Permission to use Blender for commercial product?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gborbely

Permission to use Blender for commercial product?

Post by gborbely »

Am I permitted to create animated models and scenes with Blender for a proprietary, commercial software product, such as, a PC game created with Java3D? Will the GPL license with respect to Blender
be violated in any way :?:

simonharvey

Re: Permission to use Blender for commercial product?

Post by simonharvey »

gborbely wrote:Am I permitted to create animated models and scenes with Blender for a proprietary, commercial software product, such as, a PC game created with Java3D? Will the GPL license with respect to Blender
be violated in any way :?:
If you include any of blenders GPL'ed code in your product then yes: when you distrubute your product you must distrubute the code as well. If you are creating data with blender then you do not need to didtrubute the source code of your application.

Hope that clears things up.

Simon

gborbely

Are Binaries included in GPL?

Post by gborbely »

Are models and other items created using Blender actually considered as data, or do they in any way contain code or binaries belonging to the Blender product as a whole? I'd just like to make sure that anything created using Blender will not contain any GPL'd output that will eventually be ported to a proprietary product. Could you possiblly tell me what actions, if any while using Blender, will cause any non-data, application specific properties to be inclluded in, let's say, an animated model :?:

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

as long as you don't touch the blender code, what you do is considered as data and is your propriety. You can do models, animations, textures, videos, etc... all that will be your personal work. no gpl in there.

the gpl comes when you want to modifiy the code of blender, or give / sell the blender program to your friends.

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Generally, only standalone executables made from the game engine are a grey area. Check this page out: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/GPL_for_ar ... .html#2127

Cyberdigitus

Post by Cyberdigitus »

How about python scripts?

Since then you only use blender and it's api as is, and don't link to the code directly, i suppose those don't fall under the gpl either?

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

Cyberdigitus wrote:How about python scripts?

Since then you only use blender and it's api as is, and don't link to the code directly, i suppose those don't fall under the gpl either?
if you wrote the script, it is yours to do with as you wish.
but good luck distributing a python script without its sourcecode!

theeth

Post by theeth »

SamAdam wrote:but good luck distributing a python script without its sourcecode!
PYC files maybe?

Like JMS does with PovAnim.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

joeri

Post by joeri »

If a compiler makes a link then it's GPL.
If it's 'glued' or interpreted it's not.