Muse RenderMan compliant with Blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox »

birras wrote:It's a petty that the thread has turned off topic so much. But it cant be undone.
So in my opinion, the best would be to delete this thread and open a new one in the render forum , here at blender.org.
.rib export is somewhat on the agenda, and from notes Ive read, Ton was looking a couple of month ago for collaborators with broad knowledge of the renderman interface, to make such a thing happen.
I agree with you that is a pitty what this thread turned off.
I am willing to collaborate with other programmers in order to create a stable .Rib exporter for Blender. If anyone whant's to be involved in that subject, all the help is welcome.
Concerning the Academy... The PixelBox RenderMan Academy is now PixelBox Academy . And why that? That's because from now on I will be offering for Gelato ( the nVidia's renderer ) what I was offering to RenderMan.
Gelato is already a great and powerfull rendering software even being fairly new.
I am now working with nVidia at Gelato's Developer Program, developing a tool that will become unvaluable to Gelato's pipeline.
Concerning Muse... Well, I will not change the name. Muse is a name that I like a lot, and that reflects very well what I want Muse to become. An source of inspiration. What Muse will differ from other RenderMan compliant renderers? Please, visit the Muse website in the next 2 days, and that question will be completelly clarified.

As you see, I have not understood your words upside down :D . If people talk in a civilized way, I respond in the same manner. But, if people talk in a arrogant manner and quoting things without having read well what is written ( that's the reason of the READ :D ), I'm sorry but I just not tolerate that.

rcas

Post by rcas »

Hi.

I live in Portugal, so "Olá".
I am very interested in Muse.

Some questions you might be able to answer:

Will Muse be Gelato compliant ? Or is there any other project for this ?
Will Muse be Windows specific or will it be Linux and MAC ready ?

On the requests you asked, I must say that having full Renderman Compliance will address most basic feature requests.

So, on to my list of requests:

Linux and MAC compliant;
Built-In Network Render (easy to setup if possible);
Ability to render one frame in several network render clients;

Good integration with Blender (be it built into blender or through export script), focusing the following:
- Good shader compatibility with Blender's internal shader, allowing me to get a similar output to what I am seing in Blender. (This could be done adding a new texture plugin to blender that would load a ".rib" material file and give some options to it, working as we load a picture in blender)
- Ability to use Blender sequencer with Muse renders. (This would mean at least some built-in integration with blender)
- Ability to render a full animation directly from blender. (This should be by default, but nevertheless)
- Have some statistic in Blender (or in a console) of estimated time to finish render (taking the possible network clients into account).
- Ability to export a .Rib file for possible editing.

Some more might come to my mind, but this is what I could remember for now.

Disregard all non constructive comments, if they don't like, they don't need to use, so they should just avoid doing such comments.

Hope Muse comes to be the next evolution in Open Source Rendering.

Much luck to the project.
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

DYeater

Post by DYeater »

I've just read this whole topic, and all I can say is ... wow. Has anybody heard from mister pixelbox? It's like reading a mystery and having the last page torn out. I'd love to know if he ever even started his muse project. I guess it's not that important though, for I have no interest in going back through these pages and looking for his links again ... 8)

harkyman

Post by harkyman »

I actually check up on our positive friend from time to time. His project at sourceforge hasn't shown activity in months. I downloaded the 0.3.1 Alpha of their source code and surprise: not a single bit of render code that I could see. To my untrained eye, it looked like empty declarations and windows headers. The website for his company ViaRender Systems also shows zero progress. Of course, they highlight where they have been mentioned in automated or self-submitted online news sources. And they point out that their website had a million hits. And they mention SigGraph. But only to say that it'll be doing some open source stuff this year. Not that they'll have anything to actually, you know, do with it.

Oh, the wikipedia entry for Muse has been killed due to the good wikipedians seeing the BS for what it most likely was.

In fact, the only thing our old friend seems to be putting time into is the Pixelbox Academy, which is supposedly, a "leading resource for Renderman and Gellato learning." I checked it out. The tutorials (such as they are) are, IMHO, quite lacking in the finished product department, if you know what I mean. Check out the comments in the tutorials threads on the not-very-used forum page. Amusing. I wonder if anyone is actually paying for a membership and the premium tutorials?

As I said previously, I really wish that someone, even this guy, would be able to do what he said: create an ass-kicking open source clone of PRMan. I never said the guy couldn't do it, just that it seemed like he was farting lots of smoke. Lots and lots. He's still making the same claims, btw, in the same manner that he made them here. A lot "Muse will fully support Gellato" stuff and "Muse will do this and that other thing which are significantly non-trivial to implement, but are a piece of cake to type into a list when I'm writing a web page."

The reason I keep tabs on the whole deal is that I don't like to be wrong, but when I am, I like to be up front and admit it. I also feel that I kind of called the guy out as a snake-oil salesman in this thread, and I don't like to do that to people. I want to make very sure I did not misjudge. If Bruno does what he says he was going to do, I'll be first in line to give him congrats and apologize. Something tells me I'm not going to have to do that, though.

DYeater

Post by DYeater »

I have seen so many hopeful people with wonderful plans and goals. It's sad when 95% of them fail. I'm sure it has alot to do with great ambition, but little skill at handling a major project. Our "friend" though really turned me off from his second post or so. The term "snake-oil" man fits rather well I think. I too don't like to think such things of people, but the way the world is today, it's hard not to. I appreciate your checking up on him, for I too would like to see a render engine like renderman available for Blender. I remember waaaay back when I used to play with POVray raytracer. You had to run it from DOS and use a script to set it's parameters. Things have come along way ... and I'm getting old. :cry:

Then again, in this community anyway, I'm an ancient old man. My first computer was a Radio Shack Model I, Level I ... it had a whole 4K of RAM memory ... yes ... 4000 bytes. I never thought I'd use all that memory. You had to save programs on a cassette. Took about an hour to load a program into memory. I paid $700 for that computer. It came with a keyboard and a monitor. The computer was in the keyboard. You had to use your own cassette recorder. Mind you, this was $700 in 1976 currency. Quite alot of money back then.

Well, enough of this. I think I'll just hobble to bed now ... sigh (I know this was way off topic, but this thread is dead anyhoo).

harkyman

Post by harkyman »

Dead for sure. Your post brought back some memories for me, too. I confiscated my Dad's TI-99/4A when I was little, and saved up all of my pocket money to buy the Extended Basic cartridge so I could write games with freely-moving sprites. Years later, I spent way too many hours at work writing POV scenes in a text editor when I should have been editing copy for the new brochures. :oops:

But yeah, a lot of projects die early on the vine. That's why I've never trumpeted BlenderPeople to the ends of the Earth. I don't know if I'll be able to finish it to a useful level. I'd love to, but I don't know if it's ever going to happen. I'll try, though, and ask for help when I need it.

BTW, you made me reread the thread and stay up way too late. Thanks. I'm old, too.

DYeater

Post by DYeater »

rofl ... sorry about that. :wink: