They stole the Blender logo!!!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

goblin

They stole the Blender logo!!!

Post by goblin » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:19 am

Have a look at http://www.mvps.org/skp/securepack/
This is the Blender logo (well, its reflection).
Is it OK that they Hijack the Blender logo like this?

Martin A. Boegelund

alltaken

Post by alltaken » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:21 am

i have seen it before. about 4 times almost exactly the same.

either without the dot or with 2 finger thingys.

maybee blender stole it :P :P :P :P :P

dreamerv3

Post by dreamerv3 » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:24 am

"All hands on deck!"

This is a travesty!

Quick lets all e-mail them about thier infringement, the code may be free but the trademarks aren't (Even redhat won't allow you to use the shadowman logo in your marketing if you redistribute RedHat Linux for profit).

You can't just take someones' name and identity and claim it as your own, due credit must be given (and permission obtained). Source code and ideas are free (when released as such) but names and symbolic marks belong to thier creators(unless they too are released as free content), and unless the Logo is released as GPL or its content equivalent, they cannot use it, and I do think that only the code is GPL. Furthermore, this is the NaN logo, I'm sure the blender Logo from the blender Foundation will be revised in due time to be the Belnder foundations' signature mark.

Ton?

Did you see the site?

You can tell NaN Holding and then those guys will be in trouble.

Well I'm writing them an e-mail post haste!

Later

Edit(1)
{
The NaN Blender logo is older than 1999, which is stated as the furthest year back on the copyright statement on the infringing site. The logo beloings to the originator (the first one to create it).
}

Edit(2)
{
Thier e-mail address is: sp@mvps.org
This is listed as the support address.
}

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:33 pm

The logo was designed in may/june 2000. This was done together with a british design studio, but the actual shape I came up myself, by altering a design proposal they did. I just wanted it looking more like the old blender logo...

So we definitely didnt copy the logo. Although it's *possible* someone else comes up with an identical design, the resemblance is striking.

Our logo was deposited & trademarked in june 2000 as well, in the EU and USA. It is still owned by NaN, with the BF having the right to use it.

I will contact this company in a friendly way. They don't seem to use the logo prominently. The company also more looks like a private (small)enterprise. There's not much harm to fear from them I guess. But I definitely won't give them permission to use it!

Thanks for the hint,

-Ton-

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:55 pm

http://www.mvps.org/skp/securepack/index.htm

The logo is gone! Looks like your email actions were sucessful. I hadn't time to do that yet... :-)

goblin

Post by goblin » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:32 pm

The reason why I found the Blender/NaN Lookalike Logo was that I received some presentations from a conference I attended in October.
The presentations were .exe files equipped with the small Blender-like icons. "Cool! Presentations made with Blender" I thought. Big was my disappointment when I found out that Blender had nothing to do with it :(
So I wanted to find out what was going on, and I found the SecurePack site, and the rest is history as they say.

Anyway - The SecurePack software is probably installed at numerous locations, producing a lot of presentations .exe files with the little Blender-Lookalike-Logo for some time into the future, thus "abusing" the Blender/NaN Logo, until new versions have replaced the current ones.

:idea: Maybe we should offer SecurePack a deal... They become Blender Gold sponsors, and in return, we wont take any actions against them on the usage of the Blender-Lookalike-Logo by the current versions of their application :idea:

Edit(1)
{
"Is there a lawyer in the house?"
Maybe we should let professionals deal with this, if we choose to take it any further?
}

Martin

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:23 pm

Well, I don't like to pay lawyers more than I already did... legal actions always should result in something positive, or as a last resort to defend yourself. But to threaten people to become sponsor? That's not my style. :-)

goblin

Post by goblin » Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:27 pm

Yeah, you're right.

Martin

snowy_duck

Post by snowy_duck » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:48 pm

they probably thought that since nan went out that we'd all just sorta drift off so they started using it. at least thats what i think. maybe ton said a few threatening words in that email that he hasn't told us about? eh?

just kidding of course.....or would ton do something like that? hemmm very interesting.......IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY! AHHHHHHH

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:14 am

Can someone post a picture what it looked like before they took it off their site? I'm curious..

goblin

Post by goblin » Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:45 am

You can see the logo online at this (danish) website: http://www.sas.com/offices/europe/denma ... nsseminar/ (You'll have to scroll down to the "Enterprise Intelligence – viden om din virksomhed" section).
It's not the original big logo from the SecurePack site, just the small icon that SecurePack .exe files are equipped with.

Martin

alltaken

Post by alltaken » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:53 pm

OK guys i don't think that they have removed it because i just checked it then!!!!
(after noticing someone had posted a reply saying it was gone)

and watta ya know i found my little friend again.

the BACKWARDS BLENDER LOGO. he he he what a funny saga
(but i do tell you i have seen similar all over the place including blue ones)

heres the pic by the way ( i think they just updated it to make it look better)

time stamp here (2:45 am thursday 21 november 2002) (p.s.new zealand time ~ GMT +13)

have fun guys

ilac

Post by ilac » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:14 pm

alltaken wrote:OK guys i don't think that they have removed it because i just checked it then!!!!
(after noticing someone had posted a reply saying it was gone)

and watta ya know i found my little friend again.
I just checked and can't see it. You sure your 'little friend' wasn't hiding in your cache?! :!: :D

dunbar

Post by dunbar » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:48 pm

My $0.02: offer to create a new logo for them, if they agree to back away from the current one.

Sonarman

Logo

Post by Sonarman » Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:42 pm

dunbar wrote:My $0.02: offer to create a new logo for them, if they agree to back away from the current one.
I think that's a great idea.