Would you pay for online rendering service?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

pearl

Would you pay for online rendering service?

Post by pearl »

With the growing popularity of Blender/Yafray, it makes me wonder if there are artists or studios out there who would be willing to pay for rendering services. Would you be willing to pay for rendering service for Blender/Yafray?

JoOngle

Post by JoOngle »

Probably not - unless the prices where really low and bandwith really
high. Most online renderfarms for other software today are so expensive
that as a hobbyist I wouldn't even consider it.

But I'm no hobbyist anymore (well - a little) I do work with Blender
at work every day and yet I've not encountered a situation when I
needed an online renderfarm.

If it comes to that - I'd probably just purchase a bunch of cheap
bamboo-computers (they're dirt cheap these days) and render from
there.

The only reason I could come up for the need for a renderfarm
(with a HUGE lot of computers) would be if I where to make a
high-quality cartoon series with raytracing involved - then It'd make
sense with an online renderfarm.

But that's just my opinion about it.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Not very likely.
The price needs to be under buying gear myself.

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

you can find renderfarm time on ebay.
check pricing.

joeri, reasonable renderfarm is 3-4euro's. electricity should not be ignored 1 week of rendering is pretty expessive to power.

emack

Post by emack »

When I have tried pricing on existing renderfarms (e.g. rendercore.com), I found that one sizeable job (600 frames, 30 minutes/frame) ended up being approximately the cost of buying another computer to help ($800-$1000 USD). It gets done faster on the online renderfarm, but if the job can be done overnight with a spare machine or two it is not very attractive.

Arathorn

Post by Arathorn »

For rendering animations this might be a good alternative to renting render time: http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26437

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

Arathorn wrote:For rendering animations this might be a good alternative to renting render time: http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26437
We achieved the firsts test with success :) thanks to Flare :)

Arathorn

Post by Arathorn »

When (approximately) will the project be fully working?

pearl

Post by pearl »

What if the renderfarm were free, like Blender, and operated off of donations, sales of other things (books), and advertising?

bfvietnam

Re: Would you pay for online rendering service?

Post by bfvietnam »

pearl wrote:With the growing popularity of Blender/Yafray, it makes me wonder if there are artists or studios out there who would be willing to pay for rendering services. Would you be willing to pay for rendering service for Blender/Yafray?

I would pay 200% the cost of rendering.. A cautious businessman might say 300% . But since it doesn't take very many people to manage a network of computers, especially since rendering doesn't require a lot of networking capacity, I could have the machines arranged with wirelesss connections for instance, I would weight it more towards 200%..

How to compute cost.. Get a Pentium4 machine or a AMD processor machine.. Make a super complex model that would take decades to complete.. Run the machine until it dies.. Assess the cost of getting the machine fixed or replaced, assess cost of electricity to the machine, the man hours spent maintaining the machine, cost for building to house machine. Repeat experiment for ten machines.. Average the cost.. Distribute cost over time, multiply by two or three, this is your price.. The cost is the lower bound, the price is the upper, in between is what you pay yourself and your employees, also figure into this health insurance and liability insurance, etc.. You might also want to invest in some UPS's and some Halon Systems.

Oh look up Cost and Price in the Wikipedia..

For me, where I am in the world, I would probably pay 2 dollars an hour for this service, I'm very frugal.. Someone else might pay more.. But I would start with lower prices, to win approval, then hike the rate later offering more computing performance and special deals..

But as for the actual question.. If the quality of the facilities in blender become more and more complex, like if there is support for rendering hair, cloth, complex collisions, subsurface scattering, volumetric rendering, etc.. Then, the need for renderfarms would probably go up in the blender community.. It may even level the playingfield and allow blender users to do bigger and more complex projects.

I'd also see a need in the future for collaborative design servers, where groups of blender users would come together and collaborate on the design of a scene or a movie, a game, etc. For such a collaboration, there would need to be a server, and it may become preferrable for the server to generate previews for the users so that they can see the finished product, influencing their contribution to the project. Talk to Eskil about development of Verse into such a system..

But for me, I would have no need for these services at this time.
But if I had to get something out ontime.. I would pay anywhere between 2 and 5 dollars and hour on a 3 Ghz machine.

bfvietnam

Post by bfvietnam »

pearl wrote:What if the renderfarm were free, like Blender, and operated off of donations, sales of other things (books), and advertising?
I think that it wouldn't matter.. Probably what would work is some system where people could offer up their computers as rendering resources in exchange for payment. This may be how future contributions to blender come.. It sounds like spyware I admit.. But there is a lot of people out there with lots fo extra CPU cycles. I think the method here is to produce a unique operating environment.. Like the Collaborative modelling/animation environment that Eskil, Ton and people like myself have dreamt about for years. People will pay to collaborate and interact online, look at the Everquest worlds and WOW.. How addictive would a virtual world be where you could create your own virtual world in blender.. It would be a good vehicle, but I would guess a number of the blender audience would like the collaborative animation production environment.

Its harder, yes, but that's business.. I think this is the avenuqe of Fortune Eskil is looking for, and would fund the development of his collaborative 3D HUB concept, Verse..

pearl

Conclusion...

Post by pearl »

So, it looks like Blender is not big-time enough to warrant commercial rendering services.

bertram

Post by bertram »

Well, it definately depends on how tight the schedule of a project is.
I've already been requesting a proposal from the guys from renderplanet for doing a 6.000 frames PAL @ 7,5 minutes p. Frame and I think it was fair priced. The thing was that I've been stuck on the renderd-/renderdemon software which has been fixed during the blender conference. Therefore I was able to do the job myself.
I basically have big interest in renderfarms, yes, and I'm willing to pay for each relief in the schedule if it's reliable and adequately controllable.