Blender or...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

umm

Blender or...

Post by umm »

Hello I am new to blender and have to say that I find it INCREDIBLY complicated and confusing to use.
After an hour work I managed to put in an object, but I cant zoom in yet, I dont know why if I click on it it sometimes rotates or other times moves and why I cannot select the object which has been initially there.

Then I am asking myself: Why does that MS-Dos screen have to be open when I use blender? It only tells me:
"import site" failed; use -v for traceback
sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.

with that blender, my initial feeling is: I dont want to use it any more. Too complicated and my Bryce is just working fine and easy enough to handle for stupid people like me.

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

You should use the application that works best for what
you want to do.

Blender has a lot of features and is a very complicated package to use. Its something that you going to have to invest a couple of hours learning how to use if you really want to use the program.

You should really sit down with the manual and or online tutorials and get the hang of the program before trying to just do a project.

Here are some great links to get you started if you want to continue learning blender:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Using_Blender.80.0.html

umm

Post by umm »

Thanks for your quick answer,
BTW do you know why I get that MS-Dos screen (see my first post)? It bugs me and if I close it then the blender also shuts down?

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

Sorry skipped that. Thats a console window that will sometimes print out error messages. It's mostly for debugging purposes, it was taken out a while back and everyone complained so it was added back in.

You can safely minimize it and just ignore it if you want to.

umm

Post by umm »

Thanks.

loos

Videos, videos, videos!

Post by loos »

Also, you should try checking out the videos tutorials they talk about on the front page of this site (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Video_Tutorials.396.0.html). They give a great introduction showing you how to move around, place objects and such. They might be helpful :D

joeri

Post by joeri »

On a little side track: I hope one day the error output will go into a window in blender. Often working full screen it's silly to swap back and forth to the cmd-window, specialy when using the game-engine.

halibut

Post by halibut »

Couldn't there be an option to disable the console window?

I think for long term windows users it makes the program feel as though it is not fully incorporated in to their desktop (does this make sense?),

The error can be slightly off putting to beginners too. I have never had a need to look at this console window, so it is just an annoyance really (for me).

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

well, the console is very useful in python

if you use the standard 'print' command it is put on the console, and python debuggin errors are on the console.

lukep

Post by lukep »

halibut wrote:Couldn't there be an option to disable the console window?

I think for long term windows users it makes the program feel as though it is not fully incorporated in to their desktop (does this make sense?),
On other platforms (unix based), this console dont exist as those prints are directed to the system one, or the launch term depending. The fact is that window dont have support for such a thing. So you need to furnish a replacement.

integrating the window directly in blender is a bit of work but could be done yes.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

hrm

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>
#include <windows.h>

int main (int argc, char* argv[]) {
	int tmp;
	printf("begin\n");
	tmp = FreeConsole();
	// so, the console should be gone here, if tmp is non-zero
	tmp = AllocConsole();
	// tmp zero on failure
	printf("whee, new console?\n");
	return 0;
}
seems simple enough

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us ... onsole.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us ... onsole.asp

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo »

I have an idea, it would be too hard to build a "Blender Learning Edition"? :)

I whant to learn to code so I could do it, mmm and I compiled blender once 8) ja ja

Ok, the learning edition could have only the basic things, the ones that people learn first. (whit extrude you can do a lot of things)

-Only Raytracing for mirror (easier)
-Extrude, Spin, remove doubles
-SubSurf of course
-Etc, etc, you get the point :wink:

So people could learn quickly the things they realy need for a start and then move to -M E G A Blender- :P

Do you think that this would be easy, just remove interface stuff?

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

I think a learn edition would be really cool, but removing useful tools is not the best way... I would rather see a window with interactive help. It shows information and tutorials in relation with the action you perform and where is your mouse :)

And different shades of color for the different buttons showing if it is a basic/beginner tool or an advanced tool, so the beginner would know where to click first :)

rcas

Post by rcas »

ZanQdo wrote:I have an idea, it would be too hard to build a "Blender Learning Edition"? :)

I whant to learn to code so I could do it, mmm and I compiled blender once 8) ja ja

Ok, the learning edition could have only the basic things, the ones that people learn first. (whit extrude you can do a lot of things)

-Only Raytracing for mirror (easier)
-Extrude, Spin, remove doubles
-SubSurf of course
-Etc, etc, you get the point :wink:

So people could learn quickly the things they realy need for a start and then move to -M E G A Blender- :P

Do you think that this would be easy, just remove interface stuff?
Working on something to solve this.
Interactive Courses made for the newbies and experienced users.

Will have to wait a few months thought.

It will be on top of the Xical Platform and it will be narrated video with documentation on the side.
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

fligh

Post by fligh »

2.25 = learning edition and has the benefit of loads of tuts with that UI.

%<