General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Antares

Since when is blender.org ...

Post by Antares »

distributing virus/trojans?

harkyman

Post by harkyman »

Viruses routinely spoof From: addresses.

stiv

Post by stiv »

Just so you know:

If you get mail from some Nigerian guy offering to share a big pile of money, that's *probably* fake too.

Same goes for the constant reminders from Citibank to log in to 'verify your account info'.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Also, if you get seducive mail from jessica at blender.org, don't get overly excited. It is fake. Even though the propositions might sound... exciting. Same goes for Anita and Rob.

/Nathan

theeth

Post by theeth »

jesterKing wrote:Also, if you get seducive mail from jessica at blender.org, don't get overly excited. It is fake.
Darn, and I was here all laughing thinking you weren't fooling anyone with your impersonations. ;)

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

yamyam

Post by yamyam »

theeth, I've got a mail from you. :wink:
and other blenderheads are...Bart, nico, etc.
Of course, these mails are fake. Subjects are only Re: or Your document or help! or ...

bertram

Post by bertram »

Yes, they're fake, but also the proof, that someones computer where all the blender staff is stored in an outlook adress book has been infected with a virus/worm.

joeri

Post by joeri »

not sure about that bertram.
There never was a jessica or nico at blender.org. Nor at NaN, Not a Number or NeoGeo...

levon

Post by levon »

i saw on the news today that the guy behind the Nigerian lottery, the nigerian shares, 'dead relatives inheritents' and those sorts of emails etc. he got arrested and faces up to 4 years goal time and had 1.5 million AUD$$ taken from him. it just shows some people are dumb

bertram

Post by bertram »

levon wrote: it just shows some people are dumb
It also shows how those people are greedy for money.

@joeri: Yes, not sure, but Antares' e-mail-adress in context with one of the BF seems quite suspicious to me.

joeri

Post by joeri »

I was trying to be friendly.
There was no nico at blender.org, so it can't be pulled out of the adresslist, right?
I'm no internet guru, hack not even a groupy, but doesn't the header of the mail state where it come from?
The

Code: Select all

Received: from ipmx09.bluehornet.com ([66.77.60.203]) by 
part.

And shouldn't that read:

Code: Select all

from blender.org ([62.194.17.97]) 
orso? If not, I think it's spam, not send from a virus machine at the foundation.

bertram

Post by bertram »

I don't know what's wrong with all the "somebody@blender.org" senders but:
The E-Mail that Antares received was definitely sent out by a worm. This is because of the attached file "price.scr" which indicates the worm W32.Beagle.AV@mm. And right this one is one of those who scans the outlook directory! Of course also for spoofing sender adresses.
It's not necessarily a bf-computer which is infected, but it is in fact a computer of someone who "knows" Antares and also the bf!

joeri

Post by joeri »

I'm getting rejected mail back from servers that don't want my virusses. But my (up to date) virus scanner says I'm clean.

alien-xmp

Post by alien-xmp »

joeri wrote:I'm getting rejected mail back from servers that don't want my virusses. But my (up to date) virus scanner says I'm clean.
That's because the virus is spoofing *your* email address as the from on someone else's computer.

bf-blender-cvs@blender.org is a public mailing list - anyone can sign up, so it's probably in lots of peoples collected addresses, and it can easily be picked up by a spam spider searching the internet harvesting email addresses to spam. If you sign up, you get a message everytime someone makes a change to blender's source!