Average age of Blender users?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

halibut

Post by halibut » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:22 pm

joeri wrote:
halibut wrote:
joeri wrote:Me? I'm 38, I was talking about Ton.
Ton is 21?!
Yes, he was 12 when he made blender. ;)
Ok I have seen pictures now :P

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:55 pm

If Ton is only 21, then how in the world did he start NaN way back then. And if I'm not corrected, didn't he also start NeoGeo? He couldn't have been programming since age 1. :?: :?

rednelb

Post by rednelb » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:25 pm

mchs3d wrote:If Ton is only 21, then how in the world did he start NaN way back then. And if I'm not corrected, didn't he also start NeoGeo? He couldn't have been programming since age 1. :?: :?
what do you mean by age 1? neogeo was co-founded in 1998 that means he was approx 4 years old and that there was an another person - probably his older brother which could be 17 at that time. as we all know, netherlands is extremly liberal country so it sounds quite plausible. and there are several instances indeed when children at age of around 6 start programming. so 4 or 5 years old is not that great deviation from demographical point of view. (for those interesed, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_statistics). or try google.
have nice day! :)

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:33 am

I'm not going to believe it unless somebody has proof. I can't fathom a 4 year-old co-founding one of the largest graphics powerhouses at that time. :x

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:07 am

mchs3d wrote:I'm not going to believe it unless somebody has proof. I can't fathom a 4 year-old co-founding one of the largest graphics powerhouses at that time. :x
It's a joke. It's an age joke. You can't ask someone above a certain age how old they are, because they start feeling old...
So no, Ton is not 21... Not that he is 50, but also not in his:
SamAdam wrote:mid thirties, i believe
But he looks 21 right?
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Ton_Roosendaal.460.0.html

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:17 am

He looks dead... That poor bastard needs a vacation!

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:58 pm

Ah! I forgot to update it with a much better looking picture!

Hey sutabi, "Oceanside CA"? Arrange me 2 weeks holidays in a oceanview house there!

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:18 pm

ton wrote:Ah! I forgot to update it with a much better looking picture!

Hey sutabi, "Oceanside CA"? Arrange me 2 weeks holidays in a oceanview house there!

LOL! VERY COOL!
I'm not sure a holiday is good for you, that's when you do the most innovative coding :P

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:24 am

ton wrote:Ah! I forgot to update it with a much better looking picture!

@_@ the most I can get you is a night @ motel 6...unless you wanna bunk next to me ^_- but the image is a better update lol

Strangedrocker

Post by Strangedrocker » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:39 pm

Well i am 17. so hopefully that helps your little survey

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:04 am

I'm 19. And I'm not in a hurry to hit 20. :lol:

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:06 am

Maybe you don't believe it, but I'm 53 and I love blender as if I were 16.
As you can see, you have enough time to spend with blender.

cessen

Post by cessen » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:24 pm

I'm 20.

bfvietnam

My age 35

Post by bfvietnam » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:25 am

Ton is younger in spirit but older than me.. He was doing abstract art in the 80s.. Yes Ton was a painter before he ever got involved in computer graphics..

I started on the Amiga.. Amiga 1000 then purchased 2000, dropped that
and went for a 3000..

I started, using 3D packages, back with Sculpt 3D on the Amigas.. Then I moved to Impulse's Silver.. Which became Imagine 3D.. Then in college I got access to Wavefront TAV Suite including Dynamation, Kinemation, Composer IPR and 3Design (ala TDI Explore.. Then worked on Alias 7, 8 (Power Animator).. Then did about 6 months of Maya, was disgusted at how Alias screwed up Wavefront's stuff.. And started using Blender.. It was a step backwards, but open source was the future then and I wasn't sure how fast it would go.. Its been a bit slow.. I just recently purchased XSI Foundation.. Its not been has happy a ride as I had hoped, being on XSI but its a learning experience. Someday later I may just come back to the blender platform..

For me its a hobby.. In my college days I was serious, and emphatic about making a living off it.. But these days its just a fantasy, and I spend more of my day developing custom PHP code for websites.

But somewhere in the back of my head, there is a voice tellling me "you have a natural feeling for motion, you are animator".. And its true, I feel how things should look and move.. Its like when you watch a movie you assume the character of the strongest lead role, that's how I am with everything.. I see, I become.. With 3D I can be someone else or something else, that's the allure of 3D..

And it doesn't really matter how much money I have, I can do it, possibly even if I was a bum off the street.. That's the power of blender.. I think the XSI Motto now is a joke "3Democracy", really Blender deserves that title.. But if you talk professional packages, its probably true.. Although, in the 80s Caligari 3D was a 10,000 dollar turnkey system, then the amiga came along, that bumped the price of Caligari down to 2500 dollars, and a lot of people then were comparing Amigas to affordable Quantel Paintboxes..

Note, when I was in college, the Director of the CS department was involved in making demos for Sony's Monitors in the early 80s and he worked on Stan and Stella - the animation with the bird and the fish entitled "Breaking The Ice". That was his youth, and at the time his toy was a Betacam editing deck which I had used to edit my animation footage..

But its so easy now to make animation.. Its lost a bit of the "living on the edge" feeling because the tools are soo accessible.. But its cheap enough to be an art finally.

3D packages haven't changed fundamentally, like polygons are still polygons.. Just you have more tools like IK, UV texture mapping, Nurbs and Subdivision surfaces, and layered structured shading, fur, to play with.. Its just the proceduralizing of everything.. Outside of that, not much has changed for the last 10 years.. Get a copy of Imagine with Steven Worleys Shader package, and you will see what I mean.. But 3DCG is about 30 years old, however, 3D really didn't start to boom until around 87 when it was shown the Juggler Demo on the Amigas.. Before that,
it was a small minority in the world of CG..

CPU power has gotten better.. And there was never graphics cards like we have now, until about 1995.. Unless you wanted to get a SGI.. I'm so glad SGI is no longer involved... SGI's were overpriced.. But I'm sure there a number of closet 3D users my age who will not mention their age.. Its like rock N roll.. Its something that belongs to the youth though it makes you feel young to do it even if you are a bit of a granpa..

indigomonkey

Post by indigomonkey » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:21 am

Whoa... are you OK?