the kernel for linux, he didn't develop all the source that came after. He's like a poster child for linux.. He relies on others, like possibly mad dog, to think up how to really make linux into something.. What it seems JWalton was saying is MadDog thinks that all teh linux zealots have left the building, and now linux can be developed into a more professional operating system than a random code hack by inexperienced users.. Linux will always serve as a way for coders to develop operating systems.. I can remember in college the instructors claiming atht linux was a godsend, that it gave them a way to give coders hands on programming experience with real operating systems. Whereas before they could only talk theoretically about operating system design..
However I was far enough along on my degree I couldn't take any of the new operating systems design courses..

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:01 am

http://www.gnu.org/people/rms.html
Maybe he left on friendly terms.

JWalton

Post by JWalton » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:14 pm

bfvietnam wrote:What it seems JWalton was saying is MadDog thinks that all teh linux zealots have left the building, and now linux can be developed into a more professional operating system than a random code hack by inexperienced users..

yes. and not 'thinks' he 'knows'.

masterx

Post by masterx » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:22 pm

bfvietnam wrote:Linux will always serve as a way for coders to develop operating systems.. I can remember in college the instructors claiming atht linux was a godsend, that it gave them a way to give coders hands on programming experience with real operating systems. Whereas before they could only talk theoretically about operating system design..
Well, almost. Actually there was Andy Tanenbaum's Minix as a didactic playground for OS design some time before Linux. It can be argued though whether or not Minix was a 'real' OS.