Dell M60 with Nvidia Fx Go 1000 graphics problems

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sedgetone

Dell M60 with Nvidia Fx Go 1000 graphics problems

Post by sedgetone »

Since upgrading to the new Nvidia drivers in November I'm having a lot of problems with menu redraw in blender. I'm using XP Pro and Fedora Core 3 and both are showing the same errors; infact it's worse in XP than Linux. Is anybody else having these issues or is it just me :?:

Other than that 2.36 rocks, normal maps are fantastic!!!

Sedgetone

fobsta

Post by fobsta »

I have an Asus laptop with Geforce FX Go5650 graphics, dual booting with Win XP home and Fedora core 3.

The nvidia drivers are 1.0-6629

Blender and other OpenGL apps work fine in both operating systems

sedgetone

Post by sedgetone »

Are you using the default setting from Nvidia or have you changed anything?

Sedgetone

fobsta

Post by fobsta »

Default values - nothing tweaked

sedgetone

Post by sedgetone »

Well I'm still having problems with 2.36 and menu redraw.... 2.23, 2.25 work fine. I've tried under Fedora Core1, FC3 and even on some of our SGI's where I work (Tezro and OnyxII's all running IRIX6.5.23F) all show the same redraw problems on the menu's.

I can't believe it's a driver problem as these all use completely different graphics cards yet exhibit the same problems. I can't be the only person with this problem..... :(

Sedgetone

sedgetone

Post by sedgetone »

I have just noticed something else, it would seem to depend on the resolution of your monitor as to how bad the problem becomes. Most of the SGI's where I work run at 1900x1600 as does my laptop.... but we have an Octane2 running at 1280x1024 running IRIX6.5.23f and it's fine with 2.36. Is anybody else running blender at such high resolutions and having a similar problem:?:

Sedgetone

fobsta

Post by fobsta »

I'm running at 1400x1050

Tezro mmmmmmmm.........

sedgetone

Post by sedgetone »

Tezro is not so much Mmmmmm as ARRRGGHHH!!!!! Grade A pain in the back side more like. I spend more time replacing parts in them then I do on any of our other SGI's (we have quite a few.... 28 at the last count). One of them has had three new V12 graphics set's, two VBOB's, one new processor and a replacement knode board in the last 6 months. Then to compound problems further we run some of the worlds most unreliable software on them, Discreet Logic's Smoke6. I've grown to loath both SGI and Discreet in equal measures over the last five years.

Sorry for the rant, only I've had rather a bad SGI week :(

Sedgetone

fobsta

Post by fobsta »

Hey it's true then - SGI's aren't what they used to be!

The original Multigen was the most unreliable people of SGI software I ever came across. It had great features when it worked though (Mario 64 anyone?)