Theme from 2.35 screenshot

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

hpygocrazy

Theme from 2.35 screenshot

Post by hpygocrazy »

I think the theme for blender that is shown in the screenshot on the front page of www.blender3d.com for 2.35 should be included with all the releases.
See the image of 2.35 with the character head. I really dig the colors of the theme and was disappointed to find that it is not included with blender 2.35. I believe that the screenshots on blender3d.com should only be of blender as it is when everyone downloads it and not someones modified version. It might throw some people off when then see something they like but find out it is not included in the version they downloaded.

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

That theme can be downloaded if you go to the release notes page and then scroll down to the part about the UI now having transparent menus and in that section it has a B.blend file for download with that theme in it.

It reminds me of 3DSMax a lot. Very cool theme... I typically don't stray from the base theme a whole lot except for making things darker. But this was was a fun change.

bertram

Post by bertram »

No kidding? You're really talking about blender becoming lame just because of you personally prefer some colours and dislike others?
There are discussions about the Python API, blender's IK-Solver and Subsurface Scattering and you are fussy about a color theme...? :?

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

Don't know what thread your reading... Nobody here said anything about blender becoming lame...

I actually sorta agree with hpygocrazy about using only screenshots that depict blender as it is after a default install as it can and probably will confuse people.

But at the same time it was mainly covered in the release notes about the new menu transparency abilities... so it was not really out of place this time.

And yes... there are a billion other cool new features that can be discussed as well.. but colors in a user interface also deserve discussion as we could otherwise end up with a completely ugly interface with very obsene colors. Having a well thought out color scheme for a userinterface goes a long ways to making a tool easy to use. Its how you recognize things. But... Anyways....

bertram

Post by bertram »

It might throw some people off when they see something they like but find out it is not included in the version they downloaded.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?b ... =throw+off
Giving up a piece of software just because it's colour theme is disappointing IMO is like judging it to be lame.
[...]otherwise end up with a completely ugly interface with very obsene colors
Yes. Sure. If they would ever have been ugly and obscene.

No offence guys, but blender is "theme-able" since when?.. 2.31?... anyway... Apparently no one feels offended, that winamp 5.05 still ships in the same suit as in the first release. So doesn't any OS user when he occasionally discovers an unseen theme...

Some people like transparency,... some don't (That was the message that I got in another talk on this forum). And some people like red buttons and some prefer blue ones. It's purely a matter of taste. And pleasing one user with a blooming rainbow-colored theme may cause another user to become haunted by sudden sickness.

My opinion is, that the current color theme is nearly ageless, with a professionall appeal (see comp.-soft like combusion, shake, etc.) and it won't offend anyone (please do also mind the political and religious meaning of colours!)

S**t! I've spent so much time on this that I conducted my first post ad absurdum!
OK. May I revise my first post. After all it's worth a discussion... And I'm wrong... :cry:

hpygocrazy

Post by hpygocrazy »

I think only Pablosbrain gets what I was stating. I've been using Blender since 2.0 or earlier and I'm not going to stop using Blender because the theme wasn't what I had seen.

My point is that there are people who are new to Blender and a screenshot can tell a lot. If this new person downloads Blender and expects to see what they were shown, but doesn't, they could say WTF? and be disapointed.

halibut

Post by halibut »

I definately think this theme should be included with default install. And why not a couple more? (I'm assuming they take up such insignificant space)

The average user isn't going to be fussed making their own theme from scratch. How about a place to download a couple from on the blender3d.org page?

kirpre

Post by kirpre »

For many themes, see the following:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33227

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

halibut wrote:I definately think this theme should be included with default install. And why not a couple more? (I'm assuming they take up such insignificant space)

The average user isn't going to be fussed making their own theme from scratch. How about a place to download a couple from on the blender3d.org page?
Totally agree with you...

joeri

Post by joeri »

I think the default theme should stay the same with all the releases, for educational purposes.
People new to blender should not need to 'read' truw all the 'noise' of colors and positions. It's hard enough to find all the buttons, it would be worse if they also don't look the same (as in the docs).

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

bertram wrote:Some people like transparency,... some don't (That was the message that I got in another talk on this forum). And some people like red buttons and some prefer blue ones. It's purely a matter of taste. And pleasing one user with a blooming rainbow-colored theme may cause another user to become haunted by sudden sickness.
i think the default theme should be the one that doesn't assume some level of computer capabilty. put another way, it should be the one that puts the least amount of burden on the machine. no transparency, eye-candy, etc... and you can add increased amounts of subjective pleasure to your theme by customizing it. this makes sense from the rational that those that want the most customization should work the hardest, and those that require the least amount of effort should not be burdened my it.

(Bertram i do not address you personally with this reply, only it seemed within my limited amount of thread reading to be the logical one to tack my opinion to).

i would also agree with joeri that the deftaul theme should always be the same: the one that the documentation is showing.

Usagi

Post by Usagi »

hpygocrazy wrote:My point is that there are people who are new to Blender and a screenshot can tell a lot. If this new person downloads Blender and expects to see what they were shown, but doesn't, they could say WTF? and be disapointed.
In that case they are very small-minded which is their problem not ours.

Eternl_Knight

Post by Eternl_Knight »

I think calling them "small minded" is a bit elitist... Think about it, what other applications show as the FIRST SCREENSHOT a potential user would see? None bar the actual linux window managers to my knowledge. To call a person "small minded" for expecting what they were shown is (in my not-so-humble-opinion) the same type of attitude that helped hold Linux, BeOS, etc back from widespread acceptance.

halibut

Post by halibut »

Usagi wrote:
hpygocrazy wrote:My point is that there are people who are new to Blender and a screenshot can tell a lot. If this new person downloads Blender and expects to see what they were shown, but doesn't, they could say WTF? and be disapointed.
In that case they are very small-minded which is their problem not ours.
Completely disagree. This does not make them small minded.

joeri

Post by joeri »

I would not call it open minded if you can't see the difference between an image of an app in use and the app running on your desktop.