real time fluid

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Money_YaY!

real time fluid

Post by Money_YaY! » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:55 pm

http://www.ss.iij4u.or.jp/%7Eamada/fluid/

Play play ! Stick in Blender Blender! ..
Last edited by Money_YaY! on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indigomonkey

Post by indigomonkey » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:00 pm

Ooh, looks pretty nice...

theeth

Re: real time fluid

Post by theeth » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:15 pm

Money_YaY! wrote:http://www.ss.iij4u.or.jp/%7Eamada/fluid/

Play play ! Stick in Blender Blender! ..
Yes yes, lets just open one of blender's source file at random and copy that code in there, it's bound to work isn't it...

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

bfvietnam

hmm

Post by bfvietnam » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:33 pm

Oh yeah, it has no plugin api..

Wouldn't it be neat if blender had a plugin API for this
sort of thing.. I guess eventually once the programmers get tired of
patch the binary, that a plugin API will become interesting.

I know the reasons against it is that it would make blender files dependent
on plugins.. Of course, with a plugin like this, nothing special is really added to the blend file that is not there already. It would just be a matter of tagging an object as a fluid or a fluid container, then let the simulation deal with that.

Money_YaY!

Re: hmm

Post by Money_YaY! » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:47 pm

bfvietnam wrote:Oh yeah, it has no plugin api..

Wouldn't it be neat if blender had a plugin API for this
sort of thing.. I guess eventually once the programmers get tired of
patch the binary, that a plugin API will become interesting.

I know the reasons against it is that it would make blender files dependent
on plugins.. Of course, with a plugin like this, nothing special is really added to the blend file that is not there already. It would just be a matter of tagging an object as a fluid or a fluid container, then let the simulation deal with that.
Is it because everyone else has plugins that we dont follow this method? Python scripts seem to act like plugins but I hear at times that this and that is not available in the current python so this and that feature can not be put to full use.

madprof

Post by madprof » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:06 pm

I don' t think that was theeth's point.
Yes, a full and proper plugin API would be cool, but even then, this sort of thing isn't just a copy-and-paste job. Most likely it would have to be re-implimented from scratch, by people who are busy doing other things, I think he was objecting to the

"Play play ! Stick in Blender Blender! .."

as if it is easy to add such things to blender. It is not. Even if we had a complete plugin type system which allowed this kind of thing, it would still not be a cut-and-paste 10 minute wow!

There are more important things be done in blender at the moment. Check the wiki... the interface is being seriously cleaned up (check a recent tuhopuu). Ton has been cleaning up the rendering code in very good ways, so that in the future, it will be easier to add things like this without it being an ugly hack, which would, currently, be the only way of adding it, and doing do would make it harder to add new things in the future. Many great things are happening, low-level, in blender.

Yes, this appears to be a rather cool water sim, and possibly quite useful... (I haven't looked properly though)... but "Stick in Blender!" feels a trifle childish...

(No offense intended, if I have offended anyone, just shout at me.)

Dan

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:15 pm

madprof wrote:Yes, this appears to be a rather cool water sim, and possibly quite useful... (I haven't looked properly though)... but "Stick in Blender!" feels a trifle childish...

(No offense intended, if I have offended anyone, just shout at me.)

Dan
Naw dude, I was just posting the link, and was just 'new feature request' I never meant that it is something put in now.. I just wanted to share a link. No harm no fowl.

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:49 am

Is it really useful Monkey??

Is there no better thing to do with Blender?

Are you (all) thinking dynamics (softbody,fluid) will make better anim for you?

Physical fancy stuff can wait far.

simonharvey

Post by simonharvey » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:19 am

coltseaver wrote:Is it really useful Monkey??
This fluid dynamics come standard these days, either as a plugin or integrated into a packages dynamics engine.
coltseaver wrote: Are you (all) thinking dynamics (softbody,fluid) will make better anim for you?
I am currently writing up an OceanFFT effect for blender, it makes the ocean animations look so more realistic, giving the artist time to give more attention to other areas.

I am not an animator by trade, instead I am more of a physist/coder but I would say that my ocean looks way more realistic than any ocean that I have seen a talented blender artist create.

So the answer to this question is yes.
coltseaver wrote: Physical fancy stuff can wait.
You should see the following link:
http://blender.org/modules.php?op=modlo ... =0&thold=0

Developers here generally do what interests them (I know I do), the fact is that blender does need improved animation tools and softbodies (at least) are going to be part of that.

The position that you seem to be coming from of that of a seasoned Guru, if this is the case you must have heard of the dynamics that the other packages have (Maya, 3DSM, et al.) and have come to the conclusion that dynamics are and should be an integrated part of a 3D animation package to provide complex effects that would take too much time to do it by hand.

Kind Regards
Simon Harvey

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:04 am

Is it really useful?

It can be, depends on what you want to make.
Some requests seem/look "feature happy", like in "trigger happy"; cool to have, but not much more than that. In my view that's because some requests are not much more then a fingerpoint to something cool. If the request would be a document on how to fit the feature into blender it would look more like a serious blender improvement.

In my view dynamics are very cool to have, they change a scene to a more realistic scene in an instance. Little swing on a lamp, or a pushing a chair. On hair dynamics are pretty much essential.

Explosions are very happy with dynamics, or other demolish stuff to.

But sometimes you just need a fluid simulator, like currently I'm making an animation for gore tex, and how it's water resisant. An exNan colega is poring milk in a glass for his job. Obviously we are not using blender, but not because we don't want to.

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:21 pm

You didn't get it, it was a rhetoric question.
i know what can we do with softbodieZzZ

If coders can do that easily, why not, if they can do that without neglecting important part of blender, why not.

It isn't because it's free that we have to say
You underestimate what Blender could be.
Maybe, you are too modest :)

I'm not a guru, but i'm not a kid who's playing with "softbodysed" suzanne.
I prefer to have few solid tools now than a lot of semi-tools for the next 2years.

You can do animation without softbody but obviously isn't a click'n'play work.

well, it's bothering as features.

let's wait a mature blender.

cheers

ps: where can we see the roadmap (official)?

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:06 pm

coltseaver wrote:let's wait a mature blender.
No, let's not wait, let's try to do things, if possible together.

bmud

Post by bmud » Tue May 10, 2005 5:20 am

I concur with joeri. This is a fantastic demo link. Fluid dynamics ARE very important to be shooting towards. Glu3D and RealFlow are the leading dynamic fluid simulators. They work well. They are also very slow. But the end results are amazing. Why don't you pull out your copy of Shek and watch the prince pour his glass of milk. in slow motion. at least twice. That's some nice stuff.

RealFlow has interesting advancements on the technology like "sharpening" and "wet maps". I bet we could do even more.

tuinbels

Post by tuinbels » Fri May 13, 2005 5:22 pm