Theme from 2.35 screenshot

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

dcuny

Post by dcuny »

I can assure you that when I download a new version of Blender and it doesn't match the screenshot, the first thing I wonder is if I've grabbed the right version.

If you want to show off some cool non-default feature, at least give the poor newbies a chance mentioning that it's non-standard, and linking to some instructions on how to get that feature.

halibut

Post by halibut »

joeri wrote:I would not call it open minded if you can't see the difference between an image of an app in use and the app running on your desktop.
Well, if it is the MAIN screenshot on the official download page, and it looks to have a really interesting theme and someone downloads it and it looks very different?!

If it had just been one of many in a screenshot gallery then fair enough.

theeth

Post by theeth »

So if we showed different themes on the same page, the *users* should expect them to be all visible at once? Come on... :roll:

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Eternl_Knight

Post by Eternl_Knight »

So if we showed different themes on the same page, the *users* should expect them to be all visible at once? Come on...
Sorry theeth - this is a strawman's argument. We're all talking about the "primary screenshot" on the "main page" for Blender (to the average web-browser). Someone has already stated that if it were mixed in with other themes in a "screenshot gallery" that it would be acceptable & understandable. To have something distributed that is SO different from the main page promo image is just asking for "new user confusion".

I don't think anyone is (any longer) asking you to make it the default theme. But to have it as one distributed with the software, a disclaimer regarding it's non-default status on the main page, &/or instructions on how to get the theme is not much to ask for is it? We're talking marketing here - not technical merit.

bertram

Post by bertram »

Okay, I do finally agree on the consensus of having only screenshots from the standard blender-installation (without customization) on the most exposed pages of b3d.org.
But only the argument from dcuny "[...] the first thing I wonder is if I've grabbed the right version." has convinced me :|

Eternl_Knight

Post by Eternl_Knight »

Works for me :) Wasn't a problem for me as I've been using it for a while. Simply a "new user" thing :)

theeth

Post by theeth »

Eternl_Knight wrote:
So if we showed different themes on the same page, the *users* should expect them to be all visible at once? Come on...
Sorry theeth - this is a strawman's argument.
Well duh. This was meant to be. ;)
To have something distributed that is SO different from the main page promo image is just asking for "new user confusion".
It's a PR trick to reduce newbies inflow. See, you learn everyday! :P
I don't think anyone is (any longer) asking you to make it the default theme. But to have it as one distributed with the software, a disclaimer regarding it's non-default status on the main page, &/or instructions on how to get the theme is not much to ask for is it? We're talking marketing here - not technical merit.
And on that I totally agree.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

llunasol

Post by llunasol »

dcuny wrote:I can assure you that when I download a new version of Blender and it doesn't match the screenshot, the first thing I wonder is if I've grabbed the right version.

If you want to show off some cool non-default feature, at least give the poor newbies a chance mentioning that it's non-standard, and linking to some instructions on how to get that feature.
I also agree. This is not good marketing wise.

Nevertheless, it's true that the screenshot on the official Blender3d.org front page looks really cool and inspired on some last generation succesful 3D applications out there. I think that the official release should already come with 3 or 4 different themes to show the possibilities. I first installed several of the new themes because they looked so cool, but after a while I was back to the "good&clear" default one :D

halibut

Post by halibut »

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34682

There we go, I'm not denying this guy didn't "look hard enough". But truth is it needs to be made as simple as possible for them. He only has a post count of two, so must of signed up just to ask that question.