Yay! The GameKit is being printed!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ton
Site Admin

Yay! The GameKit is being printed!

Post by ton »

The designer, Samo 'Xype' Korosec, and myself have been busy producing a new book the past weeks. It's one of the inheritances of the NaN company, a major project a lot of people have put time in. It was finished and to be published early this year... but that didn't happen.

It's the perfect companion for the 2.0 Guide, covering almost everything that has been added since 2.03. Plus, it's an excellent book for people to learn Blender as well.

http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/product ... ucts_id=74

Needless to say, this will be the BF 'donation campaign' for this winter. Check it out, and buy one! Then I can put more time in the coding projects and website here... ;-)

-Ton-

Saluk

Post by Saluk »

Looks nice!

Be nice to see some of those unreleased games as well.

xype

zi gamez

Post by xype »

As far as the games go - I had a look at them and was impressed. Hats down to the NaN content team!

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

Ordered mine already! Looks like a great book! Good Job!

IngieBee

Post by IngieBee »

Got it, thanks

Need a kissy face :oP Love Ingie

kniffo

Post by kniffo »

Ordered! :) now I am waiting for it ... I know, it will be good! :)

Zweistein

Post by Zweistein »

HI,

Will there be any german version of that bock? Or just in english?

xype

Post by xype »

Zweistein wrote:Will there be any german version of that bock? Or just in english?

No german, only english. Wäre zu teuer es zu übersetzen und separat zu drucken. Ausser es findet sich ein Verlag, welcher dies übernehmen würde..

sten

Post by sten »

Awsome stuff :D !!

and when well there be a totally new Guide and for some more linear stuff 8) ??

;)

/ztonzy

snowy_duck

Post by snowy_duck »

yay i'm goona get that. why is it in blender 2.24 and not 2.25? and if u say "not all people have 2.25" then why not put that on thet cd that comes with it?

xype

Post by xype »

snowy_duck wrote:yay i'm goona get that. why is it in blender 2.24 and not 2.25?

The games have been fully tested with 2.23 and 2.24 but not 2.25 - 2.25 is rumored to have some problems with Python or the physics engine (don't remember which). If you want all the people to enjoy a product, you better make sure it works :wink:

billysardar

Post by billysardar »

I think there should be an edition of the book for those who already own the Blender 2.0 guide, without the basic intorduction - this is a waste of paper and it makes the book more expensive!

Goofster

Post by Goofster »

billysardar wrote:I think there should be an edition of the book for those who already own the Blender 2.0 guide, without the basic intorduction - this is a waste of paper and it makes the book more expensive!
and printing an entirely different copy isn't a waste of time and money? :)

xype

Post by xype »

billysardar wrote:I think there should be an edition of the book for those who already own the Blender 2.0 guide, without the basic intorduction - this is a waste of paper and it makes the book more expensive!

The basic introduction is really short compared to the rest of the book + the game functionality reference. But it has to be there because else people would feel totally ripped off - "What?! I bought this book only to find out I have to buy another one?!"

As for waste of paper - generally the thicker the book the less one page costs you - so the price difference might not be as critical as you might think. You can also check it at a local copy shop - those usually demand less per copy if you make 50 or 100 of them, than what they demand for just a few ones.

billysardar

Post by billysardar »

OK... I wasn't really serious. I think I may buy the book... if it is as good as the Blender Guide 2 then it will be well worth the money!