Blender and MPEG4

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

elander

Blender and MPEG4

Post by elander »

Will Blender, in a near future, be able to produce mpeg-4 content ? This format is almost o rip-off of vrml and since blender as a good vrml exporter it would be nice to have a an app that could also play and produce content for mpeg-4.

halibut

Post by halibut »

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't mpeg4 a video standared?

theeth

Post by theeth »

halibut wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but isn't mpeg4 a video standared?
Indeed it is, so I really don't get what elander is trying to say.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

wavk

Post by wavk »

Well it's more than a video standard. I read somewhere that the mp4 standard should also play flash movies, 3d content an lots of other stuff. Confusing isn't it?

joeri

Post by joeri »

Not really confusing.
mpeg 4 is a container format. (like avi).

halibut

Re: Blender and MPEG4

Post by halibut »

elander wrote:Will Blender, in a near future, be able to produce mpeg-4 content ? This format is almost o rip-off of vrml and since blender as a good vrml exporter it would be nice to have a an app that could also play and produce content for mpeg-4.
Well, I don't know much about this, but I don't think it should be too hard to change the vrml exporter to export mpeg4 (if they are similar format).

elander

Post by elander »

After reading some articles on this site i got the impression that mpeg4 objectives are very close to the objectives of Blender.

Mpeg4 is not just the name of a media format is also the name of a movement to bring interactive television to the mass media. Check this site to know more:

http://www.m4if.org/resources/IEEESpect ... g-4.htm#f1

Some quotes from the article:

"Possibly the greatest of the advances made by MPEG-4 is that viewers and listeners need no longer be passive. The height of "interactivity" in audiovisual systems today is the user's ability merely to stop or start a video in progress. MPEG-4 is completely different: it allows the user to interact with objects within the scene, whether they derive from so-called real sources, such as moving video, or from synthetic sources, such as computer-aided design output or computer-generated cartoons. Authors of content can give users the power to modify scenes by deleting, adding, or repositioning objects, or to alter the behavior of the objects; for example, a click on a box could set it spinning."

"MPEG-4's language for describing and dynamically changing the scene is named the Binary Format for Scenes (BIFS). BIFS commands are available not only to add objects to or delete them from the scene, but also to change visual or acoustic properties of an object without changing the object in itself; thus the color alone of a 3-D sphere might be varied."

"BIFS borrows many concepts from the Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML), which is the method used most widely on the Internet to describe 3-D objects and users' interaction with them. "

"More important, unlike VRML, MPEG-4 uses BIFS for real-time streaming, that is, a scene does not need to be downloaded in full before it can be played, but can be built up on the fly. Lastly, BIFS allows defining 2-D objects such as lines and rectangles--something currently not possible in VRML. (MPEG and the Web 3-D Consortium are working together on making MPEG-4 and VRML evolve consistently.)"

Samjh

Post by Samjh »

Well, it's oddly named (I thought MPEG were movie formats). But if MPEG-4 becomes widespread, I'm sure someone will come up with a script to output to it.

elander

Post by elander »

You will find this even more odd. This is an mpeg4 "movie" that lets you play the tic-tac-toe game.

You need to have the Java plug-in installed to see.

http://www.research.ibm.com/mpeg4/Demos ... /index.htm

And this is an mpeg "movie" for an interactive class on a mobile phone. Listen to the teacher while you can click on one of the mobile phone buttons to interact with the movie.

http://www.research.ibm.com/mpeg4/Demos ... m_J2ME.xml

joeri

Post by joeri »

As far as I know it was planned to be a construct.
So it could hold codec to play movies and the movies, and codes the play games, and 3d information to make overlay screens or games etc.
There where talks going on to have blender be the mpeg4 3d because of the dna system. But this was close to the end of Not a Number.
But the document is thick, nobody understands it (except a very few), and others are already using the name mpeg4 for new compression methods. Apples mpeg 4 should be close to the mpeg4 document as far as I know, but is far away from interactive TV. That's what I know about it.